Canada-Alberta

Calgary Brides - where are you getting married?

Hey everyone! My fiance and I are getting married at the wedding pavillion. Anyone been to a wedding there? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Re: Calgary Brides - where are you getting married?

• arixanaarixana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a Christmas Party there and thought it was really pretty. Kind of hard to find, though, and since the party was in the winter, the steep roads to the place were scary and made me curse. Hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    My cousin got married there. it was really nice. the only thing I thought taht was weird is that the area for dancing was seperated from the tables. So not a lot of people got up to dance beacause it was out of site from the rest of the party. other then taht everything was nice. it was in May and the weather was great so they set up tents out side and it was great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    God, I have no idea where we are getting married yet. It seems like every reception venue we look at is either the typical old wedding place, or WAY too expensive. I've heard the Pavillion is good though!!
  • edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding there a few years back.  I didn't particularly care for it as the venue for reception is very small, so you couldn't have a large wedding but the ceremony area is huge so there were a tonne of empty seats.  I just felt that it lacked that intimate feel due to the disproportions of the building.  As well I agree with an earlier poster that indeed the dance floor was completely separate (in the foyer:() from the reception so there were very little people dancing.  After it was all said an done the Bride said that if anyone asked her about the Wedding Pavilion she would not recommend it due to the large cost for food, alcohol and the lack of intimacy.  She did however say that she did love the Bride Room and the grand staircase putting her at the center of attention.
  • edited December 2011
    Never been there. We thought about it, but the venue was going to be too small for us.
    We're getting married at St. Patricks Parish in the Shawnessy area of Calgary. Then the reception is at Westgate community hall (near Westhills area in Calgary).

I've heard the Pavillion is beautiful. It's an all in one, so convenient.
  • edited December 2011
    So far I would agree with the above posts. FSIL got married in 2008 at the pavillion she and her husband would never recommend having a wedding there! Food was great but they had a list of things they were not happy with.  I have one thing on the top of my head to complain about. Closing time was at 1:00 everyone had to be out of the building and when I mean out no one standing inside to wait for a cab, They never made a last call they just started taking your half full glasses of whatever you were drinking away. DRINKS THAT WERE PAID FOR. even water.  They also never got there damage deposit back because people were waiting inside after the wedding. The weather was in the negatives.
  • edited December 2011

uh oh - thanks for the points MAWL - you said there was someone you knew that got married there that had a list? Would you mind letting me know what some of the other points are? I am getting married there in August and if i am aware of some problems others have had, then maybe i can try to work around it?

Thanks!

• edited December 2011
    Hey everyone.. yeah i'm pretty excited about getting married at the pavillion but i have done lots of planning prior. I have a guest shuttle coming to pick up our guests at 12:45 to ensure it isn't "awkward" at the end of the night, and Ive booked off rooms at the near by sheraton. We have also hired our own photographer so I can get complete day coverage of the wedding, from getting ready in the morning to the end of the night. She's also going to do a "day after" session for us so that we can a variety of photos since there is only 1 hour between the ceremony and reception! :)
  • lori6666lori6666 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are small town people - so we are gettin married at Chain Lakes....west of Nanton. The supper and dance will be held at the Nanton Community Hall.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards