Ohio-Columbus
Options

Question (mainly) for the married Knotties

To help us with our budget, I have a questions for the married ladies that still frequent this board. . . . .

Knowing what you now know about your wedding day, what would you have changed or done differently ASSUMING that by spending more money on a particular service would have given you better results???  On the other hand, what would you have spent less money on because it wasn't as important as you thought it would be?

I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions on this.  It just seems that every vendor we look at / talk to is telling is not to skimp on their area.  My FH seems to think they all have over inflated opinions on their importance.\

I don't want to limit this to just the married Knotties.  If you recently attended a wedding or reception I'd like to hear your opinion also.

TIA

Re: Question (mainly) for the married Knotties

• Options
    Freckles27Freckles27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I can't wait to answer this in 3 and a half weeks Cool
    Are there things that you find more important that others?  Many people are going to disagree on a lot of things.  Like I would say invest in photography because that is all your going to have after the wedding, but cut back on favors.  Invest in centerpieces because people will be analyzing them all night, but cut back on transportation if you're on a tight budget.  But someone else may say cut back on centerpieces, because they're just centerpieces, but invest in transportation because it will be cool for pictures/appropriate for the bridal party, etc.
    You'll always have vendors say don't cut back on their service because they want your business.  But try to envision your day and what you would love to have in it and the other things will fall into place if need be.  I never planned to having videography, but I found such an amazing deal so we're having it.  But I would never have splurged on it.  Good luck.  But if you like a concrete list, I'm sure I could come up with one that reflects my wedding Smile

• Options
    edited December 2011

I'm not married yet either but I know for sure my number one importance is Photography.  Having the memories was the most important to me I have photography, videography and a photobooth.  I have over a 5th of my budget on those 3 things.  Second was everything that went into my reception, like food, the venue, and drinks.  I am not big on the cake so I am actually getting my wedding cake at Giant eagle, they made my friends and it was beautiful and much cheaper than some of the specialized cakes places.  I am also getting a small cake and sheet cakes to be cut in the back to save money.  Also I am getting flowers for the ceremony but I am doing candle centerpieces.  If you are intrested in this the flower factory is a great place to get the candles and globes to hold them.  I bought for 36 tables and spent around $150 dollars.  Also I recommend finding a dress designer you like and finding a trunk show to go to.  I did that and saved 15% on my dress. 

• Options
    Stackeye210Stackeye210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is a really hard question because everything is suited to a specific couples tastes.  I know lots of people say don't skimp on photography, but besides the few great pictures I have in my living room I have not looked at my wedding album since I received it. 

I think food is a place where you can get a great deal, but you can't skimp on quality.  We found a great caterer we liked, but we also talk down the prices.  So we got great quality but managed to spend about $5 per plate LESS then their actual list prices. 

Sometimes getting pricier things is all about how you ask for them.  These vendors want your business and you can talk them all down on price.  You'd be surprised how easy it is. 

We DIY'd our favors and they actually turned out to be my favorite detail of the wedding.  I spent probably $40 making them for 120 guests.  We did flower seed packets and the best part was after our May wedding guests went home and threw the seeds in their gardens and we received pictures from various guests of their flowers growing.  I thought that was pretty neat. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not married yet, but can definitely relate to your question bc we are on a tight budget since I moved down to be with FI and took a huge paycut. Definitely agree with not skimping on the photography. I have also realized you don't have to have the most expensive of everything for it to look nice. Sometimes less is more. We too are probably cutting out the limo or other transportation (and a wedding we went to this past fall the couple did that too to cut costs), our centerpieces are nice, but basic, nothing way too over the top. I am a simple girl and don't like all the fancy, frilly receptions anyway. I think we have gotten pretty good deals on all of our services, mainly bc we have a lot of connections, except for the limo/transportation.

I also am not paying for my BM's to get their hair done as most of them know they will pay for it themselves or I trust they will do it and it will look nice for the pics. That $ saved would pay for the dj b/c I have 6 girls and 2 FG's.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For us, we had a lot of people traveling from far-off places to be at our wedding.  And for that reason, I wanted to make sure our guests were comfortable and taken care of.  So therefore, we kind of splurged on things that would actually affect our guests, and skimped on pretty much everything else.  By far, our biggest expense was the reception - the full open bar/cocktail hour/dinner price per person was not cheap.  But I wanted to throw a nice party for the people who loved us enough to make the effort to be there.

In comparison - flowers, centerpieces, favors, I just did as cheaply as possible.  I DIYed the invitations and a friend made our cake, so those were free.  My dress was only $250.  I think all told, the food/drinks cost around 70% of our total budget.

But like everyone is saying, this is a matter of your personal priorities.  It just so happened that this was the way we did things.

I will say, though, that I wished we'd gotten a videographer, even if just for the ceremony.  A couple guests did take some grainy video footage but it's hard to make out the words.  When I was in the planning process, I kind of skimmed over the ceremony because I was very nervous about walking down the aisle and saying my vows in front of so many people.  But somehow, our ceremony turned out so unique and had so much "us" in it, that I wish I'd gotten it on video to save.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know this isn't going to help, but I really wouldn't have changed a thing. I spent exactly what I wanted to on everything, and I got everything I wanted. I had the flowers I wanted (though, if I needed to cut my budget, that would have been the first to be cut), had videography, an open bar, floral centerpieces, trolley transportation and superb photography.
  • Options
    TropicalglazeTropicalglaze member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am with Amy, I wouldnt change a thing!  Sorry I know it does not help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards