New Jersey
Options

Decision between Merri-makers at Water's Edge and Sunset Ballroom

My FI (from Ocean County) and I (from Wash. DC) currently live in NC but want a beachy-feel wedding in Central NJ. We've driven up and back from NC to NJ the past two weekends and I think we've finally narrowed down our choices to Water's Edge and the Sunset Ballroom at Jack Baker's Lobster Shanty for our wedding in March 2011.

Last weekend we were totally sold on the Sunset Ballroom with its lovely and elegant bar, and the great view from the cozy yet spacious ballroom Then we saw Merri-Maker's this weekend. It's got a stellar view from the upstairs, a great menu, nice ballroom, bar and dance floor (and a few little other things that I like). And it's shockingly cheap - like $30 pp cheaper than Sunset Ballroom - I'm not sure why since it doesn't seem to fall short in quality. My FI still prefers the actual building that the Sunset Ballroom is in, but I think I'm leaning toward Water's Edge.

Does anyone have any personal or second-hand experiences with either venue that could help push us in one direction or the other? Thanks!  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Decision between Merri-makers at Water's Edge and Sunset Ballroom

• Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard quality from Sunset Ballroom is better than water's edge.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have attended weddings at both locations. My family has also had several family parties at the Lobster Shanty. My friend's wedding was at the Sunset Ballroom and the room is beautiful and the food is usually pretty good there. My other friends just had their wedding at Water's Edge and I was not impressed. I did not like the cocktail hour room at all...I was disturbed that the view is of a swimming pool and there were kids running around, and the food was just ok...cocktail hour did not have a very big spread compared to a lot of others places I have been (and they even had the more expensive package). While the view upstairs is very nice the dance floor area is a bit outdated, and some of the lights over the dance floor were actually burned out (shouldn't they inspect that before they have a wedding come in?!). I also did not care for the layout of the room....the Sunset Ballroom is a big open room with no visual obstructions.

Since I have been to events at both, I can tell you that if I had to pick between the two it would DEF. be the Sunset Ballroom.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was also looking into the Water's Edge for my wedding as well. Ultimately, my FI and I went some place else. When I asked friends, family, and other ladies on the knot for their opinion is was ehhh. The overall food was only so so and the service wasn't that great. I have heard more positive things about Sunset Ballroom but have never gone or seen it in person.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sunset Ballroom would have been my choice if my cousin wasn't just married there, so we went with Crystal Point Yacht Club instead. Water's Edge food is just "ehh" where as Lobster Shanty/Jack Backers is wonderful. IMO its worth the $30 extra.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally didn't like the set up of Lobster Shanty- thought it was way overcrowded for cocktail hour. My friend got married at Water's Edge and she loved it, but others say it's not impressive. Have to throw in... did you look at Channel Club? It's a different feel, but still on the water. I had a great experience there for my wedding.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We've been to weddings at both and definitely preferred the Lobster Shanty. My shower was there, and the food was fantastic, service was great, they were really flexible.
    The Water's Edge was dirty, there were cobwebs in the corners and DH was nearly served a sauce with shrimp - he is deathly allergic allergic. When he asked if there was shrimp in it, the server said no. However, I tasted it first and knew from the first bite there was shrimp. How can a server not know what they are serving?!? Big turnoff right there.
    The only downside when we looked at the Lobster Shanty (it was my 2nd choice) was no separate cocktail hour room. However, when we got to the event, it wasn't a big deal at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I heard too many bad things about the water's edge.  My vote is for the lobster chanty.  Did you check out the crystal point?
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding at the Lobster Shanty a couple months ago.  And while we have gone there for dinner and always thought the food was really good, I don't think they are that good at catering a large group. The meat was dry and/or overcooked and some friends told me that the fish was fishy.  It is a beautiful place but again the food wasn't that great. 
  • Options
    ellevellev member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the input ladies! I really, really appreciate it! I wish the consensus was for Water's Edge because I think I'm still leaning toward it, but your opinions (and suggestions of things to watch out for...I'm looking at you, lights over the dance floor) are beaucous helpful.

I think I'm leaning toward Water's Edge mainly for the following reasons: 1)  I know the cocktail hour room is weird, but the wedding is in March so we won't have to worry about people at the pool and I think everyone will forget one hour of weird set-up when they see the upstairs. 2) if I save $3000 then I'll be less worried about pinching pennies in other areas including the photographer, hair and makeup, etc.  3) I'm afraid it will rain in March and I think Water's Edge would be a better rainy day venue than SB 4) I do believe that SB has better food, but we can add some fun extras (sushi station!) if we do Water's Edge. 5) Water's Edge has colored linens, I can do my own centerpieces (SB's are tall, silk and a little overwhelming), and the gratuity is discretional and given directly to each person after the event so I think it will encourage great service.

I wish I could have looked at the Channel Club, but they never responded to my [2!] requests for information. I should have called them, but it sort of fell through the cracks. I did look at the Mill, Breaker's on the Ocean, Molly Pitcher Inn, McLoone's Pierhouse and the Oyster Point Hotel. If anybody is considering one of these places, I'd be happy to share my observations.

Thanks again, it's so interesting and helpful to hear everyone's experiences and observations!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ellevellev member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ohh no, now I'm leaning back toward the Lobster Shanty/ Sunset Ballroom!! How will I ever decide?!?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm surprised Channel Club didn't respond... they are VERY good at responding and emails. Not sure if you are up here at all anytime soon, but I would give them another chance... They are at the same price range or lower than Water's Edge I believe.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree w/ all the opinions on Water's Edge. I personally feel it's VERY outdated... and the food was not impressive. I was very surprised because I had my wedding at a Merri Makers facility (Neshanic Valley) and our food was outstanding. MH and I were excited about going to another merri makers wedding to enjoy our wedding food again and we were both thoroughly disappointed.

Our dinner waiter was fantastic however, and was taking our drink orders all night so we didn't have to go to the bar. He was the best thing of the entire wedding, however. We also had a leaky ceiling tile above our table and they had to bring out a bucked to catch the drippings... not classy at ALL.

Also, why would you want to pay extra for a sushi station if the food isn't that great to begin with? I'd rather choose a venue with less EXCELLENT food than more underwhelming food.
  • Options
    ellevellev member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_decision-between-merri-makers-waters-edge-sunset-ballroom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:40a31983-f6c5-4b04-bd81-5a4f1f400ecaPost:70a7d292-d36e-4805-8ae0-fa44e660705b">Re: Decision between Merri-makers at Water's Edge and Sunset Ballroom</a>:
    [QUOTE] Also, why would you want to pay extra for a sushi station if the food isn't that great to begin with? I'd rather choose a venue with less EXCELLENT food than more underwhelming food.
    Posted by rlb81[/QUOTE]

You're very right about this sentiment.

My FMIL is Italian and a great cook and thought the food that was cooking while we were in there smelled great so I'd stopped worrying about the food quality. I'm still processing the fact that the overall impression is that the food is mediocre and I should be concerned about it.

Personally, I'm so about the view that I thought that the food could take a back seat to that, but then I went to a wedding this weekend where the food was so terrible that people were sending their food back untouched. Our table was next to a station that had an empty serving tray set up on top of it. My friend's wife's salad was so horrible he put back on the empty tray and they took it away and served it to someone else!!! Aaahh!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ellevellev member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, gals! Going with the Sunset. My groom is happy and I think you might have helped me avert a disaster.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    k2maj5k2maj5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go with Sunset Ballroom.  Was just at a wedding at Water's Edge.   The ceiling is super low and there are poles in the middle of the room!  Plus the windows fog up when everyone is dancing at night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards