Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Irish wedding traditions?

Both my fiance and me are Irish but we dont know the Irish wedding customs. We are wanting to have a traditional Irish wedding in northern indiana. I am hoping to get some great ideas. Can anyone help me please?

var fctb_tool=null; function FCTB_Init_20c47bc76ffc483da37569d19e89e185(t) { fctb_tool=t; start(fctb_tool); }

Re: Irish wedding traditions?

• I am Polish and we have a boat load of traditions...that involve ALOT of vodka.  My fiance is very irish but wasnt sure of traditions either..but he also wasnt big on them.  So we made a compromise to include both of our heritages.  We will still take part in the Polish traditions and for the irish part....we are getting married March 16 (the 17th is a sunday!), our color is kelly green and we are going to custom order irish whiskey flavored ice cream for dessert!  That made him extremely happy and we both are so excited to see it all come together!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_irish-wedding-traditions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:2c53433f-b550-4141-8708-06611da3ff61Post:8b1a5e3b-8c20-404b-aea0-3b6159d4360f">Re: Irish wedding traditions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am Polish and we have a boat load of traditions...that involve ALOT of vodka.  My fiance is very irish but wasnt sure of traditions either..but he also wasnt big on them.  So we made a compromise to include both of our heritages.  We will still take part in the Polish traditions and for the irish part....we are getting married March 16 (the 17th is a sunday!), our color is kelly green and we are going to custom order irish whiskey flavored ice cream for dessert!  That made him extremely happy and we both are so excited to see it all come together!
    Posted by kmd0501[/QUOTE]

Why not add Irish musicians for the wedding ceremony?  My friend is an Irish fiddler who played at my wedding.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • If you want some of the OLD irish traditions, look in to the celtic handfasting ceremony.  I've seen more and more people are adding this to ceremonies now.
  • I'm thinking of doing three so far.

First, the Irish wedding bell.  It is a gift, usually from the parents or an elder, and we're going to have someone ring it during our first kiss at the ceremony.  Then, instead of the forks-on-glasses method of getting us to kiss at the reception, we will put the bell on the dais for people to ring.  The idea is once you're married you keep the bell on your mantle forever and whenever you are having a silly argument, one of you rings the bell and you remember your wedding day and can't stay mad!

Next I'm gonna wear a horseshoe somewhere (maybe on my rist, or sewn onto the ribbon that holds the bouquet?)

Another is to carry (or sew into the hem of your dress) a handkerchief of Irish lace to be turned into a bonnet for the christening of your firstborn child.
  • In our family, if we haven't sung, it hasn't been a party.

Of course, the songs I know best aren't exactly best for a wedding (Wild Rover, Whiskey in the Jar), but if your family is Irish, I'm sure someone can muster up When Irish Eyes are Smiling.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards