Registry and Gift Forum

Cash gifts and thank you notes.

I got a bunch of cash gifts for my shower and I have been working on the thank you notes. I dont know a apporiate way to say thank you for the cash... 
Like if you got a toaster you would say, "thank you so much for the toaster! I love it and can't wait to try it out." Or something lol. But what do you say when someone gave you cash? I come from a family where we really dont talk about money, at all. Its considered incrediably rude. Like at my shower, I didn;t want to open the gifts that were just cards but my FSIL kept telling me to, so i just opened then held them close to me and close the card quickly. I dont know we just dont talk about money lol, its probably werid. 

Anyway, I feel like its rude to just say, :thanks for the cash". How do i word it?
Thank you so much!!

Re: Cash gifts and thank you notes.

• ems27ems27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cash-gifts-and-thank-you-notes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:c8d779f3-fdda-40a5-9c27-bbef984afe64Post:d5abb3bf-a123-4221-a19d-35e527942993">Cash gifts and thank you notes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got a bunch of cash gifts for my shower and I have been working on the thank you notes. I dont know a apporiate way to say thank you for the cash...  Like if you got a toaster you would say, "thank you so much for the toaster! I love it and can't wait to try it out." Or something lol. But what do you say when someone gave you cash? I come from a family where we really dont talk about money, at all. Its considered incrediably rude. Like at my shower, I didn;t want to open the gifts that were just cards but my FSIL kept telling me to, so i just opened then held them close to me and close the card quickly. I dont know we just dont talk about money lol, its probably werid.  Anyway, I feel like its rude to just say, :thanks for the cash". How do i word it? Thank you so much!!
    Posted by id012[/QUOTE]

I tend to write them something along the lines of "Thank you so much for the money, it will certainly help towards (the downpayment on our house) (our new stove) (something else)."  

My engagement checks have been specific like that; one aunt's check went towards my veil, my grandma's towards my tiara, another aunt towards the gown.
    June 2013 August Sig Challenge
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I've gotten cash gifts in the past, I've written something like, "Thank you so much for your generous gift. It will certainly help when it's time to buy textbooks for my first semester." I'm like you in that mentioning "cash" or "money" makes me uncomfortable, and in my social circle, money is rarely discussed and amounts are never spoken of.

I've heard that if you want to be more specific, it's acceptable to say "Thank you for the generous money gift," but I personally don't think it's necessary--they know they gave cash, and if you mention how you plan to spend it, that's alluding to the fact that it was a gift of money.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Miss Manners 101: "Thank you for your generous gift. We can't wait to put it towards our new sofa." Or whatever.
  • i always give cash for a wedding/shower... i always get a thank you card back that says... "Thank you so much for your generous gift." It's what I will say in my thank you cards as well...
    Visit The Knot! White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 217 Invited...
    image 166 Got their boots on!
    image 49 Missin' out.
    image 2 are makin' us mailbox stalk!
    RSVP Date: September 1
  • ems27ems27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    "Generous gift" is great wording :-)
    June 2013 August Sig Challenge
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I always said that it would come in handy as we continue to make our house into a home - since we had just bought a house.  I would just say that it will be useful for ____.   
  • It's not rude to mention what you're going to use the money for -- in fact, it's preferred.

Thank you so much for your generous gift.  We will put it to good use when we pick out new furniture for our living room.  It was so good to see you at the shower.  Thanks so much for coming.  Love, Sue
  • IAWPP, thank them for their generous gift and tell them what you plan on putting the money towards.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards