Missouri-St Louis

Wedding Dress restyling--recommendations for a seamstress?

Hi, I'm getting married in a year and a few months, and am planning to wear my mom's wedding dress.  I'd like to honor her memory (she passed away when I was little), so I'd like to wear this dress...or at least some version of it.  First off, it is several sizes too big, so it will be a job for the seamstress to make it fit (it's a size 10-12 right now, and I'm a size 2).  Also, it is a Victorian style, with ruffles and lace and a high collar.  Everything from the waist down (A-line, train) is beautiful, and it would have been exactly what I would have picked myself.  However, all the lace and ruffles going on from the waist up is too much and is too costume-y.  And the lace itches.

I have some ideas about how to re-style the dress--if the seamstress is good at his/her job, they should be able to do it--but my question is, how do I find someone that has this kind of expertise?  A seamstress who specializes in wedding dresses, particularly re-styling older ones?  If anyone else has had this same issue, let me know what you did.

Thanks!

Re: Wedding Dress restyling--recommendations for a seamstress?

• edited December 2011
    I use a good place but it is in Illinois. They have did a ton of stuff for me and my husband. The place is called Williards. It is off I-64 exit 12. Take 159 South, and make a left on US 50 and it is a mile or so on the right. I could not really suggest anything on the Missouri side because I live over here. Sorry, and good luck to you.
    Married at last!!
  • edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Connie (see her only, though) at R&M Designs in Kirkwood. She actually designs her own dresses, customizes existing designs, and works only on gowns/dresses. So, exactly what you're looking for! Her shop is small, but filled with beautiful dresses - she's designed for the VP fair, and does a lot of dresses for the area's private, more presitigious schools (graduation dresses, etc.)

She was recommended highly by my bridal salon, Town & Country Bridal.

You can tell she really loves what she does - it shows!

R&M Designs
    11150 Manchester Road, Kirkwood, MO 63122-125
    (314) 821-2932

• mwsrmr0422mwsrmr0422 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mother in law to be is an amazing seamstress, i was in a weddig about a year ago and she had to completely take it apart and put it back together!!! she is very good and very reasonably priced! please let me know if u would like to meet with her you can email me at rmr3m8@gmail.com! thanks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards