Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Stand Mixer?

Are they really worth it? My grandma ALWAYS buys a Kitchen-Aid mixer for the women in our family....and I don't know if I want to register for one. I do bake on occasion, and just use a hand mixer without any issue. It seems like people talk about them like they're the cure to cancer or something-are they really worth the money or the counter space it's going to take up? We're going to be in an apartment for at least another year, so space will be limited.

Re: Stand Mixer?

• Options
    I love to bake, but don't do so often because of the whole really high calorie goodness the baking results in :)

I'd love a KitchenAid.  I tend to think that things just come out better with one vs. a regular hand mixer.  There's also different attachments to make different things (whisks, bread hooks). 

How much do you bake/cook?  Mashed potatoes, whipped egg whites, breads, cakes, cookies, etc... all from scratch!  If you enjoy those types of things (or think you will in the future), I'd register for it.  They last forever, too (my mom has had her's for at least twenty years).  If you're in to that kind of stuff, you won't regret it.
  • Options
    Would you like to bake more in the future? They can be used to whipping and mixing a lot of things, not just batter. Also, we're definitely storing a few things until we have the house/room for it all. But KA mixers last forever, so having one now means you won't have to buy it later. 

I registered for one, didn't get it, and probably won't buy it soon. Maybe in the future if I have need for it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I enjoy baking, but like you said Joy, don't do it often, because if I bake it, I'm eating it. I'm starting to LOVE cooking though...maybe it wouldn't hurt to register for and just put in storage until I have room for it...
  • Options
    I'm ticked that ours is packed away while our condo is staged.

There are certain things you can do with a stand mixer that you just can't do with a hand mixer.  Plus, it's easier on your arms.

If you're going to do any kind of entertaining I think it's a great thing to have.  Plus, you can use the attachments for things like slicing potatoes, making pasta or grinding meats.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stand-mixer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a1c4c6a-575f-4a88-8f17-20a375609d28Post:8b4a255f-716a-4b97-9f72-e07cc2f17e2b">Re: Stand Mixer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I enjoy baking, but like you said Joy, don't do it often, because if I bake it, I'm eating it. I'm starting to LOVE cooking though...maybe it wouldn't hurt to register for and just put in storage until I have room for it...
    Posted by Jill9288[/QUOTE]

Registering for it can't hurt, right?  If you get it, you'll (most likely) love it!  If you don't get it, you can decide for yourself if/when you want to invest in one. 
  • Options
    I have one. FI got for me as a present when we were first dating, and I named it Victoria because I feel like my cooking skills will never live up to its regal presence in my kitchen, and also I think when my back is turned she makes fun of my shoes. Victoria is very good at mixing up cakes, though, and that's pretty much all I use her for. Maybe someday I'll think of something else to do with her.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    love it Sarah - I love naming random things. 

I wish I could bake - I say if your grandma wants to buy you one - get it.  It at last makes your kitchen look domestic.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Haha, Sarah, that's awesome We call the GPS Samantha...but that's what her "voice" is called, so I don't think that really counts.

Andy, very true. I'm thinking the chrome one so it will at least kind of blend in w/ the rest of the stuff? We still have a bit before we're registering for anything, but I'm trying to take inventory of things that we actually need vs want
  • Options
    I love our mixer. It's great for mashed potatoes. I also use it to mix pie crust dough from scratch. But if you don't bake a lot, you probably won't get much use from it. Still, it doesn't hurt to have one!
  • Options
    I love my mixer, but once again, I'm a baker.  I can do all sorts of fun stuff with it (yule logs, angel food cakes, most cakes in general) that I was afraid or unable to do without it.  I'd definitely say register for it.  If you get it, you get it.  If you don't, you can always but it when you really want it.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    Mine is named Bertha the Big Blue Mixer :-)

I use it for way more than just baking.  I have a 6 qt big one, and it'll make up 5 pounds of hamburger for jerky without blinking, or mix up 5 pounds of mashed potatoes.  It made awesome whipped cream before I got a whip cream charger.  I think what I like most about it is I can just toss stuff in and let it mix while I'm getting the rest of the ingredients.  It seriously takes less than 10 minutes to mix up cookie dough, and that's being slow about it.  So it frees up a lot of time; rather than having to hold the handheld to mix, then stop and add stuff, hold again, add stuff, ect.

That, and they never wear out, at least not that I've heard.  My grandma has had hers for decades, and she uses the hell out of it.  I would register for it now and store it if you have to.  Even if you don't want it or feel like you need it now, you may very well in a few years, and be glad you have it.
  • Options
    I know what you mean. I really wanted to put a Dyson on there, but H said no. We got mostly money for our wedding. We are still working on purchasing the rest of the items from our registries slowly but surely. Things have been tight, and we unfortunately ended up spending the wedding money on bills.

When our parents ask what we want for Christmas, I am telling them anything off of our registries.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stand-mixer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a1c4c6a-575f-4a88-8f17-20a375609d28Post:7394f336-50c8-4455-af3b-87d9e916b419">Re: Stand Mixer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think we're going to register for it. I want to register for a roomba and scooba too, but I kind of feel bad registering for all three, because they're kind of big ticket items..
    Posted by Jill9288[/QUOTE]
    Don't feel bad, as long as you have a lot of options, it's fine.  We had a lot of people group together and buy bigger items off our registry.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Definitely don't feel bad about registering for expensive things.  People will buy you what they want to buy you and give the amounts they feel comfortable giving.  Just because it's there doesn't mean someone who can't afford it has to buy it, KWIM?  But this way, someone who CAN afford it can give you something you really want and don't feel comfortable buying for yourself.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    I LOVE our Stand Mixer(s). We have two. One is a bit older, and the motor is sort of running out, so we use that for cakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc. The newer one we use for bread, since it takes a lot of weight, etc.
  • Options
    Also, there are a ton of attachments. We have a meat grinder (make sausage, or hamburger patties) and the ice cream maker attachment. We LOVE.
  • Options
    I bake A LOT and I love the pasta attachment.  But if I didn't use it, my FI would...we don't much pre-made because I have a weird allergy and it can be difficult
    The last flower to bloom is often the most beautiful Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love my Kitchenaid.  I bought it on my own a few years ago because Lowe's had a misprint in their and it was only $140 instead of $399.  I couldnt' turn it down. 

I do like to bake but don't do it that often.  But I love it when I use it.  I also use it whenever I make dips and stuff because it mixes so well.  I just love that you can set it to low and walk around and do stuff, and you don't have to hold the mixer.  So you can let it mix whats in there as you get other ingredients together. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Grandmas are never wrong
  • Options
    A compromise, if there are other big ticket items you'd like, is to register for a less expensive mixer.  My DH already had a Kitchen Aide, but I had a Sunbeam stand mixer I received as a gift 20 years ago and it's great--I actually prefer it to the KA (but maybe that's because I'm used to it).  They cost $70-100 (probably less with a sale or coupon), and are light enough that you can put them in a cupboard and pull out when you need it, which is tough with a KA mixer.  I use mine for baking, mashed potatoes, bread dough, etc.

Once you use a stand mixer you'll wonder how you ever managed with a hand mixer  :)
  • Options
    I'm really late to this, but yes get the mixer.

I love mine so much, we paid to have it shipped over with the rest of my stuff from the states.  H is getting a replacement motor for it (so it will run on 220).  That option was much less $$ than re-buying it here.  My model is $899 down here.  so a new motor for $180 is a steal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Like PPs said, I use it for a lot more than just baking.  And seriously, even if you don't cook/bake a lot now, my mom has had her Kitchen Aid for as long as I can remember.  It's been at least 25+ years, and it still runs like a champ.  And after having used a hand mixer for a long time, I completely appreciate having it. 
    Visit The Nest!

My Planning Bio Married Bio

I'm not a newb, aka swim1011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards