Ohio-Columbus

Panic/Passport

Hi Girls,
I used to post on here a lot, then after the format change I drifted off.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a passport. My FMIL assured me that she had one for my FI. Well, now we realize he never had one. (something about you used to not need one for a cruise, and she was assuming she had gotten him one when he was younger)

Anyway, our wedding is July 2nd and we leave on the 4th for our honeymoon. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a passport? He can't make it to a post office easily due to his work schedule. (Mandatory overtime, six 12 hour shifts for the the next 2 weeks.) I've printed off the form, but we may not be able to get it to the post office for a few weeks.

Thanks

Re: Panic/Passport

• edited December 2011
    I just googled it:
    Even still, he should go sooner than later - even if he has to take sick time or a longer break.  He may be able to schedule an appointment at a passport agency so he doesn't have to wait as long.
    http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

Application Processing Times

ROUTINE SERVICE

As of ( Monday March 29, 2010 ), we are processing routine applications in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application.

EXPEDITED SERVICE*

As of ( Monday March 29, 2010 ), we are processing requests for expedited service, that include overnight delivery to and from the Passport Agency, about 2-3 weeks door-to-door*.

• edited December 2011
    I found this on the US Department of State passport website:

ROUTINE SERVICE

As of ( document.write(setClock()); Monday March 29, 2010 ), we are processing routine applications in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application.

EXPEDITED SERVICE*

As of ( document.write(setClock()); Monday March 29, 2010 ), we are processing requests for expedited service, that include overnight delivery to and from the Passport Agency, about 2-3 weeks door-to-door*.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

You should be ok.  Some post offices around town are open 24 hours. I would try to find one of those and get it asap to give yourself a breather!
  • BrittBritt22BrittBritt22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even if the post office is open 24 hours they might not take passport applications at all hours - and not all post offices process passports so I would call before you go!

• skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both the Dublin Post Office (downtown Dublin) and the RIverside Drive Post offices (just south of Fishinger in the Golden Bear shopping center) do passports but as was said, not all of them do passports at all hours. You can pick up the form, fill it out and take it back later if you want. That can speed it up. Fill out the form carefully, it has to be correct or they will make you do it over.
  • edited December 2011
    You have to make an appointment at the post office. I went to the post office the first week of March and I just got my passport in the mail two days ago. Make sure you have all the information (birth certificate, id, picture) when you go to the post office. You have to have a specific size for your passport picture. Many post offices will take your picture while you're there, but others don't. You just have to call in and ask. If you order your passport within the next few weeks, you should get it in time.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    I think you'll be fine.  We just had to renew ours and did the regular processing.  It took about 4 weeks.  I would do it sooner rather than later though.  My sister once had her's lost (or more likely stolen) when it was mailed to her.  She had to then get one rushed to her before her trip.  GL!
  • BrittBritt22BrittBritt22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can get the pictures taken at FedEx Kinko's too, I think it is only like ten bucks.
  • e_jarrette_jarrett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Walgreens (at least in our town - I'm not actually in Columbus, just the closest area to me) does photos as well. And they're only about 7$ there. I had to get mine expedited for a trip to England in January. It arrived in just under the 2 weeks they had posted on the website - so a good option if you get too close to when you need them. My parents are just now getting theirs to fly to England in June for our blessing/family celebration there. I think they're just going to go with regular service.
    215image 181image 30image 8image
  • edited December 2011
    4-6 wks is the current turn around/processing time. We applied for ours 3 wks ago and will be leaving June 20 for our HM. I am out of state, but I know down here, the hours are funky (gotta be there by a certain cut-off time, etc) and some of them are by appt only. I would just call around and get in ASAP. Its the gov't, so I would allow plenty of time bc they usually take there sweet old time.

Remember to take your birth certificate and DL with you. They keep your BC and mail it back to you later. I sure hope mine comes back, I am still freaking out about it.
  • aldavisaldavis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Last year, I applied for one in January 09 for my June trip to Jamaica and received it within one week.  However, FH applied Jan 10 for our May Caribbean cruise and received a packet to complete so they could further verify his identity.  That was done a month ago and we've still heard nothing back.  And MOB applied for one Mar 07 for her late June trip to England and had to contact our local state representative several times before receiving it (3 days before her trip). I also know someone who paid to expedite the process but then had to drive from Springfield to New Orleans to do much of it in person with the State Dept (mostly because they waited too long to book their trip and apply).  In short, the amount of time it takes depends on the State Department's case load.

Besides that, I have a couple of random tips for the process:
    1. Don't forget that the State Dept will keep the birth certificate until the process is complete so if he'll need it for anything else (marriage certificate)he'll need to get a second copy.
    2. Passport photos @ Walgreens = $7 versus $15 @ USPS
    3. US citizen cruise passengers leaving from and returning to the same U.S. port are required to have WHTI-compliant documents, but not necessarily a passport as long as the countries being traveled to are one of the 17 countries within the western hemisphere that have an agreement.  
    4. Your local US representative's office can help once the application's been submitted.
    A
  • edited December 2011
    I just checked on the status of our passport that we applied for about 3 wks ago, and it said they are in the final processing stages and should be mailed by April 3. So I guess maybe that is to get you all freaked out about the whole 4-6 wks thing, but I suppose that could change, too. I think you will be fine, just get them in as soon as you can =)
  • edited December 2011
    If you are really concerned, you can pay a little more and have an agency rush it for you. I used passports and visas to go (vp2go.com) when my dog ate my passport 5 days before i left on a vacation to london. They were EXTREMELY helpful and walked me through all the steps. They hand walk to over to the state department and you can have it the same day if you need it. It is not cheap, but an option if you need one quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards