California-San Diego

Comic Con Weekend

San Diego ladies! Has anyone gotten married on Comic Con weekend? If so, what were things like for your OOT guests in terms of airfare and hotels? Any suggestions re: hotels and/or vacation rentals to check out? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Comic Con Weekend

• A friend got married in La Jolla on comic-con weekend and had no trouble with hotels up that way (PB, La Jolla area). It is dicey downtown, though. Not sure about airfare.
  • We got married Comic Con weekend in 2009. With so many different areas and hotel price points, we didn't even do a hotel block and our guests still didn't have any problems getting rooms. I did make sure to spread the word that there was a major event going on and that it would be a good idea to book early, but most people stayed in Mission Bay/Sea World area or Mission Valley/Hazard Center area. I'm not sure what impact CC had on airfare though. HTH!
    imageimage
  • Thanks saritak! So good to hear from someone that got married that weekend. I'm date twins with Chels :) We did do a block but EVERY HOTEL told us that every single hotel in all of San Diego county would be booked up that weekend. We were looking at hotels early so I checked during this comic con and there were a bunch that were available that weekend. I think they try to scare you!! Def great advice to ask people to book early.

Love your puppy pictures!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes! Date twins!!!

Thank you for your input, saritak! It's good to know that there are other brides out there besides me and kay who have picked that crazy weekend. :) It sounds like things worked out just fine for your guests.

You know kay, I am beginning to think that they are trying to scare me. I have also been told by every hotel I've called that they will all be booked. I guess I am bummed about the price. The lowest price I have been quoted so far is $209/night. Anyway, I just sent out an email to my bridesmaids advising them of the situation and encouraging them to make their travel plans early - even now, if possible! My parents are looking into vacation rentals. Now, I just need to get FI to do the same... honestly, I'm not even sure if all of his groomsmen know what day the wedding is! LOL.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMG! The Groomsmen are the worst. One of them booked the hotel starting the day of the wedding. (1) were you not planning on coming to the rehersal (2) you know you can't check in until 3pm when the wedding starts at 5pm. Men, haha.
    Chels I really think they do try to scare us but better safe than sorry. You can always put wording in the e-mail/STD/wedding website that will point guests towards sites like expedia/orbitz etc.

I know it will work out for us!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_comic-con-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:d2f899ae-983f-4425-a98e-34b4c2e7af9aPost:83443a4a-c7c2-4dd3-97c3-99f3cb71fdbf">Re: Comic Con Weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE] Love your puppy pictures!!
    Posted by kay136[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks! The Shih Tzu is at Coronado Dog Beach--love it there!</div><div>
    </div><div>I thought for quite awhile about doing a hotel block, but we had people coming from all over the place, with some looking for just a place to crash for the night (H's family is mostly in Orange Co.) and others looking to turn it into more of a vacation (my family is mostly in WA). So I just put up some links to the various SD areas and the hotels there, as well as a couple of links to different vacation rentals along with a mention of it being CC and to book early. I had one aunt and uncle stay in Gaslamp, but they used credit card points/miles, so I'm pretty sure they booked early anyway. Our wedding was in Bay Park/Mission Bay and our reception was in La Mesa, so nobody had to go into downtown unless they wanted to.</div>
    imageimage
  • We got married the weekend after the ComicCon and OTL weekend in Mission Bay. It was a determining factor in picking out a date. I would NOT pick that wekeend for your wedding especially if you have a lot of OOT guests coming. Airfare skyrockets and hotels are hard to come by. I would highly re-think your wedidng date just from experience.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Wedding location and vendors are booked so "highly re-thinking" the wedding date isn't an option. I wouldn't want to anyway. I actually booked my wedding knowing it was Comic Con weekend. We are getting married in La Jolla. We are having a lot of OOT guests and we were able to get a hotel room block that was no more expensive than any other weekend in the summer. Also, over this past Comic Con weekend I checked hotels around SD and there were still hotels available the week of. Saritak had the experience of getting married over Comic Con weekend and it worked out so I think we are good. :) Positive thoughts Chels it will work out!!! Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2012
    Kay & Chels,

You guys will be just fine and everything will work out beautifully! Just remind people to book early--hotel, flights, rental car, etc. (I made a point of putting on my website that CC is a major event drawing over 125,000 people to SD and having our parents spread the word as well) and stay away from Gaslamp/Convention Center. :)

Sincerely,
    A bride who got married during CC weekend and had no issues

PS: We also had no issues getting the private room at the restaurant in PB where we had our rehearsal dinner the Friday night of CC. It's all about planning ahead, which it sounds like you ladies are doing.
    imageimage
  • Chels&JimmyChels&Jimmy member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    My parents also suggested changing our date, but at this point it just isn't feasible. We had already booked our venues, photographer, caterer, DJ, and DOC before realizing that we were getting married on the same weekend as the Con. Not only would we lose out on our deposits for most of those things; we would have to pay them all over again! 

I am definitely planning ahead and asking all of our guests to do the same. FI and I have contacted our WP and VIP family members and informed them of the situation... some of them are already looking into/booking their flights and hotels or vacation rentals, so I think they are getting the picture! I ordered our STD's last night and have written out a short letter informing our guests about CC and suggesting websites to check out for accommodations, etc. I will be on hand to help them book in whatever way possible... and that's about all I can do, right? I know everything will work out - I just tend to be a worrier about things. I appreciate all of the suggestions/support, ladies! :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_comic-con-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:64Discussion:d2f899ae-983f-4425-a98e-34b4c2e7af9aPost:595494af-cdf0-4f40-82db-d7246070746e">Re: Comic Con Weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sincerely, A bride who got married during  CC weekend and had no issues
    Posted by saritak[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It's really great to hear from someone that did the same thing!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_comic-con-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:64Discussion:d2f899ae-983f-4425-a98e-34b4c2e7af9aPost:c63f9f61-7999-4a59-a418-445a5b28beed">Re: Comic Con Weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know everything will work out - I just tend to be a worrier about things. I appreciate all of the suggestions/support, ladies! :) 
    Posted by Chels&Jimmy[/QUOTE]

I"m with you on that. I worry about WAY to much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_comic-con-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:d2f899ae-983f-4425-a98e-34b4c2e7af9aPost:c95224c4-5ca2-4113-800e-025c16914808">Re: Comic Con Weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Comic Con Weekend : Thanks! It's really great to hear from someone that did the same thing!!
    Posted by kay136[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards