Interracial Weddings

Poll !

Just some fun questions

What are you and FI's nationalities?

Wedding Date?

Are you having any cultural wedding traditions on you big day?

Do you live together? If so have your cultural/ religious differences caused any conflicts?

Favorite E-pic or picture of you and your FI

Once in awhile,right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket

Re: Poll !

• edited January 2012
    I am African American and FI is 100% Irish

Our wedding date id July 27th, 2012

To follow Irish tradition we are getting married on a Friday because Saturday is considered unlucky,the first to wish me luck will be a man from his family because it is also unlucky for a women to wish me luck first,and its not really an Irish tradition but we will be remebering FI's great grandmother by taking shots of her favorite Scotch through the night, I'm kind of scared for them already lol because im not a big drinker.

We live together and I am Non-Denominational and FI is Catholic. We have  disagreed on which religion our future childrenwill believe in so we have chosen to honor both religions and let our children decide when they are older.

Once in awhile,right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Just some fun questions

I'm black; FI is white (a bit of everything, mostly Irish)

Wedding Date?
    June 9, 2012

Nope, don't have any.

Do you live together? If so have your cultural/ religious differences caused any conflicts?
    We live together.  Our differences stem from the fact that I am Caribbean and he grew up in a more rural area, so we had COMPLETELY different childhoods and experiences, but surprisingly, we have a lot in common at the core of who we are and what we stand for (both of us being addicted to the NBA doesn't hurt either).

I acutally hate pics of myself; I don't even allow FI to post any pics of me on his Facebook!  I'll suck it up for wedding photos, and maybe I can pysch myself into posting one after we are husband and wife :)
  • melntaittmelntaitt member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Me and FI's Nationalities:
    I'm Barbadian (born and raised) and he's American (Irish/Italian descent)

Wedding Date:
    June 8, 2012

Cultural Wedding Traditions:
    I'm wearing a green dress for the reahearsal dinner as a part of both the Irish and Italian traditions.
    We're having traditional Bajan rum punch as a signature drink.
    We're both Catholic (not currently practicing) and our minister will be incorporating a mass into the ceremony.

Do We Live Together:
    Yes; however, our families have chosen to look the other way and do not separate us when we spend the night at their homes. They've been very understanding when it came to our choice to live together prior to marriage. Catholic mommies don't like that.

We were lost in a corn maze but we didn't care; it was a pretty day and it was worth it!
    Vacation White Knot
  • Okay, I'll play!

What are you and FI's nationalities? Fi is African-American, I'm half Czech, and then a crazy mishmash of Irish, Scottish, English and German (I'm a mutt!)

Wedding Date? March 2013

Are you having any cultural wedding traditions on you big day? Likely none from mine, but he wants to jump the broom so we'll be doing that. I'm a bit nervous I'll trip or look stupid when I jump or something since I'm a bit of a dork that way!

Do you live together? If so have your cultural/ religious differences caused any conflicts? He lives here half the time since he works an hour away and his lease isn't up yet so he stays there 3-4 nights a week. Our religious beliefs are pretty much identical, so no problems there, and the cultural stuff we run into is more beacuse I grew up small-town rural (200 people in my hometown) and he grew up in Chicago. It's mostly just him getting a kick out of me being a hick, but that's okay because I am, and I do prefer larger cities, so I make fun of it too.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • What are you and FI's nationalities?
    I'm black and he's white (mainly german descent)

Wedding Date?
    June 9, 2012 (Little Lucky Penn we're WD twins!)

We will be jumping the broom and I may look up some German traditions to incorporate.

Nope.  We're both non denominational (he was catholic).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    I'm white and he's black

Wedding Date?
    June 2, 2012

We are doing God's Knot. We thought about jumping the broom but that is still up in the air.

Do you live together? Yes

If so have your cultural/ religious differences caused any conflicts? Not really. The fact that I am a neat freak and he is a bit messy causes more issues that our cultural/religious difference. :P
  • Oooops, here's our pic:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    I'm American and he's Indian. If you're giong for ethnicities, I'm Irish-Polish-Danish-Scottish-English-French-Spanish and he's English-Portegeuse-Irish-German-Jewish-and possibly actually ethnically Indian. Which is crazy because he looks ethnically Indian. He's what they call "Anglo-Indian" and basically that means that all the European ex-pats intermarried. But his family has lived in India for generations.

Wedding Date?

Still undetermined because of several reasons (not least of which visas) but it should be this summer or fall.

Well in many ways the Western wedding style is the big cultural thing, since most of our guests will be Indian. But of the India specific things, one we've discussed is apparently we are seated and all our guests come up, give us a gift, then take their picture with us. Sort of like a receiving line, but with gifts and it sounds like it takes a lot longer. I hate the way I look sitting down, so I'm going to talk with my FMIL and see if we could do this standing up instead. I'm not skinny, so my gut which smooths out when I'm standing is folded up on itself and sticks out when I sit down. Since the main point of this tradition is to have everyone get a picture with the couple, I would much rather do it standing. I would hate to have every guest possessing a picture of me at my worst!

No. Because of our Christian beliefs, we don't and will not be living together before marriage.
    As far as our cultural/religious differences causing conflicts: yes.  But not huge insurmountable ones.  Culturally, so far it's not been too much, but most of that is in our future. It'll just all be an adjustment for me (I'm moving to India).
    Religiously, we've had a few theological disagreements, and we don't have the same church backgrounds. But for both of us Christ is the most important thing in life, so we're working them out as they come up.

We don't have engagement pictures yet. We're planning on doing them when I go to visit India. Technically, we're not engaged, in that he wants to do the actual proposal in person not long distance. But we are 100% getting married and I am preparing for the move to India daily. 
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:d9722b46-b2ef-47c3-b264-1a8d40b0f36aPost:e6df5717-801d-4beb-aeea-4153cce46ceb">Re: Poll !</a>:
    [QUOTE] the cultural stuff we run into is more beacuse I grew up small-town rural (200 people in my hometown) and he grew up in Chicago. It's mostly just him getting a kick out of me being a hick, but that's okay because I am, and I do prefer larger cities, so I make fun of it too.
    Posted by coopsbaby[/QUOTE]

Yes, this too! I'm living in a rural area, and he's never, ever lived in even a small town. (I've never, ever lived in a huge urban area).  I'll be moving to his city of 2 million, in a larger metropolitan area of 18 million! I'm quite intimidated by this. I like visiting cities, but I'm not sure if I will like living in them.

And I know I will miss green.  One summer I went and stayed in my aunt's apartment complex for two weeks where it was pretty much pavement and mulched boxwoods and I about lost my mind. That's the longest I've ever been without nature. I was born in a trailer park that bordered the bay (you could walk to the water), then lived in a house with around on acre lot that had a dock onto a river, and then moved to the current location with 3 acres, including over an acre of woods with a creek in it. And in college I had 80 acres of campus, most of which was lawns and gardens, and there were other places to walk all around...

Ryan says there are no real parks where he lives... basically they're just dirt and grass (no trees, gardens, etc) and they're not too safe.

I may lose my mind.

So it's a requirement we have a balcony and I will have a container garden! :)
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I wanna play too!

I'm half Cuban and half a mix of Czech, Irish, German & English. There's a dash of Native American in there too.
    My FI was born in France and raised in Martinique

Wedding Date?
    4-21-12

Not really. We don't believe in any of the superstious traditions. We are playing some Spanish and French music, but that's it.

We do not live together. This is due to our faith. We are both of the same religion, but VERY different cultural upbringing. This has caused some conflict, both related & unrelated to the wedding. The language barrier is also difficult because English is not my FI's first language. Also, he was never much of a student and is content with a more leesurely lifestyle. I'm the go-getter. I excelled in school, went for the higher degrees, went for the bigger job, started my own business and am CONSTANTLY busy. That kind of drives him nuts. He prefers more downtime. I view it as a waste. That will be interesteing to mesh.

In my siggy!
    We're both American. I am Puerto Rican and Chinese with a bit of Native American and he is German and Italian

Wedding Date?
    August 8, 2012

Not really, although one of our colors is red because it's a lucky color!

We do live together and it hasn't been too much of a surprise to anyone. We were long distance for about 2 1/2 years so it was nice when we finally got to be in the same city!

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards