Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Candy Buffet Help!

My fiance and I make homemade candy, so we wanted to incorporate that into our reception and have a candy buffet full of homemade candy instead of having a cake. The only downfall of doing this is that there is no cake cutting moment at the reception and I feel like there needs to be something because of tradition. I thought about just having a small cake just for the cutting purposes, but I feel like that will confuse guests by not serving them cake.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Re: Candy Buffet Help!

• AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Not everyone eats candy, so it would be a good idea to have at least some cake for your guests.  You could have cupcakes or a sheet cake available, and then either cut the sheet cake or a small round cake.

Years ago, a cousin of mine had two weddings - they had the real one in California with her family, then in WA state with our family, they did another ceremony and had a small family reception.  They had a sheet cake with their cake topper on it, and they cut it and fed it to each other.  It was a nice twist and no one minded. 

HTH

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I think if you are going to cut cake, you have to serve cake. People would be expecting it at that point.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can still have a candy buffet and cake (I did).  You can provide bags or something for them to take the candy home in and that can be their favor.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_candy-buffet-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:82978fd6-5f99-4536-9448-e697fa1a94b5Post:f84b3416-9c8e-4cb3-bb3e-3374c62ff70c">Re: Candy Buffet Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can still have a candy buffet and cake (I did).  You can provide bags or something for them to take the candy home in and that can be their favor.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this.. we did the same. We had our traditional wedding cake that we cut and then was served to everybody, but we also had a candy buffet set up which were our guest favors. They were able to eat some there, but also take home as much as they wanted in the take out boxes we had out for them.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    My friend also had a candy buffet but like PPs said they also had cake. Don't go expensive with the cake, just get a nice small one to cut into and sheet cakes from safeway or costco to serve. Then let the guests help themselves at the buffet!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • bltatabltata member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If the two of you make candy, maybe you could make a special showpiece, probably out of chocolate, that is large enough for 2 or three bites.  Put that on a special plate or display and actually cut the chocolate piece, like a truffle or pecan cluster or something, maybe with a monogram.  You could even do this with a beautiful piece of fudge.  That way there isn't a cake and no confusion, and you still get your candy idea.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards