Wedding Party
Options

oh what to do...

my original hopes for my wedding was to have no wedding party what-so-ever. however, my fiance informed me that he must have his best friend up there with him, which i completely respect. so i said we could do just a best man and MOH. 

our wedding is very small- about 30 people- so i definitely don't want more than 1 person up there. i've got 3 gf's.. i've known one for 15 years, one for 6 years, and the other for 2 or 3 years. The 15 year friend automatically said i better be your MOH or ELSE! well, pretty much along those lines. anyways, i just went along with it.. since i knew she would be the only one actually offended if she wasn't included, whereas the others are much more mature and understanding.

and now to my dilemma. i've been engaged since september 09, and my wedding is this october. my MOH hasn't shown any interest in my wedding, so i start to wonder why she made such a stink about the MOH position. she hasn't asked about my dress, plans, nothing. she's even questioned why we are getting married "so soon". furthermore, she's a huge lagger and has no style, so i started to look at dresses and sent her links to see what she likes. she didn't respond to the emails at all. i saw her a week later and asked if she's seen anything she likes and she just said "i'll wear anything you want me to" even though that's a load of crap. at the beginning when she "claimed" MOH, she said i better not make her wear something ugly, etc. i wouldn't do that anyways, i want her to look and feel good.

the 3 year friend has been there every step of the way. she went dress shopping with me, gave her opinion about the save the dates and invites i designed, she is supportive, etc. (the 6 year friend lives in vegas so is not around to do any of these things) my fiance also likes this friend, whereas he strongly dislikes MOH, for reasons that are completely understandable. the only thing my MOH has brought up or been remotely pumped about is a bach party. she wants to do all this wild stuff, whereas i'd rather not.. so that will just be another battle. 

i feel that my MOH has a sense of entitlement.. and it's my fault for letting her get away with it but i always hate hurting someone's feelings. i've been thinking and it seems like it makes the most sense to have my MOH as the girl who gets along with my fiance, who supports our relationship, who is happy for us, who wants to be involved, etc. however, my other friend "claimed" the spot.. so that would cause problems. that's just how she is- a self-centered, competitive, entitled, spoiled brat. haha so you might wonder how i am friends with someone when i feel all these things about her... and you're right. it's becoming more and more of a question to myself why i am still friends with her. we've grown apart in many ways- for example, she's still immature and stuck on partying and doing drugs.. whereas i've been clean 5 years and have moved on with my life. she is completely unsupportive of everything- my fiance quit smoking and she always offers him cigarettes cause she thinks it's funny.. but it's really not, and i've told her this. the list goes on and on for the cons of our relationship.. and it's hard to come up with positive things anymore.

i know this is probably something i have to decide on my own but some opinions would be nice. is it possible to switch MOH? would it be tacky to simply have no MOH, even though there is a best man? do i suck it up and keep her as MOH? do i walk away from her completely? do i just keep a casual friendship? if so, then it wouldn't make sense for her to be in the wedding. or even at it?? although i realize she's probably not someone who's bringing anything positive to my life.. it's hard to walk away from someone after that long. gosh, it feels like i'm considering divorce haha

Re: oh what to do...

• Options

Your post was long so I just cut to the end (so may have missed details).  If you're willing to lose a friend, then OK - yes, you can 'switch' MOHs.  But, it's inconsiderate to both your 'old' MOH and your 'new' MOH. 

• Options
    This is a case of having made your bed and now having to lie in it. Dealing with a friend who's not THUPER DUPER excited about your wedding is a lot more fun than dealing with a former friend who you kicked out of your wedding plus any mutual friends who think you're in the wrong.
  • Options
    Also, consider creating a new account that doesn't have your e-mail (or full name) in it. These boards are public, and people can use info like that to cyber stalk you...I actually just found your myspace from your e-mail address.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_oh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:6d8c3f5e-a80c-4b13-a3e7-d94d0fc64cf7Post:82938952-5134-4251-a5f6-bb0e460db712">oh what to do...</a>:
    [QUOTE]my original hopes for my wedding was to have no wedding party what-so-ever. however, my fiance informed me that he must have his best friend up there with him, which i completely respect. so i said we could do just a best man and MOH.  our wedding is very small- about 30 people- so i definitely don't want more than 1 person up there. i've got 3 gf's.. i've known one for 15 years, one for 6 years, and the other for 2 or 3 years. The 15 year friend automatically said i better be your MOH or ELSE! well, pretty much along those lines. anyways, i just went along with it.. since i knew she would be the only one actually offended if she wasn't included, whereas the others are much more mature and understanding. and now to my dilemma. i've been engaged since september 09, and my wedding is this october. my MOH hasn't shown any interest in my wedding, so i start to wonder why she made such a stink about the MOH position. she hasn't asked about my dress, plans, nothing. she's even questioned why we are getting married "so soon". furthermore, she's a huge lagger and has no style, so i started to look at dresses and sent her links to see what she likes. she didn't respond to the emails at all. i saw her a week later and asked if she's seen anything she likes and she just said "i'll wear anything you want me to" even though that's a load of crap. at the beginning when she "claimed" MOH, she said i better not make her wear something ugly, etc. i wouldn't do that anyways, i want her to look and feel good. the 3 year friend has been there every step of the way. she went dress shopping with me, gave her opinion about the save the dates and invites i designed, she is supportive, etc. (the 6 year friend lives in vegas so is not around to do any of these things) my fiance also likes this friend, whereas he strongly dislikes MOH, for reasons that are completely understandable. the only thing my MOH has brought up or been remotely pumped about is a bach party. she wants to do all this wild stuff, whereas i'd rather not.. so that will just be another battle.  i feel that my MOH has a sense of entitlement.. and it's my fault for letting her get away with it but i always hate hurting someone's feelings. i've been thinking and it seems like it makes the most sense to have my MOH as the girl who gets along with my fiance, who supports our relationship, who is happy for us, who wants to be involved, etc. however, my other friend "claimed" the spot.. so that would cause problems. that's just how she is- a self-centered, competitive, entitled, spoiled brat. haha so you might wonder how i am friends with someone when i feel all these things about her... and you're right. it's becoming more and more of a question to myself why i am still friends with her. we've grown apart in many ways- for example, she's still immature and stuck on partying and doing drugs.. whereas i've been clean 5 years and have moved on with my life. she is completely unsupportive of everything- my fiance quit smoking and she always offers him cigarettes cause she thinks it's funny.. but it's really not, and i've told her this. the list goes on and on for the cons of our relationship.. and it's hard to come up with positive things anymore. i know this is probably something i have to decide on my own but some opinions would be nice. is it possible to switch MOH? would it be tacky to simply have no MOH, even though there is a best man? do i suck it up and keep her as MOH? do i walk away from her completely? do i just keep a casual friendship? if so, then it wouldn't make sense for her to be in the wedding. or even at it?? although i realize she's probably not someone who's bringing anything positive to my life.. it's hard to walk away from someone after that long. gosh, it feels like i'm considering divorce haha
    Posted by laurenwiesner1@yahoo.com[/QUOTE]

<div>Cliff notes: her friend of 15 years claimed the MOH spot and OP is only having MOH. Different friend that she hasn't known as long is being very helpful and "supportive." MOH is not. OP is now questioning why she is even friends with MOH anymore because they have grown apart. She now wants to know if she should boot the MOH and "promote" the other friend, or if she should keep things as is, or what she should do.</div>
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    yeah, i noticed that but i saw that it couldn't be changed. hadn't considered a new account.. probably a good idea.

anyways.. i understand someone not being "THUPER DUPER" excited.. but i thought the point of the whole thing was to have your best friend share in the experience and such. and a "best friend" would be happy and excited, wouldn't they? i guess i just needed to put it out there, as i can't exactly talk to my gf's about it. oh, and not worried about mutual friends or anything.. don't really have any, as none of my friends exactly care for her.

maybe i was looking for advice from those who have broken up with a BFF? not too sure what my intentions were. something.. anything..
  • Options
    is it possible to switch MOH?

If you ask the new girl to be MOH, and demote the original one to bridesmaid or boot her all together, then that's pretty much the end of the friendship. It's a REALLY public slap in the face to someone to do this. Even if you're O.K. with ending the friendship with the 15 year friend, others might not look upon you so kindly, keep in mind.

I also don't see why you would have to name the 3 year friend as a new MOH. If she's being nice and helping you out, thank her with a nice note or a small gift or treat her to dinner one night. You don't need to bestow a meaningless one-day title on her to show your appreciation, and naming her as the new MOH will just cause more trouble than it's worth. Plus I imagine that your 3 year friend would feel quite awkward if you booted the 15 year friend and used her as a replacement.

would it be tacky to simply have no MOH, even though there is a best man?

Nope. If you want to end the friendship with the 15 year friend and then have no MOH, that's fine.

do i suck it up and keep her as MOH?

If you want to stay on good terms with her, yes.

do i walk away from her completely?

If you decide to end the friendship, be sure it's not primarily because of your wedding. There is a BIG, HUGE difference between someone supporting your marriage and someone being interested in your plans for a one-day party. Make sure you're not confusing the two. 

But if you considered someone a good friend prior to your engagement, and then suddenly she's not a great friend and she's coincidentally not interested enough in your wedding, then my assumption would be that you ARE confusing the two, because people don't just change overnight. If you didn't consider it a friendship-ending move before your engagement that she still does drugs, then why is suddenly a huge deal now that you're planning a wedding?

And if the drugs and cigarette offers were TRULY the root of the problem here, then you wouldn't have mentioned the lack of interest in your wedding at all (nevermind as the first "problem"). It looks to me like you're trying to find reasons to justify why you are considering kicking this girl out of your wedding.

do i just keep a casual friendship? if so, then it wouldn't make sense for her to be in the wedding. or even at it??

Either end the friendship, or suck it up and say nothing. There's no middle ground here. There's no way to successfully say to someone, "I don't want you as my MOH anymore because you are not showing enough interest in my wedding, but you are welcome to attend as a guest." You can't have your cake and eat it too.

My opinion ... suck it up, keep her as MOH, don't ask any more attendants (give some kind of gift or at least a note to people who've been especially helpful), and see where the friendship goes after the wedding.
  • Options
    this has been an ongoing thing, not just because of the wedding. and i mention the drug aspect because now she's dating a new guy who's really into it, so she's getting into different things all over again.

i'd love to keep her in the wedding.. but what i want first is my best friend back. if we can't hold our relationship together, then there is no point in the wedding aspect. getting married and deciding to start a family bring about serious thoughts on where your life is headed and who will be there with you. i just no longer see her there.

the only reason for the "new" MOH thought was because of the best man.. but i guess it doesn't hurt to have just him up there.
  • Options
    To answer your question:

You should keep the friend as MOH. You asked her, now you need to stick to your decision. If you were to kick her out, it would make you look bad (the bride always comes out as the one in the wrong). All a bridesmaid (or MOH) has to do is show up on the day in the dress. Don't expect anything else from her and you won't be disappointed. If you want the friendship to end, I would keep her as MOH and let the friendship fizzle out after the wedding.

If you would like your other friend to stand up for you, go ahead and ask her to stand up for you as well. It will be fine to have 2 people standing up while your FI only has one. The sides don't need to be even, and it doesn't matter that the wedding is small. You should ask those closest to you that you want standing next to you on your wedding day.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_oh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:6d8c3f5e-a80c-4b13-a3e7-d94d0fc64cf7Post:f0d82a94-1484-4612-99eb-746b6c7f50df">Re: oh what to do...</a>:
    [QUOTE]i understand someone not being "THUPER DUPER" excited.. but i thought the point of the whole thing was to have your best friend share in the experience and such. and a "best friend" would be happy and excited, wouldn't they?
    Posted by laurenwiesner1@yahoo.com[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, my response was kind of snotty...the giant wall of text made me cranky.

If your best friend is the type to be happy and excited about her friends' engagements then yes, that's what she'd do as your BM. But if she's not - or if her version of happy isn't the same as yours and doesn't involve looking at BM stuff - then that's not going to change just because she has a title. Focus on the people who ARE giving you the reaction you want rather than letting this one person bring you down too much just because she talked you into calling her MOH.
  • Options
    You choose her as your MOH.  Regardless of her "claiming" of the position you went along with it.  So, the fact that she is your MOH is no you, not her.  If you hope to maintain any sort of friendship with her in the future kicking her out would not be a good move.

With that being said, she is not required to be excited about your wedding at all.  My MOH wasn't involved in anything and she is still my best friend.  She just isn't into weddings and even though she was excited for me dress shopping, invites, etc just aren't her thing.  This didn't make her any less worthy of the MOH position.  Her job is not to be there for your wedding needs every step of the way.  If your friend never showed any interest in weddings before I'm not sure why you expect her to change for your wedding.

Now, if you no longer want to be friends with her then go ahead and ask her to step down.  Understand, however, that this is insulting to her, your new MOH, and will probably make you look like a jerk to outsiders.

The destructive behavior may be something that is friendship ending on its own.  But, if that is case, make the choice for the right reasons and leave your wedding out of it.
  • Options
    i think this is the best advice so far: "If you want the friendship to end, I would keep her as MOH and let the friendship fizzle out after the wedding."

that may be my best option. BUT what i am trying to get across is that it is not just the wedding itself causing this. i have always known she's not the shopping type etc, which is why i was looking for dresses for her. i understand she may not be excited about the wedding itself, but supporting me getting married and my relationship IS important. i don't need anyone to be there for my wedding needs- i have done every single plan on my own, just as i wanted. i just don't understand why she wanted to be MOH if she doesn't give 2 shits about me getting married and has snotty, negative things to say about it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_oh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:6d8c3f5e-a80c-4b13-a3e7-d94d0fc64cf7Post:e5252cc7-a10a-4ce4-903b-d13ba6f9affc">Re: oh what to do...</a>:
    [QUOTE]You keep repeating that the problem is not wedding specific, so don't try to make the solution wedding specific either.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]
    I think that Stage says it perfectly here.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards