Louisiana-New Orleans

Elderly Guests during Second Line - Dilemma

My fiance has an elderly relative who is doted on by the family. They can walk but not very far so they usually ride in a wheelchair. We are having a second line parade after our ceremony and it was suggested by one of my fiance's relatives that we should hire a carriage that the elderly relative can ride in during the parade. I really don't want to do this.

I'm afraid if I say it's not in the budget, they'll just say that they will pay for the carriage themselves. I don't want anyone riding in a carriage. I have elderly relatives as well and if they can't walk the distance, I can't afford/don't want to hire carriages to pull them all. Also, it's not like this person is the "guest of honor" or anything like that. I don't think it makes sense for them to be riding in a carriage when no one else is.

The relatives I have who can't walk in the parade will be pushed in wheelchairs by other family members, and I think that's what should happen with my fiance's relative as well.
How can I tactfully make it clear that no one will be riding in a carriage during the second line parade? Did any of you have a similar situation?

Re: Elderly Guests during Second Line - Dilemma

• RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I can't tell if you don't want the carriage because of the cost, how it looks, or both...

But we ordered a carriage right before the ceremony (not fancy and not prepaid or reserved) because about 6 guests indicated it might be difficult for them to walk the 9 blocks.  By the time the band started playing, none of them wanted the carriage because they didn't want to miss out on the fun so we sent the carriage away.  My father could only manage 2 blocks (bad feet as a result of diabetes) and my hubby's aunt got winded, so my clever wedding coordinator, ordered them a pedi-cab for $25.

Since I don't know if you're saying you just don't want anyone in any kind of carriage/vehicle, then I'm not sure if this will be a solution for you.  I certainly wouldn't have minded if people took the carriage, the pedi cab or nothing at all-- whatever would make it possible for them to join in the 2nd line, I guess. 
  • Bezlu what was the pedicab like? My FSIL has suggested we hire these instead of a carriage but I don't want my parents to be uncomfortable. Although it would save a lot of .
  • I think pedicabs are a great compromise. Everyone will be mobile, and then no one will have the job of pushing the wheelchairs. All your guests can enjoy your SL this way.
  • Thanks guys! I will look into the pedicabs.
  • RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    My Dad thought the pedi-cab was a hoot!  He and my MIL's sister both fit in it and neither of them is exactly slim :-)

• I really don't understand the problem with a carriage if your ILs are wiling to pay for it.  It's considerate to the elderly guests to let them ride if they prefer.  It won't look weird or "ruin your pictures."  I'm glad the pedicab suggestion is palatable to you. 

Think of it this way: if you're riding in a pedicab or a carriage the thought process is "Ooh! This is fun and festive." If you're riding in a wheel chair the thought is "Wow. I am old and sick.  Goody."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards