Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Wedding Planner?

Hello Everyone! I was wondering if you all have wedding planners and if it worth hiring someone? If so....do you have any recommendations? I am thinking that our day may go a lot smoother and be less stress on me if we do hire one! But then again, I"m not sure if I want to spend the money, since we are on a budget! Please let me know your thoughts!! Thank you!
Soon-To-Be Mrs. Keegan!

Re: Wedding Planner?

• Options
    alainn15alainn15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Knot is my wedding planner. I did get some help from someone for my centerpieces but that was it. I am really doing everything on my own because it does cost so much to hire someone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What would you want the wedding planner to do? Would you want some one just to help you day of?

Honestly, if you have everything planned out ahead of time, the day pretty much runs itself. 

But, if you have it in the budget and it will give peace of mind- Go for it!
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs. I am not hiring a wedding coord. as I find it a waste of my money. I know how I want everything so I don't think it's necessary for me. However, a lot of people hire a DOC (day of coord) to make sure things run smoothly which is a possibility. My venue provides a DOC in the price which is nice, but if it didn't I wouldn't spend the money on one b/c as Duq said, if it's all planned out the day pretty much runs itself... GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Speaking from the other side of the issue, if you have it in the budget, a day-of-coordinator is a really good idea.  They are much less expensive than hiring someone to pull together the entire wedding and they are great for the day of the wedding.  We hired a DOC and she kept everything running very smoothly.  I didn't have to answer one question the day of the wedding, everything went through her instead.  She kept everything on schedule and kept anyone from bothering me.  Although I am a super organized person, I would never have been able to keep everything running the way she did (coordinating everyone at the church, then again at the cocktail hour and reception site) while enjoying myself.  I honestly have to admit it was one of the best "purchases" that I made for the wedding.
  • Options
    katie88fkatie88f member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For me, I had to get one.  The main reason was because of the day of the wedding- if you stress out like I do, this is something to really thing about.   I'm a control freak and I needed someone to take care of all the vendors the day of, and I wanted it to be someone I trusted and not have to burden my family with the task.  The last thing I wanted to do was worrying or have family worry about setting stuff up on the wedding day.  Even the rehersal dinner was something I didnt want to stress about.
    Reason # 2 is that I am living in Texas while planning the wedding in Pittsburhg.
    Reason # 3 is they can sometimes get you a deal, and if you are on a budget they help with DIY projects and have so many great ideas on how you can save money! 

Finally, Sumer Schmit is my wedding planner from simply perfect weddings.  She has a couple packages I choose the most inclusive one mainly because Im living in texas.  If I lived in Pittsburgh I would have choosen her day of package which just focuses on the wedding day.

Hope this helped!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Janiceb2010Janiceb2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Sumer also.  We are just getting started but she has been fabulous!  And her prices are very reasonable.  We interviewed one other planner and chose Sumer hands down. 

We decided to use a planner due to our schedules and not having family in town to help with things.  Plus, I am new to Pittsburgh...not very familiar with town yet.  (Katie - I moved here from San Antonio...I miss Taco Cabana...lol)

Pittsburgh September Siggy - Our honeymoon will be at the Royal Suites Turquesas in P*nta Cana. Super excited!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    katie88fkatie88f member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hahah I love Taco Cabana. You'll def be missing the mexican in Pittsburgh! That must be a huge weather change for you as well! 

Look at weddingwire.com they have some great reviews for wedding planners.  I had a similar experience with others though, they either took weeks to get back to me (not a good sign) or when I talked to them I didnt feel the right vibe.  Sumer got back to me within the hour of sending out the email.  And continues to email me back the second I email her.  Plus she'll work with whatever budget you have, which some wedding planners will not!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards