Wedding Etiquette Forum

Std

Do you have to send out save the dates?

Re: Std

• nope.  

We did because it was OOT for everyone and it was at a small resort town with not a lot of hotel options.   But if it was mostly a local wedding we would not have done them.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If you want to be stuck with everyone
    Live life like its your last day!
  • achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2012
    No, we didn't and we clearly weren't "stuck with everyone." Don't listen to Shlby. 

STDs aren't common in my area. In fact, I've been almost 20 weddings and have never received one.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_std-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:bd9c7522-f15a-4437-a99e-97b000ff5a34Post:7e7b2157-e13a-4f26-ab8c-d94315852557">Re: Std</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, we didn't and we clearly weren't "stuck with everyone." Don't listen to Shlby.  STDs aren't common in my area. In fact, I've been almost 20 weddings and have never received one.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

Someone on another blog said that if you send a std then you have to invite them even if you don't talk to them anymore there fore you are stuck with them. That's y I will not be sedngin out stds.
  • To elaborate on Shlby's cryptic response--if you send someone an STD, barring serious unforseen circumstances, that person must receive an invitation.  So if, god forbid, you lose your job or something else happens to shrink your budget, or you fall apart from someone, you're kind of stuck.

So if you don't want to send them, that's ok.  If you do, consider sending them only to VIPs that are out of town.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Sorry so CRIPTIC but some of the girls are bully's and mean. I thought this was a fun place for advise but some girls have been so mean to me for no reason.
  • Cryptic is correct.  And advice is spelled with a C.  And in the context you used, bullies is the plural, the apostrophe makes it possessive, but there's nothing to possess.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_std-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bd9c7522-f15a-4437-a99e-97b000ff5a34Post:37f6c007-b553-49e4-9c67-30f8ff7d73dd">Re: Std</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry so CRIPTIC but some of the girls are bully's and mean. I thought this was a fun place for advise but some girls have been so mean to me for no reason.
    Posted by Shlby81[/QUOTE]

I wasn't mean to you.  The only person who was even remotely close to mean was Achi, but I think that's because she misunderstood what you were saying.  You didn't give much information in your post, so it wasn't very clear.  That's why Achi misinterpreted what you meant.  So I gave more information, because your post was indeed cryptic. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I'm sorry. This is supposed to be the happiest dat of my life so I guess I'm just emotional. That and my hormones being out of wak.
  • We didn't send STDs because we just didn't think they were necessary. We also didn't want to spend the extra money.

• In Response to Re:Std:[QUOTE]I'm sorry. This is supposed to be the happiest dat of my life so I guess I'm just emotional. That and my hormones being out of wak. Posted by Shlby81[/QUOTE]

"Shlby81" is a troll. See her post on ChitChat for more. OP: STDs aren't required. We did opt to send them to all of our OOT people, especially because DH has a lot of military cousins that had to work their schedules to be able to make it.
  • Same here, a huge boat load of OOT guests are being invited so we are sending them to give folks a chance to plan ahead.  Plus a lot of them have school age children and our wedding is in September so we want them to be able to make plans for that as well.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_std-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:bd9c7522-f15a-4437-a99e-97b000ff5a34Post:a0969e43-2b06-430f-8c00-9a90a2a26928">Re:Std</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Std:

"Shlby81" is a troll. See her post on ChitChat for more. OP: STDs aren't required. We did opt to send them to all of our OOT people, especially because DH has a lot of military cousins that had to work their schedules to be able to make it.
    Posted by KellyBrian2013[/QUOTE]

I am not a trol I'm hot. U r the trol
  • We sent them out but had our guest list set and knew that we would have to extend and invitation to everyone getting an STD. We sent them out because many people were OOT and it was also in the summer, when we knew our friends and families had annual vacations planned.

I think if you have guests who will need to fly/travel far and get hotel rooms, it's nice to send STDs to at least those guests so they can plan. But they're definitely not required.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • We just called/emailed the OOT guests to let them know.  I mean, they were people we talked to on a regular basis anyway, so it was no big deal to call and say "guess what?!  We're getting married!  This is the date, of course you can stay with my mom and dad, can't wait to see you."

Obviously if you have a lot of OOTers, you might want to send STDs, or if your wedding falls on/near a holiday then it might be a good idea, but as Shlby pointed out anyone who receives an STD must receive an invitation, which can cause problems if your budget changes or you need to cut your guest list for some other reason.
  • Use them if you have a large number of OOT guests. I've recieved them and they have the lodging information and wedding website (lodging, activities, local airports, etc.).

If most people are local, then save the money!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards