Ohio-Northeast

table seating assignments....not an ohio thing?

Ok ladies. Heres the story. Im from mass originally. I just moved here to Ytown last year. whenenver ive been to a wedding in new england, there has ALWAYS been a table seating assignment ( not specific seating at the table, but just table numbers). So, Im getting married in Ytown, and I want table seatings. WELL....my MIL and SIL say "table seating is a new england thing, and weddings in Ohio dont have table seating arrangements". I dont think shes right, because my friends from ohio have been to plenty of weddings here WITH table seating. All my vendors ( florist, caterer, wedding planner...etc) say that table seating is a must and it makes everything goes MUCH smoother ( even though, yes i know, its a pain in the butt to put together).
So whats the deal...whos right? Me or her?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: table seating assignments....not an ohio thing?

• ericalynn525ericalynn525 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are right, most weddings I have been to around here (If not all) have had table seating with the place cards and everything! Maybe it is just something they haven't seen much around here. I think it makes everything a whole lot easier with planning!
    Photobucket August 6th, 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • missmis99missmis99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you are.  Every wedding I have been to around here has had table seating assignments.
    my read shelf:
    Robin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wanted to add a third opinion and say that every wedding that I have ever been to in Ohio has had seating assignment cards. You are correct. I think it's easier to manage seating this way anyways.
  • megilbmegilb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ok good..im not crazy!!!
  • l337Jacquil337Jacqui member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yep you are definitely right. no table assignments is complete chaos and it sucks. i have known a few people to go to weddings like this and they dont get to sit with friends and they get stuck with 90 year old aunt lucy or something un-fun. definitely do table assignments :)
    jacqui + erik 7.10.10
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    **Planning Bio**

• JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had table assignments, but didn't assign specific seats. It worked great. We had a guest list of around 175. I think the only way you might be able to get away with a free-for-all seating is if you have a VERY small guest list.
  • edited December 2011
    I've only been to one wedding that I can remember (near Akron) that didn't have table assignments- and I was totally stressed!! 

BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • GinaHessGinaHess member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's more of a "personal preference" thing...........personally I like order!  Besides if you don't have assigned seats you wind up with a couple tables nearly empty because some people don't know anyone BUT YOU, and they can't come sit with you! lol

I think it's more fun to have assigned seats anyhow...then you can pair up people that may not ordinarily think to sit together but may have a great time together (I love when that happens when I go to weddings)  I've been seated with people twice my age and had an absolute ball with them and under normal circumstances would have NEVER thought to say "can I sit here" if they were seated at the table...no way!
  • edited December 2011
    You're absolutely right! But that is really funny!
  • edited December 2011
    we had table assignments. and every wedding i've ever been to here in ohio has had them.  It is a little work, but is so worth it! Believe me the last thing your guests want to worry about is finding somewhere to sit, saving seats for others, worrying if they will be stuck with who they dont want to sit by and so on.  I say do it! you will be glad you did!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there, I'm from MA too, South Shore....... Been in OH for 7 years, getting married here in 8 days.... with table assignments :)
    Leanne
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards