Wedding Reception Forum

Reception after party?

Since we will be out of our venue pretty early (around 8-9pm) What would be good for an after party? Has anyone done any kind of after party? We thought about renting a room out in a bar- however, the venue and guests hotel are in a pretty small town? Have people had a good turn out for after parties? 
thank you! 

Re: Reception after party?

• Our reception is at a small boutique hotel in a city. The hotel also owns a few town homes that they rent out to guests, on the same street as the hotel. We are renting out one of the townhouses for our after party. It is not going to be a huge thing, and nothing formal where we invite people in our invites. We are just going to have our closests friend and family -- basically whoever is staying over night at the hotel or those staying til the end of the recpetion. My mom is catering it herself and we will have some some beer, wine and a few bottles of liquor. Hopefully most people will be done drinking after 5 hours of open bar!
  • I don't want to sound mean, but why not put the money you would use to hosting an after party and renting out a room towards your food budget so that you can actually have a dinner reception rather then the lunch reception you have to go with due to lack of money for a more expensive meal?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-after-party-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:22c80343-d39a-4986-8f5a-82a2ebea2f65Post:a973fbde-f7c4-4dbd-8332-c99360a5199a">Re: Reception after party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't want to sound mean, but why not put the money you would use to hosting an after party and renting out a room towards your food budget so that you can actually have a dinner reception rather then the lunch reception you have to go with due to lack of money for a more expensive meal?
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>While I personally see nothing cheap or wrong in any way with having a lunch reception (actually they are quite elegant and far more traditional than dinner receptions), I have to agree to you should put your money towards your reception in some way.  Don't waste it on an after party- you are already throwing one party in a day, you don't need to throw two.  If people are having an amazing time at your wedding and want to continue the party afterwards, they will find a way to do so without you planning it.

</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• my fiances parents want the after party because they are upset that the reception is over so early especially since we have so many out of town guests. (The town that the venue is in has a quiet time) so they would be paying for it.. whatever it is...) His parents are contributing to the food but not enough...My fiance and I are paying for the rest.  Otherwise that would be a good idea<div>
    </div><div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-after-party-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:22c80343-d39a-4986-8f5a-82a2ebea2f65Post:a973fbde-f7c4-4dbd-8332-c99360a5199a">Re: Reception after party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't want to sound mean, but why not put the money you would use to hosting an after party and renting out a room towards your food budget so that you can actually have a dinner reception rather then the lunch reception you have to go with due to lack of money for a more expensive meal?
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • We're going to do a reception after-party for our wedding. We have quite a few of our friends traveling a long distance to our wedding, and our reception will be over by ~4pm, so we're going to do pizza and beer for our after party. We're going to rent a space that's traditionally used for graduation parties/bridal showers/baby showers, and we won't be doing a lot of decorating. However, one of the reasons we're having a separate after party iis because our reception will also be shorter (all in all the ceremony+reception will be from 11:30am-4pm), and we felt that this is an easier/cheaper way to still make sure everyone has a good time and to ensure that our out-of-town guests don't feel like they drove 6+ hours for nothing. I'm actually pretty excited for the less formal part of the day! I would suggest looking at where people in the town have their more informal events (like graduation parties and baby/bridal showers) and go from there. I definitely don't think your guests will expect anything as fancy as the reception!
  • I see no issue with extending the day, especially with so many people from out of town.

The last 2 afterparties I went to were at hotels. One had a function room that was rented. Alcohol was brought in from outside.

The other welcomed us into their restaurant which was closed by that time of the night. They didn't charge an extra fee as long as we used their bar.  They put out a few munchie type finger foods.

I saw photos from a wedding that had their after party at their favorite local brewery in their tasting room. That was cool.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-after-party-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:22c80343-d39a-4986-8f5a-82a2ebea2f65Post:e2f949fb-7ecb-4a5f-8701-bf8c60cde1cf">Re: Reception after party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]my fiances parents want the after party because they are upset that the reception is over so early especially since we have so many out of town guests. (The town that the venue is in has a quiet time) so they would be paying for it.. whatever it is...) His parents are contributing to the food but not enough...My fiance and I are paying for the rest.  Otherwise that would be a good idea In Response to Re: Reception after party? :
    Posted by Beetini[/QUOTE]

So are his parents paying for the entire after party since it is what they want?

• She said they would be paying for it
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-after-party-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:22c80343-d39a-4986-8f5a-82a2ebea2f65Post:0b008ad2-97fc-44e8-b9ff-18c407ac47ca">Re: Reception after party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]She said they would be paying for it
    Posted by BritniLeigh[/QUOTE]

So I am confused OP, your FIL would be fine for paying for an after party but not extending the reception by an hour?  That, in my mind, sounds ridiculous.  It would most likely be cheaper for them to pay for an extra hour instead of having to plan and pay for another party on the same day.

EDIT:  After re-reading your posts, no where did you say that your FI parents were paying for the after party only that they were paying for part of the food and that you and your FI are paying for the rest.

Since you two are paying for the rest you should really do what you want.  If you want to extend the reception by an hour instead of hosting an after party I would do that.

• edited March 2013
    This is where she says they are paying for it...

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-after-party-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:22c80343-d39a-4986-8f5a-82a2ebea2f65Post:e2f949fb-7ecb-4a5f-8701-bf8c60cde1cf">Re: Reception after party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]my fiances parents want the after party because they are upset that the reception is over so early especially since we have so many out of town guests. (The town that the venue is in has a quiet time) <u><strong>so they would be paying for it..</strong></u> whatever it is...) His parents are contributing to the food but not enough...My fiance and I are paying for the rest.  Otherwise that would be a good idea In Response to Re: Reception after party? :
    Posted by Beetini[/QUOTE]

pretty sure she means that parents contributing to the food is in response to the wedding reception food but I guess that can be clarified by her
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards