Hawaii
Options

Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost...

Hi everyone... I hope to get some ideas and suggestions for a wedding reception in the Honolulu area.  This will be a destination wedding where pretty much all family/friends will be flying in.  We're coming in from Tempe, AZ (Phoenix).

Now, we're not having a super formal wedding (it will be at Angel's Bay beach) and we don't want the reception to be super formal either.  My husband doesn't want anything too cliche like a luau, however he does want some nice food.  Are there any reception venues where resort attire is the norm and can hold about 50 guests.  We are really trying to keep the reception budget to $2000-$3000. It'd be amazing if we can have the reception on one of the beaches.... Not sure if that's even possible.

The wedding is over a year away, and I thought I'd get some pre-planning research started, and I'm already feeling overwhelmed. 

Also, does anyone know of a good wedding cake vendor?

Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost...

• Options
    Congratulations! Unfortunately all of the beaches in Hawaii are public-- you can't have any dinners or parties or anything on the beach. Also, alcohol on beaches is frowned upon generally. There are lots of great open-air restaurants with views of the ocean. One place that comes to mind is Tiki's or Duke's. I would check TripAdvisor or Yelp to narrow it down. I would probably have your venue picked before you order a cake- because some restaurants will not let you bring in your own cake (some require you to order it through them). Most places on the beach are pretty casual and you can get away with shorts/aloha attire or more formal, depending on your preference. Good luck and let us know what other questions you have!
  • Options
    Thanks KnockOut~

Yea, I figured that the beaches are public and no parties/dinners can be held on the beach.. but it didn't hurt to get a confirmation.

We would like some place with a tad less tacky decor, but still the same type of fun atmosphere as the Tiki's or Duke's.  We would like a bit more privacy though so we can play our own music and such.

I definitely will be asking the venues regarding the wedding cake... but I do need some recommendations for wedding cake vendors!  And a DJ too.  Do most venues have the speaker equipments and then the DJ will just hook up his own mixer/music stuff....?  I have absolutely no clue.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_honolulu-wedding-reception-on-a-budget-suggestions-please-im-so-lost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f0ed5401-31cf-49a1-bd44-4657a70292e0Post:ccc959b9-d38a-4274-9b84-108ab64a686a">Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations! Unfortunately all of the beaches in Hawaii are public-- you can't have any dinners or parties or anything on the beach. Also, alcohol on beaches is frowned upon generally. There are lots of great open-air restaurants with views of the ocean. One place that comes to mind is Tiki's or Duke's. I would check TripAdvisor or Yelp to narrow it down. I would probably have your venue picked before you order a cake- because some restaurants will not let you bring in your own cake (some require you to order it through them). Most places on the beach are pretty casual and you can get away with shorts/aloha attire or more formal, depending on your preference. Good luck and let us know what other questions you have!
    Posted by knockout7075[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Hi,

We are getting married in 2 weeks in Waikiki and having our reception at the Coconut Club which is located on the 21st floor of Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, it is also owned by Tiki's.  It is private, would only be your wedding and you can play your own music, no dj's allowed though. You can also take your own cake, we are getting ours from Cake Works, they were recommended by our wedding planner.

Good luck with your planning!
  • Options
    Not sure if fits 50, but New Otani hotel had a little oceanfront banquet room
  • Options
    Hello Oahu Bride!

Thanks for that suggestion, lemme look into that for sure.  I think I read that I can only book the Coconut Club until 10pm, is that true?  Food-wise, must you order food from Tiki's or can you book your own catering?  I will look into Cake Works too~  Thank you so much again!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_honolulu-wedding-reception-on-a-budget-suggestions-please-im-so-lost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f0ed5401-31cf-49a1-bd44-4657a70292e0Post:df8d1ae7-ca72-498f-ae6d-e278de837b87">Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, We are getting married in 2 weeks in Waikiki and having our reception at the Coconut Club which is located on the 21st floor of Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, it is also owned by Tiki's.  It is private, would only be your wedding and you can play your own music, no dj's allowed though. You can also take your own cake, we are getting ours from Cake Works, they were recommended by our wedding planner. Good luck with your planning!
    Posted by Oahu Bride[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I will definitely look into the banquet room at the New Otani Hotel.  I'm doing all the research right now to see what I can narrow down to.. and then get quotes and prices.  Thanks bunches for the suggestion!

Anyone else reading this particular post, please, if you have any other suggestions, keep them coming!!!! The more choices, the better! Thanks! Congratulations to everyone here!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_honolulu-wedding-reception-on-a-budget-suggestions-please-im-so-lost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f0ed5401-31cf-49a1-bd44-4657a70292e0Post:43b188f2-9977-4774-8652-9eaba3b54889">Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not sure if fits 50, but New Otani hotel had a little oceanfront banquet room
    Posted by destiny1108[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_honolulu-wedding-reception-on-a-budget-suggestions-please-im-so-lost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f0ed5401-31cf-49a1-bd44-4657a70292e0Post:7b2a3bc4-0a96-4076-a665-c31546c1d7a3">Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello Oahu Bride! Thanks for that suggestion, lemme look into that for sure.  I think I read that I can only book the Coconut Club until 10pm, is that true?  Food-wise, must you order food from Tiki's or can you book your own catering?  I will look into Cake Works too~  Thank you so much again! In Response to Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost... :
    Posted by sp1cyshrimp[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes that is correct you can only have the Coconut Club until 10pm.  Other places we looked at was only until 9pm!  Not sure about the food, you can take your own desserts for $1 extra pp, this is what we are doing but having the buffet for our main meal. </div>
  • Options
    10pm isn't too bad, how many hours are you booking? I'm thinking 5pm-10pm should be enough time to eat, mingle, party, drink and be silly.

How many guests do you have, and I hope you don't mind me asking what you were quoted to have the reception at the Coconut Club.  I'm thinking about either Cake Works or A Cake Life - both have quite good reviews.

You said that Coconut Club don't allow you to book your own DJ.. so do they have their own DJ services? Or do we hook our mp3 player to their speaker equipment?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, because after looking at details of the Coconut Club, it really looks like one of the strong contenders.  As for  table settings/chair covers/center pieces, were you able to get the Coconut Club to provide it for you or do you have an events company take care of the decor?

Thank you so much for your help!  I truly appreciate all advice you have to offer!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_honolulu-wedding-reception-on-a-budget-suggestions-please-im-so-lost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f0ed5401-31cf-49a1-bd44-4657a70292e0Post:3eecb568-2946-4762-9190-8b3e9a5608de">Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost... : Yes that is correct you can only have the Coconut Club until 10pm.  Other places we looked at was only until 9pm!  Not sure about the food, you can take your own desserts for $1 extra pp, this is what we are doing but having the buffet for our main meal. 
    Posted by Oahu Bride[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_honolulu-wedding-reception-on-a-budget-suggestions-please-im-so-lost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f0ed5401-31cf-49a1-bd44-4657a70292e0Post:449afb83-acf6-453f-9e5a-50d2bed5b313">Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost...</a>:
    [QUOTE]10pm isn't too bad, how many hours are you booking? I'm thinking 5pm-10pm should be enough time to eat, mingle, party, drink and be silly. How many guests do you have, and I hope you don't mind me asking what you were quoted to have the reception at the Coconut Club.  I'm thinking about either Cake Works or A Cake Life - both have quite good reviews. You said that Coconut Club don't allow you to book your own DJ.. so do they have their own DJ services? Or do we hook our mp3 player to their speaker equipment? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, because after looking at details of the Coconut Club, it really looks like one of the strong contenders.  As for  table settings/chair covers/center pieces, were you able to get the Coconut Club to provide it for you or do you have an events company take care of the decor? Thank you so much for your help!  I truly appreciate all advice you have to offer! In Response to Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost... :
    Posted by sp1cyshrimp[/QUOTE]

<div>Our reception is starting at 6pm.  We have 19 guests inlcuding myself & FH (we are travelling from Australia). We are paying around $25 pp for the buffet only but I think the prices have changed since we booked over 12 months ago.  We are getting our desserts from Cake Works along with our wedding cake.  I think you can only hook up an mp3 player.  As for table settings etc I am pretty sure Coconut Club provide some things but I honestly didn't like them so have hired everything through L'Saisons (our wedding planner organised all this for us) except the chairs.  I am not sure where we are hiring these from as our Wedding Planner as organised them for us.</div><div>
    </div><div>Feel free to ask me any other questions.  Can let you know after our wedding how it all went.</div>
  • Options
    Just had my reception at Tiki's Coconut Club :)
  • Options
    Thanks Orange, I'll check that out and let you know if I have any questions!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_honolulu-wedding-reception-on-a-budget-suggestions-please-im-so-lost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f0ed5401-31cf-49a1-bd44-4657a70292e0Post:b4816bc0-d3d6-404c-9e04-592ca4d6796a">Re: Honolulu Wedding Reception on a Budget: Suggestions Please! I'm so lost...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just had my reception at Tiki's Coconut Club :) check out my previous post:  <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_vendor-reviews-12">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_vendor-reviews-12</a>
    Posted by Orange813[/QUOTE]
  • Options

I'm also planning on having my wedding/reception on Oahu - thanks so much for all the tips!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards