Snarky Brides
Options

Do You Find This Offensive?

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2F965tic.cbslocal.com%2F2012%2F12%2F17%2Fcomforting-poem-pays-tribute-to-newtown-victims%2F&h=ZAQGJqm3e&s=1

This has been splashed across my feed all day, and I think it's horrible. I can't even imagine what the poor parents of the victims are going through, and to have them given a voice is disturbing to me. These kids were excited about Christmas this time last week, and were likely counting down the days and planning class parties etc.

Now someone is posting about Santa bringing their presents to heaven because they're on a field trip with Jesus?

Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

Edit: Try this link instead. (crappy internet here - ugh!)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do You Find This Offensive?

• Options
    A patient read it to me this morning.  I alternated betw being creeped a little by it and wanting to cry buckets.
  • Options
    Marrin, I agree with creepy and sad. That's a good description.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I get the sentiment behind it, but it's a little short-sighted. Things like this have been cropping up a lot, I've noticed.
  • Options

Yes- I agree it's creepy.

I know it's awful, however I'm getting a little sick of the constant coverage and everyone turning this in to a debate on gun control. People are going to kill people if they have guns or not.

• Options
    Creepy, but not offensive. Kind of reminds me of the poetry a lot of girls I knew wrote in middle school - really bad, but just trying to make sense of the world.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Swag, there are a lot of these types of things, but I did think that this one was in poor taste. I have no problem with people turning to prayer during a crisis, but to put words into a dead child's mouth as a way of comforting others? I don't get that at all.

And I agree Britt, turning this into a gun control issue isn't going to change anything. There are bigger questions here that aren't being addressed. From what I've been reading, the shooter had some mental health issues. When tragedies like this happen, it's always mentioned, but nothing is being done to address that.

People need help and aren't getting it, and that's why these things happen. Guns don't kill people; people kill people. Cliche, but true.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't find it offensive, but I see how others could. I think it was done with the best of intentions, but is in poor taste. I agree that it is creepy, putting the words as if they were from the children, and I think it would be a bit better if it was about them, not from them, KWIM?
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_do-you-find-this-offensive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b98ec2a5-0c6a-4509-a3a3-82792a16e561Post:d9cbf03f-a802-4fe7-be13-cbc38940efd1">Re: Do You Find This Offensive?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it is in poor taste whenever people try to speak for dead children. I don't think heaven is a real place (sorry to those that do) and so the idea that this is somehow less tragic because those kids are in heaven looking at rainbows while hugging puppies is revolting. Those kids are dead, they will never see another rainbow, or hug another puppy. Am I offended by them poem? Nope. But I think it is in poor taste, poorly written, and whatever the opposite of insightful is<strong>. I'm also not sure why we can't use this as a good time to talk about gun control. If a drunk driver killed 20 kids on a school bus we'd be talking about drunk driving and how to stop it.
    </strong>Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

It's not that we can't talk about it, it's that regardless if there are guns or no guns, people will find a way to get them, more importantly people kill people, guns don't kill people. most of the people who do something like this have mental health issues, why aren't we talking about that? Why aren't we talking about helping prevent these tragedys instead of we must do away with guns? Drugs are illegal and people still get/use them. Guns aren't the problem people are.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_do-you-find-this-offensive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b98ec2a5-0c6a-4509-a3a3-82792a16e561Post:a810b00f-a8b2-4425-8ead-cf3a53a055aa">Re: Do You Find This Offensive?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Find This Offensive? : I think we should talk about this too. To me the questions should be how we can keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, and how can we ensure the mentally ill get the treatment they need to get well. It is a two prong question with a two prong answer. Making rape doesn't illegal doesn't stop people from raping, but I think we can agree that we are glad it is against the law. <strong>We don't get rid of laws just because criminals don't follow them. The fact is that the guns in this (and many) mass shootings were obtained legally.</strong> Do I think we should round up all the guns and destroy them? Of course not. I've shot guns, I know scores of responsible gun owners, those aren't the people I'm worried about. But that doesn't mean we can't think about what we can do to keep weapons out of the hands of the criminally insane. And as for people being responsible for bad acts, that is true. But the 22 people stabbed in the attack outside the school in China are all still alive, unlike the 28 dead victims in our school shooting.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

You're right. We don't change laws just because criminals don't follow them. So what good will it do to significantly restrict gun ownership of law abiding citizens if criminals will get guns anyway? All it does is leave those who use guns responsibly unable to reasonably protect themselves.
    And to the second sentence -- in this particular shooting, the guns were actually obtained illegally since the kid stole them from his mother AND he was a minor. But yes, the MOTHER obtained them legally.

Let me be clear that I am perfectly accepting of the possibility of changing gun laws so they're consistent throughout the country (for example, it's a long process to buy a gun in California, while in Nevada I could go to a garage sale and buy a gun no problem) and so law-abiding and mentally stable citizens are the ones who can obtain a gun. I'm not against requiring gun users to take a course to learn proper handing of a gun. I'm not against increasing the age of being able to purchase guns to be 21 or 25...
    But at the end of the day, there are scary, irresponsible, and a$$hole people in this world who are going to do whatever it takes to inflict their deadly intentions on others whether they have a gun or not. I personally would like to legally have the option to carry so I could protect myself and my family if some psycho comes around and wants to kill me/us, because me running at him with my arms flailing isn't going to do poo.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_do-you-find-this-offensive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b98ec2a5-0c6a-4509-a3a3-82792a16e561Post:bc0ee8ac-fa2d-44bf-8797-07c5519ffde1">Re: Do You Find This Offensive?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Find This Offensive? : You're right. We don't change laws just because criminals don't follow them. So what good will it do to significantly restrict gun ownership of law abiding citizens if criminals will get guns anyway? All it does is leave those who use guns responsibly unable to reasonably protect themselves. And to the second sentence -- in this particular shooting, the guns were actually obtained illegally since the kid stole them from his mother AND he was a minor. But yes, the MOTHER obtained them legally. Let me be clear that I am perfectly accepting of the possibility of changing gun laws so they're consistent throughout the country (for example, it's a long process to buy a gun in California, while in Nevada I could go to a garage sale and buy a gun no problem) and so law-abiding and mentally stable citizens are the ones who can obtain a gun. I'm not against requiring gun users to take a course to learn proper handing of a gun. I'm not against increasing the age of being able to purchase guns to be 21 or 25... But at the end of the day, there are scary, irresponsible, and a$$hole people in this world who are going to do whatever it takes to inflict their deadly intentions on others whether they have a gun or not. I personally would like to legally have the option to carry so I could protect myself and my family if some psycho comes around and wants to kill me/us, because me running at him with my arms flailing isn't going to do poo.
    Posted by AmJam04[/QUOTE]

Did you read her post?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_do-you-find-this-offensive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b98ec2a5-0c6a-4509-a3a3-82792a16e561Post:862be09a-5df9-47fe-bf56-d5b6a6f28c60">Re: Do You Find This Offensive?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Find This Offensive? : Where in my post did I say anything implying you wouldn't or shouldn't be able to do so?
    You didn't. That was kind of my own schpeel in response to the general outcry over gun control -- it wasn't SPECIFICALLY to you (the first paragraph was, I think.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_do-you-find-this-offensive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b98ec2a5-0c6a-4509-a3a3-82792a16e561Post:30884db0-da17-496b-b8aa-b69e60189465">Re: Do You Find This Offensive?</a>:
    [QUOTE]But the first paragraph doesn't address anything I said either. You agreed with me that we don't abolish laws just because criminals don't follow them, and then use that to support the contradictory idea that we shouldn't make laws that restrict gun ownership because it will interfere with the rights of law abiding citizens. It doesn't make sense to say what's the point of gun control if criminals will get gun illegally unless someone is saying all guns should be illegal, which I am not. I think you misunderstood me.
    I suppose I got so caught up with the two sentences I bolded in your post that I made an incorrect assumption about your stance. Sorry. :/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_do-you-find-this-offensive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b98ec2a5-0c6a-4509-a3a3-82792a16e561Post:0b169d2b-634b-4e24-8ea5-15e5a366966a">Re: Do You Find This Offensive?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Find This Offensive? : Funny how often this occurs when discussing gun control.  Not just with you, AmJam, but in general.  A person makes ONE statement having to do with any sort of control or regulation (or even a statement that makes it seem possible that they tacitly support stricter control and regulation) and suddenly they're insisting that the person is threatening to take all guns away from everyone.  It's ridiculous, and one of the major reasons that we cannot have a REASONABLE conversation about gun control in this country.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]
    I can't really argue with your point, because it's true. But from where I come from (California), we already have strict gun control, so when I hear that people want the laws to be even more restrictive, I get frustrated because it's already so difficult. From MY point of view, this whole topic of gun control gets irritatingly close to removing my right to legally own a gun at all -- much less use it to protect myself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Lia - I was reading an article on our local news site saying how the statistics show that there are more CHL carriers in FL than any other state, and how the editor was surprised how much higher it was than in TX.
    Then I started reading the comments, and apparently, it's easiest to get a CHL in FL than any other state. Because there are a large number of states that have some sort of state-to-state CHL transfer (and FL is one of those states), most people will get their CHL in FL and then just carry it in their state.

I am actually getting a gun for Christmas, and am taking my CHL class this Saturday (this was all planned way in advance of the CT shooting btw). The class on Saturday is a 10 hour course, and you have to pass a marks test at the end. There are also a lot of other requirements before I can actually get certified, and apparently it's not anything like that to get a FL CHL.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_do-you-find-this-offensive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b98ec2a5-0c6a-4509-a3a3-82792a16e561Post:2d39776a-6899-4784-a978-7c90ddc81baa">Re: Do You Find This Offensive?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Have fun at your CHL class!

Oh I will! It's a private class for a large portion of my family, 18-19 people. My great uncle is a retired cop and licensed to teach, so we figured it would be a great opportunity for us all to
    ..... ummm spread some Christmas cheer??
  • Options
    The issue of semi-automatic guns was briefly brought up, but until you have seen a semi-automitc shoot off 30 rounds in 5 seconds, it hard to imagine just how horrifyingly scary something like that is.  FI's buddy has one and the first time I saw it shot, I was terrified of what kind of damage something like that could do, and really made me start wondering why a civilian would need access to that kind of fire power.  

This is just coming from someone in the midwest, who lives in a house with 2 guns in it.  

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_do-you-find-this-offensive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b98ec2a5-0c6a-4509-a3a3-82792a16e561Post:7720835f-abc5-4b5a-b4e7-4d480b8119d8">Re: Do You Find This Offensive?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The issue of semi-automatic guns was briefly brought up, but until you have seen a semi-automitc shoot off 30 rounds in 5 seconds, it hard to imagine just how horrifyingly scary something like that is.  FI's buddy has one and the first time I saw it shot, I was terrified of what kind of damage something like that could do, and really made me start wondering why a civilian would need access to that kind of fire power.   This is just coming from someone in the midwest, who lives in a house with 2 guns in it.  
    Posted by Rochelle041[/QUOTE]
    I could be  totally wrong, because it is feasible to pull the trigger very quickly in a semi-auto... but it sounds like what you're talking about is a fully automatic -- and I agree, the average Joe Schmoe has no need for a fully automatic weapon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @Britany634...you were the first one to say "Let's not make this about gun control...but don't take my guns because people will kill each other anyway."

It must really hurt when you try to think complex thoughts.  

Previously Alaynajuliana

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards