Catholic Weddings

Pre-Cana

Going to Part II of Pre-Cana tomorrow morning (i.e. Natural Family Planning).  I'm kind of nervous about sitting through a discussion in a room filled with strangers about this topic since I know what NFP consists of.  Has anyone attended the class yet?  Is it going to be as uncomfortable as it sounds?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pre-Cana

• PressMePressMe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The NFP portion of my class wasn't bad at all.  We learned the Creighton method, so it was taught from a more clinical aspect. 

The instructor never asked if we planned on using it or not.  She did inquire about what we had heard before the class, so that she could try to dispel any myths.

As a new Catholic, I went in open minded, but a little skeptical.  It turned out much better than I ever imagined because the technique was presented as something for us to do together and not just another thing for me to monitor.  HTH

• edited December 2011
    I've gone through it, it really isn't that bad.  Or my experience wasn't anyway.  It really depends on the church, but I was dreading pre-cana (every part of pre-cana) and I left pleasantly surprised.  Both FI and I had a great time.  If you don't agree with NFP then don't practice it.  End of story.  Don't stress over it.  FWIW, you don't actually sit there and talk about your sex life or what you expect your sex life to be with everyone in the class.  In our pre-cana they talked about sex and then you discuss sex privately with your FI.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the comforting words. 

I agree.  The first part of PreCana wasn't bad at all, in my opinion.  It was definitely put together from a psychological viewpoint rather than a religious one and both of us found it surprisingly productive.  I'm glad that part II will be presented the same way.  Thanks again for the information.
  • edited December 2011
    They didn't talk about NFP at all.  This is interesting because I thought Pre-Cana material would be uniform across churches. Today's class was more about the Church's views on contraceptives and love vs. lust, etc., lecture format.  Part I was definitely so much better.  
  • EmilyinAZEmilyinAZ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where I live, the diocese has recently changed the rules for couples marrying in 2010. As it used to be, each couple going through Pre-Cana had to attend just one 2-hour "Intro to NFP" to fulfill the marriage requirements. Now they are requiring couples attend this Intro class, PLUS three more classes on NFP methods.  This is a total of around 10-12 hours of learing NFP, which many young couples these days won't even practice.

I find it a shame they have changed the rules to this. Even the Pastor at my church disagrees with this. My FI and I are furious because we both went to medical school and have learned the anatomy/physiology of the topic, AND he is out of town on medical school rotations so won't be around to attend classes with me.  Don't worry: the church's solution: Online classes! Yay!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards