Canada-Ontario

when is a good time to involve the Mom in Law in the wedding dress selection?

I'm going for my first wedding dress appointment on the weekend, and not sure if I should involve the Mom in Law. I'm going with my mom and my MOH. Or should I wait until I"m ready to buy it? I want to involve her at some point. 

Re: when is a good time to involve the Mom in Law in the wedding dress selection?

• Meaghann17Meaghann17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I brought her along to the first appt (truly thinking I'd buy one). 3 appointments later I still didnt have it and she went on vacation. Then I found it at the 4th place! So I unintentionally got it without her. I'm going to invite her to the final fitting.

my brother got married last summer and his fiance didnt invite our mom until she had made a decision. so i think either option is ok!

but i would tell her what you're thinking.. like maybe "im heading out to try dresses tomorrow with my mom and moh! Do you think if I find one I like you have time to come see it next week?" that way she knows whats up, doesnt hear you went dress shopping and think u ignored her. my SIL used that exact wording and my mom was really excited!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    244 Invited image 43 Attending image 5 Declined image Waiting on 198 image
    RSVP Date October 3, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    That's super helpful! I would like to invite her the day I buy it, but who knows when that will be. At least maybe I'll wait until I have more of an idea about what I want. ... 

defineatly for the final fitting. 

But I like your wording. 
  • Meaghann17Meaghann17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_good-time-involve-mom-law-wedding-dress-selection?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:7dfe439a-d278-48c8-9f6c-69c534005ae0Post:4c2b35fd-387f-43ca-bb2a-3eece3f93258">Re: when is a good time to involve the Mom in Law in the wedding dress selection?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's super helpful! I would like to invite her the day I buy it, but who knows when that will be. At least maybe I'll wait until I have more of an idea about what I want. ...  defineatly for the final fitting.  But I like your wording. 
    Posted by pikachiu132[/QUOTE]

yah my brother actually suggested it to his wife when she asked if my mom should be invited along.. our cousin didn't include her mother in law in any of the process and there were a lot of hurt feelings! if you are close and shes geographically nearby I think including her in something is a kind gesture!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    244 Invited image 43 Attending image 5 Declined image Waiting on 198 image
    RSVP Date October 3, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I'm still planning the wedding but I didnt include my mother inlaw when I bought my dress. I only took my mom because I just went on a whim during a sample sale and had no intention of buying but I found my dress. I also did not want too many people giving me advice on what dress looks good on me, everything just takes too long.

I am the same way now with everything else with the wedding. My FI and I plan everything together and have help from a family friend on my side. I like to oversee everything to make sure it's what my FI and I had envisioned. The only times I connect with my in laws is during finalizing guestlist or anything that they will take part in the actual ceremony and reception other than that my FI and I do everything else.  
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ended up randomly finding my dress when I was out just with my mom, that said, I took my MOH and my FMIL back to the store to see it before I purchased it.
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• edited December 2011

I took my mom, my MOHs and my FMIL to the first appointment -so glad I did as I ended up buying the 5th dress I tried on!  But my FI is an only child so I want to make sure my FMIL is included as much as possible.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards