Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Music-Sax or Bag Pipes

I really wanted a trumpet or cornet for the ceremony but I have a very kind friend who has offered to play the bag pipes or sax for our wedding.  Any suggestion on which and on specific music for the instrument??

Tara

Re: Music-Sax or Bag Pipes

• I went to a wedding that had a bagpiper.  Personally, I like bagpipes if they are at a distance, but up close they are absolutely painful to listen to so if your wedding is outdoors, the bagpipes could be lovely especially if there is a Scottish connection, but I DEFINITELY wouldn't do them indoors.  You and your guest will ber cringing.
  • Definitely the sax, which is more generally appealing, unless the bagpipes have personal meaning/significance to you or FI. And then only if they are outside or in a very large hall. (And, I like bagpipes. But, most people don't.)
  • Okay, I'm one of those people who loves bagpipes...but from a distance.  A friend of mine had a piper for her processional and it worked out great. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I am thinking of doing the bagpipes!
  • Bagpipes aren't universally appreciated.  Go with the sax.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • It depends, Are they big War(Traditional) Bagpipes or the uilleann pipes (Irish)? Because the uilleann are quieter and really very lovely. However if they are traditional pipes, as much as I love them, they really are entirely too loud to be played indoors. They were meant for battle fields, not churches.
    My baby Buster. FI is jealous cause I love him more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic >
  • My sister had bagpipes, we are irish. they were nice. Her wedding was outside. He kind of staying in the back and walked around.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We are having bagpipes it is also tradition in my family to have a bagpiper walk you into the reception hall after you have been wed. My dad is full blood scottish and my mom has a bit in her, so I put myself at 1/2!  My FI is also an 1/8 scottish, he also comes with the cool last name!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're having bagpipes and passing out earplugs :o)
    Anniversary
  • If you're planning on having a more traditional wedding I would say neither one and stick with the trumpet. There is tons of wedding repertoire out there for trumpet and it really rings through a church. The saxophone could sound cheesy way too easily IMO and if the bagpipes don't have some kind of special meaning to you then it might sound a little out of place, especially if that's all you have.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards