Military Brides

Really important question about Navy leaves!!!

So my fiancee is in power school in the Navy and our wedding is on June 12, 2010 I just wanted to know if he would be allowed to miss school that friday to arrive the day before...Is that a ridiculous request? and also inll get  Delaware in we have to file for a marriage license 30 days prior to the wedding and the courts are only open m-f 9-4pm(liberty starts at 4)...so im panicing on how we could get that(marriage license) and still get married on our date!..please help
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Really important question about Navy leaves!!!

• meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He should request leave for the day before the wedding. If it's approved, I assume he'll be able to attend, but I don't know anything about Navy in particular. My FI is in school at AFIT and he applied for leave like normal when he needed it, and if it was approved he was allowed to miss class.

As for applying for the license - he may have to try and take another day of leave. I can't imagine how else you'd be able to make it happen. Good luck!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • hegrigsbyhegrigsby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My H is Army as well, but in his Army training schools he is not allowed to request leave. You should have your FI talk to one of his superiors, to see if it's even possible.

If it is he needs to plan waay ahead, JIC. As for getting the license, do you really think they will let him off early?
  • angelsmileangelsmile member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The schools DH has been in (he is Navy), it has been difficult for him to get leave...it just depends on the type of school, what access they have to trainers and simulations, what their curriculum is that day (ex, if that's the ONLY day they can get into a certain trainer).

All he can do is ask, and know that it may not happen.  Even if it gets approved, it can still get changed.  That is unlikely, but it can happen.  IME, for weddings unless it was an absolutely vital thing, leave was usually allowed if planned in advance
  • edited December 2011
    thanks guys!...I hope he can get it!.....and is the courts usually closed on Memorial day?...i hope not!...u guys have help soo much!...hes in nuke training...
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is a nuc.... I asked him about getting leave while in Power School and he said he didnt think it was doable but hey you dont know til you ask the right people :)  Any plans on going to Saratoga, NY as a student?  FI was a student and Staff pick up here in Saratoga then when his time was done there we went out Washington for 3 1/2 years and now hes back as an instructor in Saratoga.
  • mevadurromevadurro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is an officer in the Navy and we are getting married in Annapolis. I went and got the marriage license without him and it was no problem. I just needed some basic info on him (name, address, birthdate, ss#, etc.). You should call the county courthouse where you are getting married, explain the situation, and ask them what the requirements are. Hope this helped some!
  • edited December 2011
    My guy is Army but they told him the first day of his school, that he should have gotten everything important out of the way before he started because he will be busy every weekday 5am-5pm. But he does get 4 day holiday weekends...lol ... hope your experience is different!
  • sgsl2009sgsl2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we got our license, we were told that AD military didn't follow the same rules as a typical civilian wedding. You might be able to just show up the day before and grab a license quickly.
  • hh581842hh581842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, the one thing I've learned about the navy (or military in general) is that nothing is ever for sure.  even if he requests leave and it's granted, it could still be changed. So have him ask, and do as much as you can, then all you can do is see how it turns out!!! lol.  But definitely, definitely have a back up plan!! for example, just in case something happens the first time he's planning on taking leave for the license, plan a second day and so on.  Good luck girl! The military is frustrating like that! :-/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards