June 2013 Weddings

Tacky STDs? (poll!)

I thought photo magnet save the dates were cute...you could keep it on your fridge rather than throwing it out, and I've always liked the ones I've received.

I was reading a thread on the Invites and Paper board and a few people said they thought the photo magnets were tacky! I can definitely see how a cheesy one would be tacky, but are they becoming a faux pas altogether? I know I shouldn't care so much what other people think, but I don't want to look back at our wedding and regret a lot of choices we made.

Here is the one I had in mind, please rip it apart if you think it's tacky! I'd rather be insulted by Internet people than by my relatives!!

http://www.magnetstreet.com/details/market/517/productId/46694

Re: Tacky STDs? (poll!)

• I still have a co workers save the date magnet on my fridge. I liked that it was a constant reminder. And now I like have another rather cute magnet. But I might be weird. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That one you have linked there is ADORABLE. Send 'em out.
  • Definitely like the save the date magnets. We got magnets, but we didn't have a photo on ours. Yours is adorable though. I'd send it!
  • Those STDs are so cute, they make me want to send some out for our vow renewal!! LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • That is super cute! Send it!. I throw out paper ones almost as soon as I get them. We sent magnet save the dates and everytime I'm over at someones house I always see them on their fridges. I'd much rather have I can slap on the fridge for the constant reminder than a postcard I'll just toss because I hate keeping paper around.
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I did photo magnets as my STD and the ones you picked are adorable!
    November Siggy: STD/Invite inspiration imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I don't think they are tacky, BUT I have a stainless steel fridge... so I can't put magnets on it :( Just something to consider that the people receiving them may not really be able to use them or stick them anywhere! LOL
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_tacky-stds-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:c11ffdec-5486-4625-a8c1-314989c599edPost:0421353f-1d8b-4b52-a58f-03ebccccc96e">Re: Tacky STDs? (poll!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think they are tacky, BUT I have a stainless steel fridge... so I can't put magnets on it :( Just something to consider that the people receiving them may not really be able to use them or stick them anywhere! LOL
    Posted by crazykatiemae[/QUOTE]

<div>Do magnets not stick to stainless steel..? That will absolutely keep me from buying a steel fridge in the future. FI and I collect magnets from our travels. </div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I love getting magnet save the dates! Yours are cute, not tacky at all. I plan on sending them too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got STD photo magnets and everybody seemed to like them. I love them personally.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Stainless Steel fridges are just like normal fridges on the sides, you can stick magnets there
    November Siggy: STD/Invite inspiration imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I think magnet Save the Dates are very cute and useful. The one you attached is perfect! Simple and classic with a featured photo. Send them out!

We ended up just emailing the graphic for our Save the Date. Seeing as there are only 4 people on our guest list that don't have email (Grandmas and Great Aunts), we were able to save the money we would have spent sending printed Save the Dates and put it toward our invitations.

Had we gone through with sending printed Save the Dates, I probably would have sent magnets too. I think they're great!

Anniversary
  • cnf2013 -with stainless steel fridges you can't stick magnets to the front :( I didn't know this until AFTER we bought it. You can stick them to the sides on most, but where ours is in the layout of our kitchen, you can't see/use  the side. LOL

that being said, I still love the idea of magnet save the dates in general and fruitsnack's are super cute :)
  • I think it's adorable!! I love getting them. I wish they were in our budget, but... they aren't. I say send them out! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think these magnets are great.  I would just have to put a push pin through it to get it on my board.  This past year we received 2 paper save the dates and they were pretty boring.  That said, mine were pretty boring too but we put a calendar sticker on them.

cnf- I was just looking at these for a client who hates stainless steel:
    http://www.geappliances.com/design_center/slate-appliances/?icid=HPBanner2_SlateAppSite

Not sure if they hold magnets though.
    June 2013 * March Siggy Challenge * Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_tacky-stds-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:c11ffdec-5486-4625-a8c1-314989c599edPost:abcef9bc-e58a-4aa5-b01b-72f9bdf3fdf4">Re: Tacky STDs? (poll!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think these magnets are great.  I would just have to put a push pin through it to get it on my board.  This past year we received 2 paper save the dates and they were pretty boring.  That said, mine were pretty boring too but we put a calendar sticker on them. cnf- I was just looking at these for a client who hates stainless steel: <a href="http://www.geappliances.com/design_center/slate-appliances/?icid=HPBanner2_SlateAppSite" rel="nofollow">http://www.geappliances.com/design_center/slate-appliances/?icid=HPBanner2_SlateAppSite</a> Not sure if they hold magnets though.
    Posted by ciligirl[/QUOTE]

<div>That's awesome! I would love slate appliances. Assuming magnets will stick, haha. We bought all new appliances when we bought our house last year and we went with black because we figured dog slime and nose smear would be the least visible on black versus stainless. </div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ahh, thanks ladies! You all are so nice...I was prepared for some really nasty responses! We will definitely send them out :)
  • I think they're cute! We did postcards, either one serves the purpose to get people to save the date of your wedding so I wouldn't worry about some of the super judgy on the other boards. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMG that is one of the cutest STD's i've ever seen!! Smile

I'd totally keep that on my fridge :)
  • This is totally off topic from the original topic, but Cili, I love those appliances!! Now I'm mentally re-doing our kitchen with slate appliances.
  • My STDS are magnets from magnetstreet.com. I dont think they are tacky. Do what you like since it is your day :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards