Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ring engraving question.

My thought is to engrave the recordings of us saying "I do" during the ceremony, and having it engraved afterwards. My only potential problem is that I would have to have my engagement ring engraved, because the band that I am getting is very thin, because it has to be curved to fit the engagement ring. Is that common to do? And do you think an engraving such as that would fit on a typical engagement ring? And does anyone know the cost of what it would cost to do something like that instead of doing typical writing? All answers appreciated!! Smile
~ June 18, 2013 ~

Re: Ring engraving question.

• Options
    Would it be on the inside of the band, or outside? 

Honestly, I think this is a silly 'trendy' thing to do and it looks like your band is scratched, making a gorgeous piece of jewelry look cheap. 
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
    I'm confused as to what you mean by recording your I Dos then having them engraved later? You you mean your trying to engrave your entire vows on a ring? Typically engravings are only 20 characters or so.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ring-engraving-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:c7e70a7d-99e9-4a36-bb16-c88013e3fbd5Post:80ccedf2-f8ee-4a6e-b86f-172b27315d54">Re: Ring engraving question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm confused as to what you mean by recording your I Dos then having them engraved later? You you mean your trying to engrave your entire vows on a ring? Typically engravings are only 20 characters or so.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

I think she means the sound wave being engraved.
  • Options
    Yes, sorry for being confusing. I did mean the sounds wave of just of each of saying "I do"
    but I want them engraved into the ring. On the inside, like normal,  just soundwaves instead of words.
    ~ June 18, 2013 ~
  • Options
    I honestly don't love the idea unless a sound wave is something that is meaningful to you. I think it's very trendy unless it's meaningful. Like, my husband is an audio engineer and he thinks it's cool, but would rather have a picture of the wave rather than it be on either of our rings. I also don't think it would fit on most rings. The ones on the link you provided were very thick.
  • Options
    Now that I see it I'd have to agree with PP. To most people it's going to look like a bunch of scratches on a beautiful ring. I would skip it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Cool idea but one thing to consider is that if you ever need to get the rings resized due to weight loss/gain, you may end up messing up the engraving depending on where on the band the engraving is done.
  • Options
    If you're just getting it engraved on the inside of the ring, I don't see the problem. No one else has ever seen the engraving on the inside of my ring. But I also agree that if it's not meaningful to you, then it's just kind of trendy.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ring-engraving-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:c7e70a7d-99e9-4a36-bb16-c88013e3fbd5Post:a40c91b2-d93f-4b6e-975d-6116e5edf0dd">Re:Ring engraving question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unless it is something special to you guys, I wouldn't do it. When you have to explain what it is in 20 years, is it still going to sound cool and sweet or just odd and kitschy?
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I personally think this sound wave thing is a weird idea for a lot of reasons, but if OP likes it, she should go for it!  I don't see why in 20 years you'd ever "have to" explain anything involving an engraving on the inside of your wedding band.  When would anyone see it? And even if they did, I don't think that's a reason to not do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards