Favors

Donation card at tables

My soon to be sister in law has decided they are going to make a donation to the SPCA instead of giving out favors. Does she need to provide each quest with a card at the table stating this or is one card for the table enough? 

Re: Donation card at tables

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I wouldn't put anything on the table.  A donation to a charity, no matter how worthy is NOT a favor to your guests. 

It's lovely to make a donation in honor or YOUR marriage, and it's entirely appropriate to do that.  But it doesn't need to be announced.

A very wise knottie explained it this way:  you don't tell people what they're NOT getting. 

So why would you (collective you)  tell someone that you're not getting them a favor.

IMO:  the couple can make the donation, and that's it.  If you don't want to give a favor, don't, and that's just fine.

But don't pretend that a donation is a gift to your guests.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well said PP!!!
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Trix
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the comments. While I do not disagree with you, the decision to put out cards has already been made, and therefore the question is 1 card per table or 1 card per guest?. 
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you agree with everyone, then why are you doing cards?  That just makes no sense.
  • edited December 2011
    navybaby1113
    My soon to be sister in law has decided they are going to make a donation to the SPCA instead of giving out favors.
  • spostersposter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel that it's up to you what you want to do.  We made a donation to Haiti and I made up 2 tent cards per table...one on each side.  Yes the donation would have been made either way, but it's nice that people know that you did.
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just make the donation, no need to AW yourself
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • edited December 2011
    I think one or two cards per table would be fine. One at each plate could start to get crowded with the place settings, centerpieces, etc. already on the table.

And just for the record, I think donation favors are a fantastic idea. I'd rather know someone gave a few dollars in my honor to someone (or something) in need than get another handful of chocolates or a cute box that will get buried in my room or thrown away. What good does that do?

Guests ABOSLUTELY deserve recognition and graciousness from you for their attendance and contributions to your wedding, but I personally feel that a donation does a better job of that than most trinkets.

Besides: "It's lovely to make a donation in honor or YOUR marriage, and it's entirely appropriate to do that." So why is it inappropriate to honor your guests as well?

I guess it just depends on what kind of couple you are.
  • edited December 2011
    I am thinking about making a donation in honor of my guests instead of trinkets also.  I think it's a great idea!  I'm pretty sure my guests won't be coming to my wedding just to receive some candy or a coaster that will never be used...I would rather show my appreciation by helping to make a difference!
  • hh581842hh581842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think favors are necessary because you look cheap if you don't have them, but ultimately stupid and a waste of money.  So i think the donation in lieu of a favor is an awesome idea.  Then  guests would still get something so they know i didn't just decide not to get them anything, and it would actually be a useful gift, because unlike some stupid trinket it will make a real difference in the world.  I think that has a lot more value than some cookie or trinket favor. And if i was a guest at a wedding i would be happy the couple didn't waste the money buying me something I'll either eat or never use and instead put it to good use.  

That being said, because it is in lieu of a favor that each guest would individually receive, i think that each place setting should have an individual card, rather than one at each table.  That way you can thank each guest for coming and emphasize the importance of them being there through the donation the couple gave.
  • edited December 2011

I myself am making a donation and am planning on putting 1 tent card on each table to announce it. I dont in anyway think this is cheap nor do I think its tacky to announce. Im tired of getting cheap crap as favors and I think this is a great new idea and have seen it being done more and more.

• edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your comments! This was very helpful. 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow.  Some bridezillas on this board for sure.  If I went to a wedding where a donation was being made in lieu of some tacky cheap gift, I'd be thrilled.  Plus, I'd want to know about it.  Props to your FSIL for the generous idea.  I think 2 cards per table would be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards