Chit Chat
Options

Sandy crashed my wedding

I live in Columbus and while the forecast for Saturday is 51 and sunny, it's really hard to believe when there is snow on the ground. Not to mention I have a bridesmaid traveling for work along the east coast and my MOH who lives in Connecticut. We also had planned to take our honeymoon in Washington, DC but who knows how possible that will be. I'm trying really hard not to panic because I know there is nothing I can do about it, but it's hard not to worry about those important people being able to make it. When we scheduled for November 3 a year and a half ago, we knew there was a chance it would not be warm, but we never thought there would be a hurricane!

Re: Sandy crashed my wedding

• Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:e440216a-c271-46e6-98e1-e9317eb9b09e">Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in Columbus and while the forecast for Saturday is 51 and sunny, it's really hard to believe when there is snow on the ground. Not to mention I have a bridesmaid traveling for work along the east coast and my MOH who lives in Connecticut. We also had planned to take our honeymoon in Washington, DC but who knows how possible that will be. I'm trying really hard not to panic because I know there is nothing I can do about it, but it's hard not to worry about those important people being able to make it. When we scheduled for November 3 a year and a half ago, we knew there was a chance it would not be warm, but we never thought there would be a hurricane!
    Posted by MariaW25[/QUOTE]

I am sorry for your loss. It must be really difficult having your party ruined by a natural disaster that's taken lives and devastated large swaths of one of the most heavily populated regions of the United States.

• Options
    There was no reason for that post. If you don't have anything nice to say...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:319e68a1-74fd-4be8-beb3-76e1cfbd4dd8">Re: Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was no reason for that post. If you don't have anything nice to say...

Actually  I think there was- come back down to earth. Are you sure your bridesmaid that is traveling is OK? have you checked? It sucks- however you should think about the big picture not just your wedding.
  • Options
    rsannarsanna member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:319e68a1-74fd-4be8-beb3-76e1cfbd4dd8">Re: Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was no reason for that post. If you don't have anything nice to say...

Unless she is trying to put things into perspective to you. You know, that your wedding is ultimately a party and there are bigger things to worry about than a party.

ETA: And what Brittany said.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:8f3f9350-a849-437d-a9a1-fc07361386c0">Re: Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Sandy crashed my wedding : I am sorry for your loss. It must be really difficult having your party ruined by a natural disaster that's taken lives and devastated large swaths of one of the most heavily populated regions of the United States.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

Thank you.  Exactly what I was thinking.  OP, why don't you come here and whine to the two kids in NJ who lost BOTH of their parents to this storm last night.

My BFFs couldn't come to my wedding because cancer, a lupus flare up, emergency back surgery and a drunk driving injury got in the way.  I lived.  Get the hell over yourself.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Dude, your wedding is still a week away. Chill out. If your wedding was yesterday I'd say it may have been ruined, but honestly, chill out. The snow in OHIO will be gone by the weekend. My whole family lives in Jersey and I'm worried about them. I wouldn't care about your party that's still a week away knowing I had family who were right in the path of the storm if I was planning on going. Calm down and maybe show a little respect for the 67 people who died, the millions without power, the 100's of homes being detroyed by fires, people homes and businesses flooded and ruined.
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Why wouldn't you be able to take your honeymoon in DC? I live in DC--it's not like the city is under water.  You can easily look this stuff up--I understand you're concerned, but saying you will have to cancel your honeymoon sounds overly dramatic.  Relax, and worry about the things that matter.  No matter what, you're getting married, which is the most important part.

• Options
    You read this differently that I did Stage because I took her one sentence about her MOH and BM as worry that they wouldnt' be able to get back to Columbus for the wedding.  No where does she say she is worried about them being safe.  Everything is in the context of what it is going to do to her wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:92350f86-552b-4d84-b825-780045f1d42a">Re: Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]You read this differently that I did Stage because I took her one sentence about her MOH and BM as worry that they wouldnt' be able to get back to Columbus for the wedding.  No where does she say she is worried about them being safe.  Everything is in the context of what it is going to do to her wedding.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I read it as well.
  • Options
    I think OP had every right to talk about how she was worried about her wedding--I dont think it means she doesn't care about more serious problems like other posters mentioned, but I think its valid to be concerned about her nearest and dearest making it to her wedding, since, well, theyre her nearest and dearest.  Ditto Stage, this was kind of harsh, and I hardly ever feel that way.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:5d5d5020-88be-4528-97ee-3f338a79906d">Re: Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why wouldn't you be able to take your honeymoon in DC? I live in DC--it's not like the city is under water.  You can easily look this stuff up--I understand you're concerned, but saying you will have to cancel your honeymoon sounds overly dramatic.  Relax, and worry about the things that matter.  No matter what, you're getting married, which is the most important part.
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly this. I live just outside DC, some are without power, but I'm already planning on going in to work tomorrow. Hell, some people still had work yesterday. Not like the city washed away.</div>
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Maria, right now the situation in CT is not good. There are wide spread power outages. I am very relieved that my town was spared this time around. The shoreline is flooded, there were fires last night that first responders couldn't get near because of the flood waters. They had no choice but to let those homes burn. Some people were cavalier about the evacuation orders and ened up stranded in their flooded homes.  I pray your MOH and her family are safe.

I hope you have a beautiful wedding.

• Options
    I didn't read the OP as "oh, poor me, my party is RUINED".  I read it as, I'm sad that my VIPs might not be able to make it". 

I cannot imagine anyone that is planning a wedding, would not think the same thing at least for a few minutes. That doesn't necessarily take away from being concerned for the safety of all people and empathy for all who are losing life or property.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:e440216a-c271-46e6-98e1-e9317eb9b09e">Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in Columbus and while the forecast for Saturday is 51 and sunny, it's really hard to believe when there is snow on the ground. Not to mention I have a bridesmaid traveling for work along the east coast and my MOH who lives in Connecticut. We also had planned to take our honeymoon in Washington, DC but who knows how possible that will be. I'm trying really hard not to panic because I know there is nothing I can do about it, but it's hard not to worry about those important people being able to make it. When we scheduled for November 3 a year and a half ago, we knew there was a chance it would not be warm, but we never thought there would be a hurricane!

I live in C-bus too.. I don't see any snow anymore. It melted.
    No one plans on a hurricane, but it hasn't crashed your wedding. If those people are really VIP's, they will try to make it come hell or high water.
    Take a deep breath and don't get worked up over something that you can't control. Just alter your plans to fit with the circumstances. If at the end of the day, you both said "I do" it's doesn't matter.
    And it's Ohio. You honestly can't tell me you didn't expect it to snow or storm in November in Ohio. Unless you haven't lived here for the last 3-4 years. Ohio weather is completely unpredictable.

Just take a deep breath and relax. There is no sense in getting worked up about nothing. Think of all the NY brides who literally had their weddings crashed by this hurricane. Think of all the hard work and money those brides along the East Coast put into their weddings and now have to way delay them.
    Not, that you didn't put time and money into your wedding, but you will still get to have your wedding, just with a few altered plans.

It's gonna be okay!

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If you can find a way to get here, come to DC! We walked our dog last night and ran into 5 people on strolls (one was an old lady also walking her dog), the mail man, and a pizza delivery guy. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2012
    I think what may have prompted the initial reactions was that the title of the topic was poorly worded. I read it as her wedding was planned for later this week, and the hurricane flooded her reception venue. I came in here expecting to read a horror story about no reception venue, power out at the caterer, the bakery flooded (destroying her cake), and so on, and, instead, it's about the possibility her MOH might not make it and when they go to DC, there might be a few rain puddles.

So, while I sympathize with her worries, it really was a bit dramatic. OP needs to take it down a notch. Her wedding hasn't been "crashed" yet; nobody has canceled yet, and Columbus is cold but has power. Additionally, DC will be just fine. People are back at work already, and the transit system is running. Even the NYSE will be up and running tomorrow, according to the latest post on CNN. Flights will most likely be back in the air tonight or tomorrow, and Amtrak is already inspecting its tracks to ensure the NEC can start up service again (if it hasn't already). If all else fails, there's still the Dirty Dog (Greyhound).
  • Options
    I think anyone who planned a wedding for this week would be having the same thoughts OP is. I see nothing wrong with being sad that some of her VIP guests may not be able to make it. I was sad when a few of my good friends were unable to make my wedding for reasons completely unrelated to a hurricane.

Yes, people have died because of this hurricane, millions are without power, have lost cars, businesses, etc. not to mention lives. It's horrific. But OP didn't come here saying, "OMG my perfect princess day was ruined by this stupid hurricane. The nerve of that thing!" No, and if she had, I would have been jumping down her throat as well. I see nothing wrong with just talking about the fact she has concerns about some of her nearest and dearest not making her wedding. That does not detract from or belittle the people who have lost their lives and most of their possessions. She's not pretending her wedding is THE most important thing affected by the hurricane. She's just making a comment about a sucky situation.

While some of us may not post it on TK, I have a hard time believing we wouldn't be thinking the exact same thing had our weddings been planned for this week.

Vacation
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:dde56ebd-4a43-476e-9e4c-ec15cfda541b">Re: Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think anyone who planned a wedding for this week would be having the same thoughts OP is. I see nothing wrong with being sad that some of her VIP guests may not be able to make it. I was sad when a few of my good friends were unable to make my wedding for reasons completely unrelated to a hurricane. Yes, people have died because of this hurricane, millions are without power, have lost cars, businesses, etc. not to mention lives. It's horrific. But OP didn't come here saying, "OMG my perfect princess day was ruined by this stupid hurricane. The nerve of that thing!" No, and if she had, I would have been jumping down her throat as well. I see nothing wrong with just talking about the fact she has concerns about some of her nearest and dearest not making her wedding. That does not detract from or belittle the people who have lost their lives and most of their possessions. She's not pretending her wedding is THE most important thing affected by the hurricane. She's just making a comment about a sucky situation. <strong>While some of us may not post it on TK, I have a hard time believing we wouldn't be thinking the exact same thing had our weddings been planned for this week.
    </strong>Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Thinking it and posting it are two entirely different things.  I was upset that my four best friends couldn't come to my wedding but I sure as hell did not post it because I knew what I would be rightly told.

I opened this post thinking it was an eastcoaster whose venue got washed away or crushed by a tree.  That would have been Sandy crashing a wedding.  Someone having less than perfect weather and a MOH and BM unable to get to the wedding (and in the context of her entire OP, that is exactly how I read this - she had <u><em>one</em></u> sentence about this and not once did she way she was worried about their safety)  is not going to get my sympathy or cut any slack on this subject.  Not this week.

ETA: From the OP:
    <em>I'm trying really hard not to panic because I know there is nothing I can do about it, but it's hard not to worry about those important people being able to make it.</em>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:9d1c3e77-8e39-42bb-8a2e-4795af7e1232">Re: Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't read the OP as "oh, poor me, my party is RUINED".  I read it as, I'm sad that my VIPs might not be able to make it".  I cannot imagine anyone that is planning a wedding, would not think the same thing at least for a few minutes. That doesn't necessarily take away from being concerned for the safety of all people and empathy for all who are losing life or property.  
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

i agree..i live in staten island and have seen destruction first hand...but everyone relax whats with all the attacking...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Same as above.. people can be super cruel on here. 100% honest I would be concerned to if my wedding was this weekend.. (but then again I'm sure I will be stressing over a thousand things come the week of my wedding no matter what the weather)
    So best advice.. deep breath... relax!!  :) No matter who makes it.. you are getting married to the love of your life this week!!! EXCITING even if only you and the groom show up.. haha :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:4b930b2c-d402-48fc-a630-8ae8a055b955">Re: Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sandy crashed my wedding : Thinking it and posting it are two entirely different things.<strong>  I was upset that my four best friends couldn't come to my wedding but I sure as hell did not post it because I knew what I would be rightly told.</strong> I opened this post thinking it was an eastcoaster whose venue got washed away or crushed by a tree.  That would have been Sandy crashing a wedding. <strong> Someone having less than perfect weather and a MOH and BM unable to get to the wedding (and in the context of her entire OP, that is exactly how I read this - she had one sentence about this and not once did she way she was worried about their safety)  is not going to get my sympathy or cut any slack on this subject.  Not this week. </strong>ETA: From the OP: I'm trying really hard not to panic because I know there is nothing I can do about it, but it's hard not to worry about those important people being able to make it.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

I don't see an issue with being upset that your four best friends couldn't come. But then again, I don't get behind the thinking of "Well someone always has it worse than you." Yeah, there are people out there starving, people out there who are homeless, people without jobs, people who have illnesses. I get all that. But that doesn't mean I still have to be happy 100% of the time and can never express being upset over something in my life.

I didn't say her post title was great; it wasn't. I was more commenting on the content of the post.

I'm not saying she deserves your sympathy (or anyone's) now or at any other time. But the way some people were acting it was as if she came in pitching a hissy fit acting like her wedding having bad weather was the end of the world and she did not. In fact in the part you quoted above she acknowledges she just needs to calm down and there isn't anything she can do about it. That seems pretty rational to me and I don't think she deserved to have people act like she was a monster.

I also am not sure what point you are trying to prove in what you quoted. I never said in my post that she was worried about their safety. Where did I say that? I said that I, too, would be sad if my best friends couldn't make my wedding for whatever reason.

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:dde56ebd-4a43-476e-9e4c-ec15cfda541b">Re: Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think anyone who planned a wedding for this week would be having the same thoughts OP is. I see nothing wrong with being sad that some of her VIP guests may not be able to make it. I was sad when a few of my good friends were unable to make my wedding for reasons completely unrelated to a hurricane. Yes, people have died because of this hurricane, millions are without power, have lost cars, businesses, etc. not to mention lives. It's horrific. But OP didn't come here saying, "OMG my perfect princess day was ruined by this stupid hurricane. The nerve of that thing!" No, and if she had, I would have been jumping down her throat as well. I see nothing wrong with just talking about the fact she has concerns about some of her nearest and dearest not making her wedding. That does not detract from or belittle the people who have lost their lives and most of their possessions. She's not pretending her wedding is THE most important thing affected by the hurricane. She's just making a comment about a sucky situation. While some of us may not post it on TK, I have a hard time believing we wouldn't be thinking the exact same thing had our weddings been planned for this week.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is exactly how I see OP's post.  I think everyone is being pretty harsh.  I ditto Summer 2011's second post also.  Saved me a lot of typing.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sandy-crashed-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:ac5a6c1a-60d2-43ac-bc53-84c49f83463bPost:e440216a-c271-46e6-98e1-e9317eb9b09e">Sandy crashed my wedding</a>:

Irene crashed my wedding last year. But then we ended up having our wedding the next day (Monday) so while some people missed it -either because of power, or work, or roads- I had some friends and family from as far as DC, Boston, and New Hampshire brave the flooded roads and detours to make it to New Jersey. It wasn't the wedding I planned-last minute change of venue,less people, no photographer,etc- but it was the best wedding ever!

Monday night while Sandy was bearing down in NYC, an old highschool friend in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, braved the storm and had her wedding as planned. One of my college friends is getting married today-as planned- though her venue has changed from Queens to Washington Heights. They are both in NYC and still had (are having) their weddings. Yea, some people won't be able to make it, but all the way in Ohio you should be fine.
  • Options
    wwwwwoooooow i thought she was just venting. it's ok to vent...doesn't mean she doesn't care about the destruction caused by sandy. that being said, that sucks, OP, I hope your wedding insurance will help out and I hope everything works out for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Regardless of the actual post, the title "Sandy crashed my wedding" implies the bad has already happened and is an attention-seeking statement. Nothing bad has happened to her wedding, so why the dramatic, fact-implying past tense? I don't cotton to histrionics. I agree it's okay to be worried, but just say something like "Worried about Sandy".
  • Options
    Damn, I guess you can't vent about how you feel on this board anymore.

I see both sides but I think some posters are being really harsh.  Op, take a breath and just take it one day at a time.  Yes, it's not the end of the world if your wedding is less than perfect or less than what you hoped or expected given the circumstances and the bigger picture of the devasatation of Sandy but it is OK to vent.  
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards