Favors

Money Dance?

What are your thoughts on the money dance? We are in the deep south, and one of my local aunts said people love it and we can make some serious cash, but my out of town mother thinks it is tacky. We are professionals and are inviting many importatnt locals. The wedding is a semi-formal evening affair. Thanks for the advice

Re: Money Dance?

• edited December 2011
    I think they are tacky. 

They only way I would consider doing one is if every single other wedding I had ever been to had one and it was a big tradition in the families. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its tacky :/ But if it's common in your circle, then go for it.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A wedding is not a place to "make some serious cash"... unless you're a vendor.  Your guests should not have to pay you for a dance.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I did not grow up in an area that had them. However, where I live now, where FI grew up everyone has them and it is very odd to attend a wedding that does not have a dollar dance. Although I think it is a little ackward for me, everyone sort of expects them here, so we are having one.

Do what is common in your area. If you don't feel comfortable having one, then don't. If it is common there and you want to have one, then do it.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_money-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:2b6317dc-3ca5-40a4-8a92-ac4961a13356Post:ae291de4-a891-4fd9-9724-d07097c7997d">Money Dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are your thoughts on the money dance? We are in the deep south, and one of my local aunts said people love it and we can make some serious cash, but my out of town mother thinks it is tacky. <strong>We are professionals and are inviting many importatnt locals. The wedding is a semi-formal evening affair</strong>. Thanks for the advice
    Posted by Oberville[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not.
  • edited December 2011
    It is very common in  my family and I have always hated it! We will not be doing one despite the pressure from both sides of our family to do it!
  • nacooper25nacooper25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Dollar Dance as it's called in Africa is a traditional occurence. If it's traditional for your circles then it will not be frowned upon. If you are trying to introduce it, then your guests might think it's tacky. 

• edited December 2011
    It used to be popular in my area back in the 80's and 90's. I haven't seen the money dance since.

As far as being uncomfortable or awkward, I've always felt the bouquet toss and garter as being awkward. Being single for many years, that was always the time I went to the ladies.

I say do what you want.

191 Invited image 164 Are ready to party!! image 27 Are missing out image 0 Are making me wait imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • blue1981blue1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I find it tacky as well
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • benzgist13benzgist13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    please don't do a money dance, they aren't very polite, you don't want the first impression of your life together as "please give us more money, because you clearly didn't give us enonugh already."
  • edited December 2011
    I have never heard of this until I went to a wedding in Vermont (where my fiance is from, and where we are movin to and having the wedding at). I thought it was so tacky and bizarre.   I'm hoping for it not to happen at my wedding.  It's right up there with "Suck for a buck" on bachelorette parties. Blech.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards