Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Suggestion for Role in Wedding?

I have 2 older brothers. Both of their wives are going to be in my wedding party but only one of my brothers is going to be a groomsmen. I let my fiancé choose who he wanted for his groomsmen and since he hangs out with my one brother a lot and doesn't talk too often with the other, he only picked one of them to be in it. So now we're at a loss as to what we should have my other brother do. He's the type of person who is going to feel hurt and jealous if his wife and brother get to be part of the wedding party and he doesn't get to do anything. He also chose me to be his witness when he got married, so it's important to me that he plays a role in my wedding. Any ideas as to something special he could do?

Thanks! 

Re: Suggestion for Role in Wedding?

• Options
    Other than having him do a reading, wedding "jobs" tend to just be consolation prizes.

Being a guest is an honor in and of itself.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    Have him as your own attendant in the bridal party.  

Or a reader, or a guest, if him being in the bridal party is absolutely out of the question.  

But, really, if 3 of 4 siblings/in-laws are included and he's the odd man out, I could absolutely understand why he'd be upset. To me that's a pretty big slap in the face, especially since it seems like you and he get along well. He shouldn't be excluded just because your FI isn't friends with him. He can stand on your side as a bridesman/attendant, or you could ask your FI if he'll please just include him as a groomsman.
  • Options
    My brother stood on my side.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Have him as one of your attendants. 

And absolutely, I have to say that if you have 3 or 4 siblings/siblings-in-law in the WP, it's a pretty crummy thing to leave one out.  That's quite a public slight.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    My brother is standing up for me on my side.  If you want him in your wedding party, have him on your side.  I agree with pps that if his wife, and your other brother and his wife are going to be in it, you shouldn't leave him out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It would really be inappropriate to leave him out of the WP as PPs have said.  I would either have him on your side as a Bridal attendant or ask FI to make him a GM and have the sides uneven - that is no biggie.  What is a biggie is his feelings being seriously hurt, plus your guests will ask why he was not included in the WP.

My WP is all of FI's brothers and his sister, two of his cousin's daughters, his daughter and my two sons.  The only reason I did not ask any of my family to be WP is they are on the other side of the US and I am not sure if any of them will be able to come to the ceremony, and I did not want to obligate anyone to make that trip if they cannot financially afford it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! When I discussed it with my FI he agreed that we should do whatever to include him in our WP. I don't really want the sides to be uneven, so I think I have a pretty good friend that I could ask to be another bridesmaid. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards