Just Engaged and Proposals

Engagment ring opinion

My sister is divorced by recently got engaged again.  The guy is also divorced and a really nice guy.  However, he got her a gemstone engagement ring.  It's nice, but I feel like he cheaped out.  What do you think?  I think a diamond would have looked a lot classier...

Re: Engagment ring opinion

• What did she want? If she had a diamond ring the first time maybe se didn't want another? Or perhaps they wanted to spend their money on other things like vacation or a house? Just a thought. If she's not worried about I wouldn't either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, maybe she wanted that particular type of ring.  As long as she's happy.  Did she get a diamond for the first engagment/marriage?  A diamond ring does not a happy marriage make...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First of all it doesn't matter what you think since it's not your ring. Frankly you even posting that question is wrong. 

I don't have a diamond ring - it's a sapphire with diamonds which since the royal wedding has come into fashion. I personally didn't want a diamond engagement ring since it's my birth stone & I wanted something really special from my FI & it also makes me happy since my fav colour is blue.
  • Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • I can see where you are coming from.  It seems so normal to have a diamond.  For most people, only a diamond ring can mean an engagement, and that is perfectly fine.

It is becoming more popular to have something besides a diamond, both because it is cheaper and not everyone likes or wants a diamond. 

You should ask your sis how she feels about her ring before asking other people though.  She could have expressed that she wanted a colored gemstone, and recieved exactly what she wanted. 
  • It's not your ring, so i doesn't matter what you think. Lots of people have gemstone engagement rings - like me. I have a white sapphire (often confused for a diamond but whatever). A lot of people have strong opinions about not having a diamond for the ridiculous markup. human rights/ethics issue, or whatever other reasons. 

Unless your sister comes to you and says 'I hate his f-ing ring and he cheaped out" it's none of your business and its time for you to shut your mouth.

Oh yes, and gemstones can be just as expensive as diamonds depending on cut/carat, etc, etc. So you saying he cheaped is probably extremely untrue. 
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engagment-ring-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:289898ab-b238-4f37-bebb-cdec11166618Post:a23b9ab3-fb89-4b4c-8205-5efbef465667">Re: Engagment ring opinion</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not your ring, so i doesn't matter what you think. Lots of people have gemstone engagement rings - like me. I have a white sapphire (often confused for a diamond but whatever). A lot of people have strong opinions about not having a diamond for the ridiculous markup. human rights/ethics issue, or whatever other reasons.  Unless your sister comes to you and says 'I hate his f-ing ring and he cheaped out" it's none of your business and its time for you to shut your mouth.<strong> Oh yes, and gemstones can be just as expensive as diamonds depending on cut/carat, etc, etc. So you saying he cheaped is probably extremely untrue. </strong>
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS! Gemstone rings can be VERY expensive. Just hop over to pricescope.com and the colored stones forum... people there are buying rings with budgets of $20k and up.</div>
  • Go away troll

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have an amethyst and it was the same price as many diamonds we looked. I was once engaged, but never married him (THANK THE LORD!) and every diamond I looked at reminded me of a FAILED relationship.... Maybe your sister is the same! MYOB!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's not your relationship or your ring, so why is this such a big deal to you that you would go on a wedding website and post this question?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is all personal preference.  I've seen many brides who have gemstone rings. 

Look at Kate Middleton, hers is a gemstone with diamonds (the late Princess Diana's ring). 

Seriously its not that big of a deal in my opinion. 

People get gemstone rings all the time and people have babies before they are engaged or married! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Like several other posters, I don't see why this is any of yoru concern.

Lame post.
  • edited April 2011
    Oh good, she's gotten bored with the nest and has migrated over to the knot. Fantastic.
    My Bio: Updated 5/18/11

June 2011
    My Morgan!

Photobucket

Miss Dayna

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• lol MUD

• Do you really have nothing better to do with your time than troll 2 websites? 

Must be nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards