Wedding Invitations & Paper

Please help with proofing

My FI and I are having a casual/laid back ceremony and reception at the Lodge of Four Seasons.  (It's a destination wedding).  The invites we are having can be found here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/89798871/starfish-wedding-invitation-destination?category=weddings.paper-goods.invitations.wedding

Our ceremony and reception are both held at the Lodge of Four Seasons, but in two different locations at the resort.  I am wondering if I need to include the specific names of the locations of the ceremony and location.  The way I have worded my invitations, I have the specific names included.  Let me know if I should take them out. 

Please proof my wording and let me know of any changes I should make.  Thank you!

Bride
&
Groom

invite you to share in the joy
of their wedding day

June 29, 2013

at half past four in the afternoon
on the Wharf

The Lodge of Four Seasons
Adress
City, State

Back of Invite:

The celebration continues!

Cocktail Hour
Five o'clock in the evening
The Wharf (Ceremony Location)

Dinner and Dancing
Six o'clock in the evening
The Marbella Ballroom

Accommodations:

For your convenience, a block of rooms have been reserved at a reduced rate.  Please mention the Bride Last Name/Groom Last Name wedding when making reservations.  Rooms can be reserved at the discounted rate until May 28, 2013.

Address
City, State
Phone number

RSVP Card:

Please RSVP by May 25, 2013.

By Phone:
Bride: Phone number
Groom: Phone number

Online:
www.ourweddingwebsite.com

Email:
ourweddingemail@gmail.com

Back of RSVP Card:

For directions, accommodations, and additional information, please visit www.ourweddingwebsite.com

Re: Please help with proofing

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    Change the front to:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride
    and
    Groom
    On the twenty-ninth of June
    Address
    City, State
    on the Wharf
    at half past four in the afternoon
  • There's so much information. Maybe it's a style preference, but I put the address of the ceremony (same as the reception) and the date and time. Then I directed the recipient to our wedding website. The accomodations and contact info seems like it should be left to the wedding website, not the invite.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_please-help-with-proofing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6f19269e-7513-435d-b711-911e4709640dPost:68273865-c3c8-48e7-af27-be1122d5cb74">Please help with proofing</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I are having a casual/laid back ceremony and reception at the Lodge of Four Seasons.  (It's a destination wedding).  The invites we are having can be found here: <a href="http://www.etsy.com/listing/89798871/starfish-wedding-invitation-destination?category=weddings.paper-goods.invitations.wedding" rel="nofollow">http://www.etsy.com/listing/89798871/starfish-wedding-invitation-destination?category=weddings.paper-goods.invitations.wedding</a> Our ceremony and reception are both held at the Lodge of Four Seasons, but in two different locations at the resort.  I am wondering if I need to include the specific names of the locations of the ceremony and location.  The way I have worded my invitations, I have the specific names included.  Let me know if I should take them out.  Please proof my wording and let me know of any changes I should make.  Thank you! Bride & Groom invite you to share in the joy of their wedding day June 29, 2013 at half past four in the afternoon on the Wharf The Lodge of Four Seasons Adress City, State   Back of Invite: The celebration continues! Cocktail Hour Five o'clock in the evening The Wharf (Ceremony Location) Dinner and Dancing Six o'clock in the evening The Marbella Ballroom Accommodations: For your convenience, a block of rooms have been reserved at a reduced rate.  Please mention the Bride Last Name/Groom Last Name wedding when making reservations.  Rooms can be reserved at the discounted rate until May 28, 2013. The Lodge of Four Seasons Address City, State Phone number RSVP Card: Please RSVP by May 25, 2013. By Phone: Bride: Phone number Groom: Phone number Online: <a href="http://www.ourweddingwebsite.com" rel="nofollow">www.ourweddingwebsite.com</a> Email: ourweddingemail@gmail.com Back of RSVP Card: For directions, accommodations, and additional information, please visit <a href="http://www.ourweddingwebsite.com" rel="nofollow">www.ourweddingwebsite.com</a>
    Posted by steph4nu[/QUOTE]

Anniversary

• edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_please-help-with-proofing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6f19269e-7513-435d-b711-911e4709640dPost:8ef7c270-e833-4b8c-80fb-6dbe54c6606a">Re: Please help with proofing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your wording is not clear.  Are you inviting guests to witness your wedding ceremony, or just to celebrate at the reception?  The word "share" is confusing.  This is another example of why non-traditional wording often doesn't work. The pleasure of your company is requested at the marriage of Bride and Groom Saturday, the twenty-ninth of June half after four o'clock The Lodge of Four Seasons Address City, State Reception to follow You shouldn't specify the entertainment or refreshments at your reception. You don't need to specify a location on the property.  You should have signs to direct your guests to "The Smith-Jones Wedding".  Afterwards, you can announce the location of the reception, as long as guests don't need to move their cars. As for the casual nature of your wedding, this is indicated by the style of the invitations, not the wording.  White invitations with black raised type = formal.  Lots of colors and casual design = less formal. You don't need to write out accomodation information, since that is already covered on your wedding website, which is on your RSVP card.  You don't want to sound like an advertisement for the hotel. <strong>Just an off-topic question about your wedding.  You are arranging to have chairs for your guests during your ceremony, I hope?  There must be a seat for every guest!  People really hate weddings where they must stand.</strong>
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are chairs for everyone to sit down at the ceremony. 
  • Seriously, she asked about her invite and your wondering if she is having chairs. Wow
  • "Please RSVP" is a bit redundant -- you're basically saying please please reply. "Please reply" works better for a more formal event like a wedding. I'm sure you have your reasons, but my personal thoughts are you have too many ways to reply. I would suggest excluding your phone numbers and leaving it to either the web site or email. For those who may not have a computer, you should include a self-addressed stamped envelope so they may send it back.
    planning

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_please-help-with-proofing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6f19269e-7513-435d-b711-911e4709640dPost:a75f52d6-8785-48bc-8ac4-2eb16c9ea8f5">Re:Please help with proofing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Instead of 'invite you to share in the joy of their marriage,' you could say 'invite you to witness and celebrate their marriage,' which solves the problem of being unclear about the purpose of the event.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

Actually, it doesn't.  Miss Manners writes about a situation where someone was "invited to share in the joy of  the begining of their new life together as they exchange marriage vows."  That person understood the invitation to be only to the reception, not the ceremony.

That's one reason why I at least don't care for wording that is too "creative."  It's too focused on the romance and joy of the occasion at the expense of clarity.

Remember, the purpose of an invitation is to ask someone to attend an event, not flaunt how happy or in love you are-and that includes wedding invitations.  So it has to be very clear what you are asking the recipient for.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_please-help-with-proofing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6f19269e-7513-435d-b711-911e4709640dPost:c1f5bb8c-89d8-4af0-b583-771c430ad3eb">Re: Please help with proofing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please help with proofing : ....and this is a problem for you?
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Not a problem

She was asking about her wedding invitation and you are thinking does she have chairs.  Seriously 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_please-help-with-proofing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6f19269e-7513-435d-b711-911e4709640dPost:f5ee0735-6a86-4520-8790-07b6914526ab">Re:Please help with proofing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Please help with proofing : "Invite you to witness" IS different that "invite you to share in the joy."  And actually, when inviting a guest to your wedding ceremony, that IS what you're asking the recipient for - to serve as witness to your vows. You are more than welcome to chose whatever invitation wording you'd like when it comes your time to plan your wedding.  <strong>However, not everyone prefers traditional wording.</strong>
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

Those who don't take the risk that their guests won't understand exactly what they're being invited to.  Having to mention "witnessing" is redundant, as is "celebrate the joy of the beginning of their new life together" or "exchange marriage vows."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards