Indiana

South Bend Area Ceremony Site???

I'm looking for a church in the South Bend area... I'd love to get married in my own church but it'll be under construction. I've called and emailed several but no one is getting back to me. We need somewhere we can have our our minister though. I wouldn't mind an outdoor wedding but we're getting married Oct 15th so weather will be unpredictable. If anyone knows of any churches in the area that will let you have your own minister that would be so very helpful thanks :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: South Bend Area Ceremony Site???

• twixinthemixtwixinthemix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll keep my ears open for you!  I can ask my church if you'd like.  It's very pretty and has a large sanctuary.  We are getting married there, but using our own pastor.  I think they might only allow their pastors or pastors from that denomination perform the ceremony, but I'd have to check on that.  Is there any part of south bend you have in mind, and what denomination are you?

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    The Little Flower is beautiful, but it's catholic, so thats out I think?  Yeah, I don't go to church so I got nothing.  Sorry. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • acwmacwm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hippinhipster, what denomination are you? I'll see what I can think of....

Could your minister do the ceremony somewhere other than a church? If your reception venue could also host the ceremony, maybe you can just put everything in one spot.
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ACWM has a good idea there.  In Niles Michigan there's a place called Moris Estate that has a beatiful little chapel and and place for a reception.  You could bring your own pastor I'm pretty sure.  I don't know how big your guest is though!

Good luck!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    hide
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • HippinhipsterHippinhipster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're non-denominational which is a denomination when you think about it haha Or Church of Christ I guess. Anywhere around South Bend would be fine... our reception hall is actually in Elkhart so somewhere around there would work too. The hall is really only one big room so we wouldn't be able to have the ceremony there though that would have made everything much easier. We're expecting 200-250 people so it can't be anything too tiny. It doesn't have to be a church I mean I always kinda pictured myself being married in a church but I'm open to other ideas... thanks for helping ladies :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana_south-bend-area-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:97Discussion:d4d651ae-4126-4133-ba63-de2497f0ae0bPost:e24da393-79d5-42cb-884d-89eb59d31f0b">Re: South Bend Area Ceremony Site???</a>:
    [QUOTE]ACWM has a good idea there.  In Niles Michigan there's a place called Moris Estate that has a beatiful little chapel and and place for a reception.  You could bring your own pastor I'm pretty sure.  I don't know how big your guest is though! <a href="http://morris-farms.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://morris-farms.com/</a> Good luck!
    Posted by twixinthemix[/QUOTE]

That place is gorgeous! if only it was bigger :/
  • edited December 2011

My FI is catholic, and I'm non-religious, so we are not getting married in a church.  We have been looking at places to have the ceremony.  The South Bend Center for History is beautiful.  The Oliver Chilled Plow Mansion's gardens would be an awesome place for a ceremony.  There is this long arbor-type thing that a lot of people get married on. 

We will be looking at Tippacanoe Place tomorrow for a ceremony/reception site, as well as somewhere in Valpo.  Theres a lot of historical places downtown.  Also, there are a lot of great places a little north in Michigan (We are looking at fernwood, too.)  We will be checking out the Beiger Mansion in Elkhart next weekend.  So, if getting married in a church isn't that big of a deal to you, then there are tons of great options out there. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hippinhipster---I agree the place is gorgeous, but we have double the guest list than they can hold, so yearh....no goes for that one!

The Northern Indiana Center for History/Oliver Gardens is a great place to get married....if FI had proposed earlier in the year we would have done our reception there in the gardens but it was all booked for June (the only month we could do it with FI's job.)

You might want to look for churches in the Elkhart area rather than South Bend.  It can be quite the drive between cities, and it might be better to keep it all in one county.  I'll keep my ears open!

BlahBlah--If I'm not mistaken, isn't Beiger Mansion in Mishawaka, not Elkhart?

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    hide
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana_south-bend-area-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:97Discussion:d4d651ae-4126-4133-ba63-de2497f0ae0bPost:939660e2-878d-4666-acf4-880b2021b112">Re: South Bend Area Ceremony Site???</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI is catholic, and I'm non-religious, so we are not getting married in a church.  We have been looking at places to have the ceremony.  The South Bend Center for History is beautiful.  The Oliver Chilled Plow Mansion's gardens would be an awesome place for a ceremony.  There is this long arbor-type thing that a lot of people get married on.  We will be looking at Tippacanoe Place tomorrow for a ceremony/reception site, as well as somewhere in Valpo.  Theres a lot of historical places downtown.  Also, there are a lot of great places a little north in Michigan (We are looking at fernwood, too.)  We will be checking out the Beiger Mansion in Elkhart next weekend.  So, if getting married in a church isn't that big of a deal to you, then there are tons of great options out there. 
    Posted by blahblah85[/QUOTE]

Yeah wow that is a lot of places... do you know about how much those places cost to rent? We're on a rather tight budget
  • edited December 2011
    Clay UMC is 100 dollars and I am pretty sure you can use your own pastor! Just check the Wedding coordinators name is Lindsey. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana_south-bend-area-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:97Discussion:d4d651ae-4126-4133-ba63-de2497f0ae0bPost:6f671851-0d19-470c-ae14-73a169533e64">Re: South Bend Area Ceremony Site???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Clay UMC is 100 dollars and I am pretty sure you can use your own pastor! Just check the Wedding coordinators name is Lindsey. 
    Posted by diehld@uindy.edu[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much! I'll look into it :)
  • edited December 2011
    Tippancanoe Place was 70 dollars a room or 200 dollars a floor, but you have to have the reception there, and the food is 20-30 pp, and they don't have bar packages.  I am not a fan of no-bar packages!  Plus the house isn't very open.  Its not a good place for a over 100 guest wedding.

We went to Aberdeen Manor(I think thats what it was called?) in Valpo too, and they are 1200 for their non-denominational chapel, and another 1200 for their ballroom.  You have to have it catered by them, and pp are the same as Tippacanoe place.  You have to buy a bar package there, too.  They are around $16 pp.  I think you can use the chapel, and not have a reception there but it is such a far drive from sb to valpo (over an hour) that it dosen't make much sense.

Both places were a little over our budget as well, like we could afford them, but we can't see spending that much money for something that isn't unique, and us.

Beiger is in Elkhart.  Maybe it is close to Mishawaka? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana_south-bend-area-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:97Discussion:d4d651ae-4126-4133-ba63-de2497f0ae0bPost:6f671851-0d19-470c-ae14-73a169533e64">Re: South Bend Area Ceremony Site???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Clay UMC is 100 dollars and I am pretty sure you can use your own pastor! Just check the Wedding coordinators name is Lindsey. 
    Posted by diehld@uindy.edu[/QUOTE]

Well I looked into it! lol You can use you're own pastor... but it's $875 to rent! And another $200-500 for sound person, clean up, organist, ect.

So thats a no go for us lol That's WAY out of our budget :/
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I found a church for us!!! We're going to look at it tomorrow I'm so excited
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well we looked at the church today and it is perfect! It's exactly what we wanted it has huge beams going across the ceiling and gorgeous chandeliers! I'm so happy... it was in our budget too... $300 yay! So glad to finally get it checked off the list
  • HinesWeisHinesWeis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hippinhipster -
    What church is it? My FI is catholic and I am non-denominational, so we too are looking for a venue that will allow us to bring in someone to have a religious aspect to the ceremony. Thanks,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards