Outdoor Weddings
Options

Candle advice-outdoors

Hello everyone,
I am having an all outdoor wedding, and my caterer recommends I use LED flameless candles on the tables as he is concerned they will blow out. I REALLY don't like the look of them Has anyone had an outdoor wedding and successfully used real candles? In votives, of course, so they are somewhat protected. Thanks!!

Re: Candle advice-outdoors

• Options
    Yes, our centerpieces were candles. We used very tall hurricanes to avoid the breeze blowing the candles out. We hired a candle decor company to deal with this and they had someone there to relight them if they went out. I have no idea how often this happened, but it looked good to me. You may also consider lanterns since they are more enclosed.
  • Options
    I'm doing floating candles in long vases (3in thick, ~9-15 inch high I think) and I just asked that they leave a few inches at the top to help with that, but if its a really windy night I expect this won't keep them from going out.  If you want to be absolutely sure I go with the hurricane lanterns the PP suggested.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our wedding is under a tent, but if it's particularly blustery out, some might well get blown out. It's not something I'm super stressing about, but I would think the servers could relight them -- you might ask your coordinator.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Our wedding wasn't outdoors, but was in an historic building where there were a lot of rules about candles.

I just handled it by making vellum covers for the standard glass votive holders.........hides the fact that the light inside is LED, and was able to make them match my decor as well.

If you go to my bio below, there are instructions on how to do it, under "DIY" tab in the bio.
  • Options
    Votives are not high enough to keep the flame lit.   Unless you have someone going around relighting the candles, they won't stay lit.    I have seen some weddings using glass chimneys (like a lantern but without the metal) to ensure that candles stay lit.  If the chimneys are significantly taller than the candle, the flame will stay lit. 
  • Options
    try mason jars?
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your the feedback... I've looked around for taller than standard votive candle holders, no luck... Sigh... the trappings of planning an outdoor wedding!
  • Options
    diddsrdiddsr member
    First Comment

My wedding is going to be by the ocean. I found glass lanterns so i could have real candles on the tables!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards