September 2013 Weddings
Options

Engagement parties??

Are any of you ladies having your engagement party at your house??  If so, are you decorating your house or just laying out food??  Also are you supposed to play games at these things?? 

I'm doing a bbq next Saturday and we're having a lot of people over.  The party is getting catered and they'll be a full bar, swimming, and karaoke.  (Hahaa, yup!)  My fam and friends are super loud and crazy so I'm sure it'll be fun!  I can't wait.  Let the festivities begin!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Engagement parties??

• Options
    Are you hosting? Most of the other boards would bash you over the head for that, but since we're a nice board (!), I'll just say that it would be best to keep it casual if you are. It sounds like it's going to be a pretty casual event anyway, more like a get-together and celebrate sort of deal, so I think you're on the right track. I know with my loud and crazy family, food and booze is all they need to have a good time! I wouldn't worry about games or decorations too much. Maybe have some lawn games set up so people can play if they want. Sounds like fun! Enjoy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know most other boards would bash - and I definately won't
    My thinking on engagement parties - at least my family's thinking - is they are a way for the families to meet and celebrate the engagement - but mostly to meet so you know who is who before the wedding related craziness starts -- some involve gifts but not all - AND they can be as casual or as dressed up as you would like them to be
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would love to have an engagement party but our home is too small to host a big amount of people and I don't think anyone would try to host one for us.  Thankfully our famiiles have met on a few different occasions so it's no big deal. 
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My mom is hosting and I'm not paying for a thing but I did plan the menu.  After all I not only love food but I have a culinary degree so it's kinda my thing. :D 

Yeah I agree with all of you.  There's gonna be lots of booze and food so really that's all I need.  And we've only invited really close friends and fam so it'll be a good time!  Thanks all!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We kinda had one in that our friends were taking me to dinner when FI surprised me with popping the question and it was all set up with our friends beforehand.  Then our families went out to dinner together a few months later when FI graduated and got to meet for the first time.  Very casual, but my grandma got us a gift.  She's very traditional.
  • Options
    We are having one in 3 weeks at my parents house. My dad is BBQ'in and my mom, sister and FMIL are making the rest of the food. We invited close family and who we intend on asking to be in the wedding, which we are going to do at the party. We have around 40 people invited and there is just going to be yard games set up, and drinks and just hang out and have a good time. Nothing to fancy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_engagement-parties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:4c714d2d-9204-4e1a-8d9f-384371344d8fPost:0655a6c2-d42a-481e-89eb-4160e376d119">Engagement parties??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are any of you ladies having your engagement party at your house??  If so, are you decorating your house or just laying out food??  Also are you supposed to play games at these things??  I'm doing a bbq next Saturday and we're having a lot of people over.  The party is getting catered and they'll be a full bar, swimming, and karaoke.  (Hahaa, yup!)  My fam and friends are super loud and crazy so I'm sure it'll be fun!  I can't wait.  Let the festivities begin!
    Posted by Mtess1[/QUOTE]

my future sister in law threw the party at a winery. Friends and family brought appetizers and they were laid out to munch on
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We aren't having an e-party but I find nothing wrong with having one at your house. It sounds like fun. 
    The Future Mrs. Burleson Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd like for us to have one with our friends - I just feel like we have so much going on with planning, adopting a baby, selling the house, that we need to stop and enjoy being engaged. Just have some friends over to share our joy (no gifts or anything) just some apps and drinks.
    Daring to dream a bigger dream
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards