Honeymoon Discussions

Cuba!

Hello Knotties! 
Hope you guys are having an awesome long weekend Friday! 
The mister and I decided on Cuba for our honeymoon. Have any of you been? Any recomendations? When to go, where to stay? Love to hear from you guys!
We for sure want to spend time in Havana!
Thanks! 
Anniversary

Re: Cuba!

• Asislee2....where do you live? For most Americans we aren't able to travel to Cuba because of the embargo?? You can go with special visas but that's about it. I live in the UK now and I know that many people take holidays there so if that is the case you are probably better off asking people where you live where they have went.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am a Canadian... I have asked but no one has been there! :(
    Anniversary
  • Hello,

I have actually been there many times. My family is Cuban so we visit frequently however we are in the U.S. and although there are direct flights from New York, and Miami we opt to leave from Toroto because the flight fare is much cheaper.

My family is from Havana so I am familiar with the city. Unfortunately I stay with family so I don't know much about the hotels. There are alot of artisan markets and the city is full of history so it won't be hard finding something to do. If you or your fiance are interested in buying tobacco beware of people who sell sealed boxes on the street. Sometimes they fill it with something heavy like sand and you end up with an empty box. Always ask them to open the box. If they can't, walk away.

Varadero is about a 2 hour drive away from Havana (mostly because the roads are awful and the cars are old) but it might be worth checking out since it is probably one of the most popular beach area in Cuba. There are alot of resorts there. I have stayed in a hotel there once (for a few days). I beleive it was the Sol Melia and it was great. I haven't been there since 06' though. If you rent a car it's kind of easy to get around because you can get to most places on the same few roads.

When you are in Havana visit "El Morro" a very famous pier next to "El Callejon". Also visit "El Vedado"... it's a part of Cuba where rich people lived before the revolution and many of the houses were former mansions that are still beautiful but need some work. Some are embassies now and some are still owned by families. The University of Havana is nice too. 

I can't think of anything else but if you have any questions feel free to ask! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance and I have long talked about having our Honeymoon in Cuba. I'm dying to go and see all the history, culture, and tropical lifestyle. Can't wait to go and meet his family and see things, try things, learn new things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards