April 2014 Weddings

What should I do right now?

So..
I am getting married April 12, 2014. A Saturday. 
I am booking the church (which is my local church) tomorrow, we are having a post-wedding cake and punch reception AT the church and then heading out to my FI's grandma's for a catered dinner or BBQ. *A small house out by a lake* 
No DJs because we will have speakers and maybe ipod music (haha), but will be hiring a photographer and a videographer.

I have not bought anything for the wedding yet.. should I? 
And should I ask the girls I want to be my bridesmaids if they would agree to be? Same with our groomsmen? 
What should I buy right now? What things should I be doing right now?

Your advise and opinions are appreciated:) 
Lindsey D. marrying love of my life 7.8.2013. Baby #1 on the way mid-October! (:

Re: What should I do right now?

• Also.. 
    to keep the bridesmaids happy.. should I tell them the colors and the basic style I want their dress to be and let them pick it out themselves?? :)
    Lindsey D. marrying love of my life 7.8.2013. Baby #1 on the way mid-October! (:
  • Hi Lindsey!  All you and your fiance need to do right now is dream up and discuss your vision for the day.  You can look up prices for things you know you want as part of your day to help you develop a realistic budget.  If money is a consideration, which it usually is, figure an amount you absolutely won't go over and look for ways to stay within the your range.  Most vendors are booked between 14 and 8 months from your wedding date. 

Many people will tell you to wait until about 8-10 months before the wedding to ask your wedding party.  Friendships can change over the course of a year, and keeping a small wedding party is part of keeping costs low.  You might want to wait until closer to the wedding before you ask your gals!  When you do, definitely ask them (individually) what they would be comfortable spending on a dress.  You can decide if you want them to all wear the same dress or pick their own within a specified color/fabric.  That is your choice.

Just for curiosities sake, why are you have cake and punch first and then dinner after?  Why not just have the cake after the dinner at your reception location? 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2014-weddings_what-should-i-do-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:61a7a4c2-b16b-4dc9-93ee-b04e4cdbdcd6Discussion:37bdaa4f-9014-47b6-a05f-dfa1ea89ea09Post:61db64de-8d57-474d-a04b-5f5ee9e67feb">Re: What should I do right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Lindsey!  All you and your fiance need to do right now is dream up and discuss your vision for the day.  You can look up prices for things you know you want as part of your day to help you develop a realistic budget.  If money is a consideration, which it usually is, figure an amount you absolutely won't go over and look for ways to stay within the your range.  Most vendors are booked between 14 and 8 months from your wedding date.  Many people will tell you to wait until about 8-10 months before the wedding to ask your wedding party.  Friendships can change over the course of a year, and keeping a small wedding party is part of keeping costs low.  You might want to wait until closer to the wedding before you ask your gals!  When you do, definitely ask them (individually) what they would be comfortable spending on a dress.  You can decide if you want them to all wear the same dress or pick their own within a specified color/fabric.  That is your choice.  Just for curiosities sake, why are you have cake and punch first and then dinner after?  Why not just have the cake after the dinner at your reception location? 
    Posted by RWS2011[/QUOTE] Thanks for the advise!:) And we are going to have dinner after the wedding reception because his grandma's place is small and not everyone will be able to come to it. Or I would do it that way. :) 
  • messijen3messijen3 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012

Great date, thats when my FI and I are getting married too!!

We have already booked our venue only b/c it books up very quickly. As far as everything else goes I'm just brainstorming now and getting ideas of what I love and what I don't love so much. I want to get as many ideas together now that I can so next year when I really start the planning process it will hopefully flow a little smoother than if I had just started picking stuff out.

Just enjoy the process!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2014-weddings_what-should-i-do-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:61a7a4c2-b16b-4dc9-93ee-b04e4cdbdcd6Discussion:37bdaa4f-9014-47b6-a05f-dfa1ea89ea09Post:e2b83e0e-f294-4871-8834-0451d359d43e">Re: What should I do right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Great date, thats when my FI and I are getting married too!! We have already booked our venue only b/c it books up very quickly. As far as everything else goes I'm just brainstorming now and getting ideas of what I love and what I don't love so much. I want to get as many ideas together now that I can so next year when I really start the planning process it will hopefully flow a little smoother than if I had just started picking stuff out. Just enjoy the process!!
    Posted by messijen3[/QUOTE]Haha, well that's cool we are getting married on the same day! I am just brainstorming now as well.. getting ideas and stuff. Planning a bit and just enjoying being engaged. The important things are what I'm REALLY just planning right now other than that I'm just playing with ideas. I know it will come fast though! Good luck to you and your man:D
  • Change of plans. We have a venue for our reception instead of his grandma's because of room.. I'm excited! So we will have the regular wedding and then reception. Yay. 
  • We have our venue and asked my girls right away. Which was 2 yrs out. I have all family and 2 friends from middle school (I graduated high school 10yrs ago I think our friendship will last). My fiance and I are looking to plan as much as possible this yr do we don't have to stress out and I can start my diy projects beginning of next year to get everything done! I'm way to anal to do things 8 months out. I'm 100% a planner. My advice is plan as much as you want. It will take pressure off later. 

Ps imI'm getting married a day before you! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2014-weddings_what-should-i-do-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:61a7a4c2-b16b-4dc9-93ee-b04e4cdbdcd6Discussion:37bdaa4f-9014-47b6-a05f-dfa1ea89ea09Post:482c1069-2f6f-44e2-ba1f-11294eafb119">Re: What should I do right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have our venue and asked my girls right away. Which was 2 yrs out. I have all family and 2 friends from middle school (I graduated high school 10yrs ago I think our friendship will last). My fiance and I are looking to plan as much as possible this yr do we don't have to stress out and I can start my diy projects beginning of next year to get everything done! I'm way to anal to do things 8 months out. I'm 100% a planner. My advice is plan as much as you want. It will take pressure off later.  Ps imI'm getting married a day before you! 
    Posted by angellqt143[/QUOTE]I am the same way, I am ALREADY stressing out about the wedding b/c my fiance isn't quite helping me save yet. He's been trying to fix up his truck and stuff/: I told him he has until this coming April and then I want his help! I I asked most of my girls already, he hasn't really done much yet, you know how guys are.. they are most of the time last minute people. (: <div>I am also planning as much as possible and as cheap as possible. I am very excited. </div><div>That's cool we are almost wedding day twins. Haha. :D 

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2014-weddings_what-should-i-do-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:61a7a4c2-b16b-4dc9-93ee-b04e4cdbdcd6Discussion:37bdaa4f-9014-47b6-a05f-dfa1ea89ea09Post:eed62f38-d465-4f9d-86c0-f00fa67995f0">Re: What should I do right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What should I do right now? : I am the same way, I am ALREADY stressing out about the wedding b/c my fiance isn't quite helping me save yet. He's been trying to fix up his truck and stuff/: I told him he has until this coming April and then I want his help! I I asked most of my girls already, he hasn't really done much yet, you know how guys are.. they are most of the time last minute people. (:  I am also planning as much as possible and as cheap as possible. I am very excited.  That's cool we are almost wedding day twins. Haha. :D 
    Posted by lindseyandzach2014[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Hey almost twin! Dont worry about your man he will come around. My fiance was all against a wedding now he has more opinions then I do haha!</div><div>
    </div><div>How has planning been?</div>
  • Well lindsey you and I were wedding twins until I had to change the date of my wedding. My venue is booked on that day so I wasnt too happy. But oh well it just makes it closer to the day that I will be Mrs. Lewis. Very excited and I have already started looking at ideas and interviewing photographers,videographers,hairstylists,potential wedding planners. So Im trying to be all the way on top of the ball. I havent asked my girls yet. But I have 4 daughters so they all will be in the wedding and I have 6 friends and family members who I am sure will be more than happy to share that day with me and future hubby :) Oh and my FI is last min with everything as well. Thats why the night before the wedding I taking the playstation with me. So he will have no excuse on running late lol.
    Soon to be Mrs. Lewis
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2014-weddings_what-should-i-do-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:61a7a4c2-b16b-4dc9-93ee-b04e4cdbdcd6Discussion:37bdaa4f-9014-47b6-a05f-dfa1ea89ea09Post:43cf1b83-c7f9-46ac-9b56-62f14972a90f">What should I do right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So.. I am getting married April 12, 2014. A Saturday.  I am booking the church (which is my local church) tomorrow, we are having a post-wedding cake and punch reception AT the church and then heading out to my FI's grandma's for a catered dinner or BBQ. *A small house out by a lake*  No DJs because we will have speakers and maybe ipod music (haha), but will be hiring a photographer and a videographer. I have not bought anything for the wedding yet.. should I?  And should I ask the girls I want to be my bridesmaids if they would agree to be? Same with our groomsmen?  What should I buy right now? What things should I be doing right now? Your advise and opinions are appreciated:) 
    Posted by lindseyandzach2014[/QUOTE]

my advise to you is to skip the videographer i had it for my first wedding and it was cheesy and rarely watched it there is a app wedding snap check it out .............spend money elsewhere,.come up with a theme first , colors first b/4 making purchases .Check out the budget board good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards