Wedding Etiquette Forum

Shower invites??

Could anyone please tell me who is "supposed to" be invited to my shower?
I'm asking because my fiance has 2 best friends we dont see too much & I'm curious if their wife/GF should be invited?
Not sure if it should be only my friends & family and his family?
Thanks

Re: Shower invites??

• Anyone invited to the shower needs to be invited to the wedding, so if you aren't inviting the friends to the wedding because you don't see them much, don't invite their wives/GFs.

Beyond that, who gets invited depends on how many people the hostess can host, as Liatris says above.  Once she gives you a number, you might work out your guest list by inviting family members and close friends, and then see if there is room for anyone else once you have invited them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_shower-invites-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8bdde249-8d95-4eaa-a7a4-13ec85efb622Post:ac551c8d-6787-4b39-b60a-d6dd2bb6cfef">Re: Shower invites??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone invited to the shower needs to be invited to the wedding, so if you aren't inviting the friends to the wedding because you don't see them much, don't invite their wives/GFs. Beyond that, who gets invited depends on how many people the hostess can host, as Liatris says above.  Once she gives you a number, you might work out your guest list by inviting family members and close friends, and then see if there is room for anyone else once you have invited them.
    Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]

They will be attending the wedding, no question & the additional 2 people arent a problem. My mother & MOG are handling the family lists, I was asked for a list of friends. Wasnt sure about HIS friends signif. others?
    Thanks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_shower-invites-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8bdde249-8d95-4eaa-a7a4-13ec85efb622Post:f7604800-de91-459f-99fa-b3c706a53fa5">Re: Shower invites??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shower invites?? : They will be attending the wedding, no question & the additional 2 people arent a problem. My mother & MOG are handling the family lists, I was asked for a list of friends. <strong>Wasnt sure about HIS friends signif. others?</strong> Thanks!
    Posted by kmh001[/QUOTE]

Only if: 1) you feel close to them and 2) the hostess can accommodate them.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Just wanted to chime in.

I've been invited multiple times to bridal showers for the FIs of my husband's college friends.

We've been out of college for 8 years. Needless to say, we aren't very close to DH's college friends any longer, much less their FIs.

I always think it appears a bit gift-grabby if I'm invited but barely know the bride other than being FB friends.

Had it been a couples shower...that's a different story.
  • Thanks all!! I didnt think I should & I thought it would just seem like I wanted more stuff.
  • I just noticed your wedding is 65 days outl.  You're kind of cutting it close...have you planned a date for the shower yet?

I agree -- you do not need to invite these ladies.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_shower-invites-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8bdde249-8d95-4eaa-a7a4-13ec85efb622Post:b04b2bb8-dfe6-44bc-816f-98973880fa32">Re: Shower invites??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just noticed your wedding is 65 days outl.  You're kind of cutting it close...have you planned a date for the shower yet? I agree -- you do not need to invite these ladies.
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

Shower is set for March 10. I wasnt supposed to have anything to do with it, but I keep getting questions about different things :) so I'm trying to keep somewhat of a distance while helping a little
  • I am in the same boat as you. My fiance has some long time female friends who I know and talk to a bit but we aren't best friends. My MOH said I could invite like 50 ladies so I am going to go ahead and include them on the list I give her. It is really going to depend on how many people your host can accomodate. If you have a number already invite fam first, bridesmaids of course, close friends and then if there is room I would say his close female friends.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards