Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Ozzie update

Well I just got a call back from the vet and his red blood cell count was nice and high, so he's not anemic (yay!). However, he had elevated liver enzymes (or something like that, she was using a bunch of medical terms). She said this was indicative of him eating a mothball, so at least now we know and I can convince FI this vet trip wasn't in vain. :)

She's prescribing him some medicines to hopefully bring these down and will check him again in two weeks.

And I hate our neighbors.

Re: Ozzie update

• Options
    Glad to hear he's on the mend. Hopefully he will feel all better soon.

Also, I think you should throw dog poop in your neighbor's yard. Preferably some with mothballs in it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Well I'm glad he's ok! I also hate your neighbors. Do you think they could have done this on purpose?
  • Options
    Yay! Hopefully the meds will help. Glad to hear he's going to be good!
  • Options
    I'm not really a confrontational person, so I'm really having an internal struggle. I have this huge rage boiling inside me towards our stupid neighbor, but part of me just wants FI to deal with it. I don't know if I'm more scared of confronting the neighbor or of flying off the handle and looking like a crazy foil-hat wearing person when I went off on him.

• Options
    Glad he's ok!  Stupid neighbors.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    It's a good day for the dogs, it seems. Glad to hear Ozzie is ok. And I'd be super pissed at the neighbors too. And I've never known anyone besides my great-grandmother who has been dead since about 1995 to use mothballs.
  • Options
    Manda, he's putting the mothballs in the yard on purpose, but I don't think to poison our dog. I think it's to poison SOMEthing though. And it pisses me off because he has no right to throw shiit in our yard, especially to harm animals.

Part of me wonders if it's because we have a bird and squirrel feeder in that part of the yard and he doesn't like them getting near his shed or something.
  • Options
    anna, he was using the old kind too which are more harmful Undecided
  • Options
    Poor guy! I'm glad he's on the mend. Definitely have words with the neighbors and if necessary get the police involved.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    Oh good, I'm glad he's all better.

I would probably go to the neighbor and start the conversation in a friendly tone saying that just so they knew, your dog had been very sick due to their littering on your property. Any resistance or anything other than "oh my god, I am so sorry" would get rid of the friendly tone in about .2 seconds.
  • Options
    Birdie, i'm glad he's alright. 

I do hope that k9 whats her name doesn't try to take credit. 
  • Options
    You should definitely say something to him. Or at least have your FI let him know that those things are basically poisonous to dogs. He may at least be unaware of that and this might make him stop.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It could also be that something like a racoon picked one off his property and carried it onto yours. It's pretty stupid of him to go throwing poison around. What if you had a toddler in addition to Ozzie? Moron. (The neighbor, not the hypothetical toddler.)
  • Options
    I know people down here use them outside to keep away wild animals (possum and racoons, etc.) and stray cats.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Glad to hear he is doing better.

I must have missed the story, but your neighbors must suck bigtime.
  • Options
    YAY OZZIE!

BOO NEIGHBOR!

My neighbor's house is for sale. Move in ready, ifyannowwhatImean.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Yay Ozzie, glad to know he's on the up-and-up. :)
  • Options
    Well, we've found the mothballs on multiple occasions. FI's just picked them up each time and Ozzie usually doesn't get back that far so we haven't worried too much about it yet. Now I'm going to be a mothball Nazi!
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ozzie-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5642a05c-70a9-429f-9e80-e81542aca467Post:d39b4a2b-6cea-4f58-8f0f-efa7c6d0b12f">Re: Ozzie update</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, we've found the mothballs on multiple occasions. FI's just picked them up each time and Ozzie usually doesn't get back that far so we haven't worried too much about it yet. <strong>Now I'm going to be a mothball Nazi!
    </strong>Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

I'm glad Ozzie's better, Birdie!

No mothballs for YOU.
  • Options
    I think you should present the vet bill to your neighbor and inform him/her that if it's not reimbursed to you in full you'll not only take him/her to small claims court, you'll also contact police about animal cruelty, vandalism, and littering charges for throwing the mothballs in your yard.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    Gosh, I'm so glad he's okay!  If you are sure that it's the neighbor doing something, perhaps you could just go over there and say nicely "I don't know if you were aware, but the mothballs seem to be getting into my yard.  My dog ate one and was really sick.  So if you could watch and make sure they don't come onto our property, I'd be very grateful.  Thanks!" 

Is that too passive-aggressive?
  • Options
    Awe I'm so glad to hear that Ozzy is better!  I don't like confrontation either but when it comes to my dogs and someone putting something (accident or not) in my yard that could harm them, I'd be a raging, lunatic, dog lady. 

My hillbilly neighbor with 900 outdoor cats tried to tell me that my GS needed to be put to sleep because she goes after his cats that wander on my property and I lost every ounce of self control that I had. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ozzie-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5642a05c-70a9-429f-9e80-e81542aca467Post:6944e456-2c38-478e-8113-6e8a35ae6509">Re: Ozzie update</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you should present the vet bill to your neighbor and inform him/her that if it's not reimbursed to you in full you'll not only take him/her to small claims court, you'll also contact police about animal cruelty, vandalism, and littering charges for throwing the mothballs in your yard.
    Posted by lisarose7[/QUOTE]

<strong>I think lisarose gave you a great suggestion (but I am a confrontational kind of person)
    You want to at least say something to the neighbor because *gosh forbid* something happens again - you gave them a warning once, after that it is on</strong>.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ozzie-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5642a05c-70a9-429f-9e80-e81542aca467Post:6944e456-2c38-478e-8113-6e8a35ae6509">Re: Ozzie update</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you should present the vet bill to your neighbor and inform him/her that if it's not reimbursed to you in full you'll not only take him/her to small claims court, you'll also contact police about animal cruelty, vandalism, and littering charges for throwing the mothballs in your yard.
    Posted by lisarose7[/QUOTE]

I have to agree 110% with this.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ozzie-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5642a05c-70a9-429f-9e80-e81542aca467Post:9b3ff334-405c-4ae5-9057-546cdd30edf4">Re: Ozzie update</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gosh, I'm so glad he's okay!  If you are sure that it's the neighbor doing something, perhaps you could just go over there and say nicely "I don't know if you were aware, but the mothballs seem to be getting into my yard.  My dog ate one and was really sick.  So if you could watch and make sure they don't come onto our property, I'd be very grateful.  Thanks!"  Is that too passive-aggressive?
    Posted by MattsPenguin[/QUOTE]

Too passive, needs more aggressive. ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I'm afraid if I'm the one to talk to the neighbor, I'll pass right over the polite part and go straight to raging bitch momma bear. :)

If neighbor guy doesn't seem remoresful, I'm going to tell FI to threaten calling the police the next time we see something in our yard. I won't be afraid to accuse of him purposely trying to poison our dog then.
  • Options
    I am late to this but I am glad your little guy is okay!!

This happened to me last year, our stupid neighbor kids threw over a full bottle of blue pool dye (I don't really know what it is) but my dang dog ate the whole bottle. It was in his water, on his tongue, and stained all over his body. The bottle said poisonous and you are only supposed to use like 1/4 bottle for the whole damn pool, so I was freaked out. I called my vet friend and she said to just watch him. I stayed up all night staring at him and he just slept like a little angel :) I was so pissed at my neighbors for a while, but I got lucky and they moved. Right now I have no neighbors and I don't want any!!

BUT after all that text- neighbors are assholes :D
  • Options
    Really glad to hear he's going to be ok. Hopefully the meds do their job :-)

I have heard of people trying to use mothballs to keep wild animals and cats away, but he should definitely not be putting them on someone elses property. Can you prove he's tossing them over? I'd get a camera or something...And definitely show him the vet bill.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I would definitely at least tell him that it poisoned your dog and that the vet bill was very expensive. Maybe you can work it out so that you move your feeders away from his shed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards