40-Plus Brides

Striking a balance

Hi y'all,
I will be 42 when I finally get married in April 2014. (I'm turning 41 next month.) I'm also a first-time bride. My question is, how do you strike a balance between not looking like an older woman trying to look younger, and looking too old? This is more from a dress perspective--I feel like I'm at that weird in-between age where I'm too old to be considered young, but too young to be considered old.

I'm not traditional in the least--I'm probably not going to be wearing a white dress. We're having a destination beach wedding, so I'm eyeing blue dresses. I don't want to look like I'm my mom's age (mid-60s), and a lot of dresses I've been looking at seem to be MOB dresses. Or prom dresses (which falls into the "too young" category)...not quite right either.

How does one get it "right"? I want that flirty "I'm a bride!" vibe without looking like I'm in a dress that's too young for me.

Re: Striking a balance

• I'm 51, when I married the first time it was quck, no wedding. So I'm having my first wedding.

The lace dresses didn't work for me, they were either too young or too old. I went for a chiffon roman style I found on a clearance rack, it is a maggie sottero dress.

The only thing I could say that worked for me was to try on all the styles until I found a style, then try on that style in different types of fabric and design.

I wound up at a vintage store finding my dress there. I did try second hand stores with the idea of finding a seamstress to alter and change the dress where needed.

Blue sounds like a great idea for your wedding. Good Luck
  • Wear what makes you feel beautiful!

I am a first time bride at 42.  I tried on all the different shaped dresses to see what would look good on me.  Some of them were laughable on me because they made me feel like I was trying to hard.  I don't think that there is any one "style" that will work best for your age becuase it really depends on your body shape and what you are looking for,

By recommendation is to just try on a bunch of different dresses.  You'll find out what looks good on your body and what you feel good in.  I don't know that there is one dress that is "young" in looks.  

Enjoy your planning - I certainly have!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was 56 when I got married last August. It was my first marriage.

If you are a "young" 40-ish, then you can wear anything and not look foolish unless it makes you feel that way. Forget weddings, think about the red carpet at the Oscars, or other dressy occasions when celebs wear gowns. While many of them have probably had some serious surgery to look really young, they can still wear lovely dresses in their 40's or even 50's. Some wear stapless, some wear halters (which I find to be flattering regardless of age), some wear a one shoulder dress.

The entire time I was planning on what to wear before the wedding my upper arms gave me pause........a bit jiggly, LOL. So I made myself a lace bolero since I couldn't find one I loved. (It's not in the picture below).

Some stores cater to the middle aged market more than younger markets, like Lord and Taylor, Macy's, Saks, Nordstrom. Their special event dresses tend to be made with the middle aged, yet stylish woman in mind.

Wear something that makes you feel fabulous.
  • In Response to Re: Striking a balance:
    [QUOTE}. Forget weddings, think about the red carpet at the Oscars, or other dressy occasions when celebs wear gowns. ... Wear something that makes you feel fabulous.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

Best advice, ever!
  • I just got married this past weekend and wore a long white gown from David's. I'd planned on shorter and fun, but my FI practically cried thinking that I wouldn't be wearing a long gown, so I looked for long gowns. The first time I tried stuff on at David's, I thought I wanted lightweight and flowy, but they all had so much fabric they just overwhelmed me. I went back a few weeks later (after showing my FI the photos from the first session to ask him what I was missing, and why those dresses didn't work), and had the consultant pull dresses for me. We started with lace, which were a lot thinner, and ended up with charmeuse. I could have taken that information back and shopped more online, but I went with the dress there, and I loved it. I highly recommend going someplace like David's and talking to the consultant and trying on a bunch of dresses to see what you like. Some of the bridesmaids styles come in lots of fun colors, or you might even find that you do end up with white. I looked like a pretty traditional bride on Saturday, but I felt like a million dollars. (I just turned 41.) go with whatever makes you feel good!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_striking-a-balance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:2ff9abaa-3318-46aa-8fd2-977492692f63Post:415c3a32-6b89-42c3-b645-f654bc8192bd">Striking a balance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi y'all, I will be 42 when I finally get married in April 2014. (I'm turning 41 next month.) I'm also a first-time bride. My question is, how do you strike a balance between not looking like an older woman trying to look younger, and looking too old? This is more from a dress perspective--I feel like I'm at that weird in-between age where I'm too old to be considered young, but too young to be considered old. I'm not traditional in the least--I'm probably not going to be wearing a white dress. We're having a destination beach wedding, so I'm eyeing blue dresses. I don't want to look like I'm my mom's age (mid-60s), and a lot of dresses I've been looking at seem to be MOB dresses. Or prom dresses (which falls into the "too young" category)...not quite right either. How does one get it "right"? I want that flirty "I'm a bride!" vibe without looking like I'm in a dress that's too young for me.
    Posted by depotmode[/QUOTE]<div>The Garter Brides (we are a sisterhood of women who married later in life) all agree on one thing - you should wear whatever you feel great and beautiful in!!  You can't go wrong that way.  In our book LOVE FOR GROWN-UPS: The Garter Brides' Guide to Marrying For Life When You've ALready Got a Life we devote an entire chapter on having the wedding you want - congratulations!</div><div>

</div>
  • In Response to Re: Striking a balance:

I don't know what your specific taste is, but Victorian Trading Co. has the most exquisite blue gown I've ever laid eyes on.  If you go to their web site and search for "etoile et ciel" the dress will come up. Comes in plus sizes too.  And they have a lot of other beautiful clothing as well.  Just wanted to mention etoile et ciel - definitely NOT mother of the bride looking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards