Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Help! Registry Confusion!

Hello Knot People!
 I'm getting used to all the wedding stuff and the traditions of a wedding. I was never one of those girls who planned and dreamed about this day until it happened now I am excited, happy and so lost! My mom and my sister are throwing me a bridal shower at some point (I didn't even know I got one) and I was told I must register for it because people will want to bring gifts. I have also been told it should be the same registry as for the wedding. So are people expect to but me a gift twice? It seems kinda extreme. But my Mom keeps telling me that the is how it works.
  So what are the rules for bridal shower registry vs. wedding registry? I appreciate your input! :) Thanks

Re: Help! Registry Confusion!

• Options
    You make one large registry.  People will buy gifts from it for the shower and for the wedding, though some may give you checks/cash for the wedding instead of a boxed gift.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Showers are usually about a month or 2 before the wedding, so I think most couples of made their registries by that time.  So people find a shower gift on the wedding registry.  Yes, that means people give you multiple gifts.  Or at least I've given a gift for a shower and a wedding gift as well.

Just to warn you, in some circles it is considered rude for a member of the bride's family to host her shower because gifts are expected at showers....  I wouldn't be offended, but some people might be.
  • Options
    Just make sure you register for a wide variety of gifts at different price points - people don't usually spend as much on a shower gift, so there should be less pricey items on your wish list :)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ~Michelle~
    TTC for 2 years w/ PCOS - Ectopic in April 2012 at 7 weeks; MTX x2
    Check out my blog: Married In A Zoo
    & follow me on Twitter

?wedding planning
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
    [url=http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32f861]My Ovulation Chart[/url]
  • Options
    Just 1 registry.  Some people buy you two gifts, and some people just get you a gift for one or the other.  Not everyone that goes to the wedding will be invited to the shower (unless you're having a very small wedding or a very large shower, or multiple showers for different groups of people). 

And in response to

"Just to warn you, in some circles it is considered rude for a member of the bride's family to host her shower because gifts are expected at showers....  I wouldn't be offended, but some people might be."

I've never heard of that before.  I went to three showers this past summer/fall, and all were hosted by family members.  And my sisters are going to throw my shower.  So, just in case you were worried about that, I wouldn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards