Not Engaged Yet
Options

What to do while waiting

So my boyfriend just got put on bonus at work and so his checks are going up. He told me once he gets put on bonus I will get my ring quicker. We have talked and we want to get married in June... what do you guys do in this state that i'm in... I want to start planning since it's in a year but don't want to be the bride who has her whole wedding planned before she is engaged

Re: What to do while waiting

• Options
    Wait until he proposes.  What if something happens and he can't get the ring soon after all?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Don't plan the wedding until you are engaged, also try not to hold yourself to getting married to a particular time without being engaged yet.  Who knows how soon he will get the ring and propose. Meanwhile try to find new hobbies or keep up with old ones.

Meanwhile stick around tell us more about yourself!

ETA- I feel like my grammar and sentence structure is awful here, sorry.  Not sure how to fix it, may be I need to relax on the grammar thing for 5 minutes.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-to-do-while-waiting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fd0eb96-ccca-4f50-a1dc-b096ff733765Post:37ee5a95-5258-4ec8-9e12-af5bb7bd6fea">What to do while waiting</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my boyfriend just got put on bonus at work and so his checks are going up. He told me once he gets put on bonus I will get my ring quicker. We have talked and we want to get married in June... what do you guys do in this state that i'm in... I want to start planning since it's in a year but don't want to be the bride who has her whole wedding planned before she is engaged
    Posted by Tigersbballgal[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Just be patient.  My BF is currently paying off my e-ring and it is killing me too. But, what can you do but wait?  Don't count your chickens until they're hatched. 

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-to-do-while-waiting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fd0eb96-ccca-4f50-a1dc-b096ff733765Post:88a70cdb-3460-425c-9675-92eba9ae807f">Re: What to do while waiting</a>:
    [QUOTE]I took up cooking and making wedding stuffs for friends while I was waiting.  By the time my wedding came around, I was super good at making hair flowers and jewelry.  And my married before me friends got a decent deal out of it I think.  It turned into a full time gig and I had an ecletic art studio at a hip location.  Now I work from home and do lots of art stuff for pay. Do you like cupcakes?  You could make a blog where you do cupcakes.  I'd read that.
    Posted by hellotarra[/QUOTE]
    You gave me inspiration for a new career path I travel the world eating cupcakes and I blog about it... :-)

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-to-do-while-waiting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fd0eb96-ccca-4f50-a1dc-b096ff733765Post:a343dbfc-da57-4d1c-9c92-b0a182c548b3">Re: What to do while waiting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do while waiting : I would be into that.  :)  You could start by visiting all the NEY regs and we could each take you to a gourmet cupcake place and an activity to burn it off so you can stay fit.  Not that I'm fit. EDIT:  Artsy person, life coach, commercial idea person, I wear lots of hats.
    Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anniversary

• Options
    I pretty much agree with everything PPs have said, there is no reason to start planning now - you don't really need a year to plan. I'm just less than a year out and I've pretty much only booked the venue and settled on colors. I don't feel under pressure or like I need to rush to get these things planned, perhaps come the first of 2013 I'll start feeling some, but my wedding still feels way off (because it is!).

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_overwhelmed-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:88711876-7ec9-419a-9e69-7d69d930f0e9Post:ce045a31-0c40-42db-8fbf-740b52f651e4">Overwhelmed</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I'm not engaged yet but we're starting to plan the wedding. The knot has kind of overwhelmed me and I also have no clue with where to start. It seems that I can't get past picking my colors or the flowers... any suggestions to not be so overwhelmed?
    Posted by Tigersbballgal[/QUOTE]

I would also suggest to wait to start planning. That means no starting a budget or picking colors or flowers or guest list or anything.  If you aren't engaged yet you don't need to worry about these things. You could be overwhelmed because you don't really have a base to get started from. Just wait until he proposes - don't even think about possible dates yet. Once he proposes then you can get the ball rolling and will have a more concrete idea of the other details of the wedding. So until then, just wait. :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Don't plan your wedding until you are engaged.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-to-do-while-waiting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fd0eb96-ccca-4f50-a1dc-b096ff733765Post:a343dbfc-da57-4d1c-9c92-b0a182c548b3">Re: What to do while waiting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do while waiting : I would be into that.  :)  You could start by visiting all the NEY regs and we could each take you to a gourmet cupcake place and an activity to burn it off so you can stay fit.  Not that I'm fit. EDIT:  Artsy person, life coach, commercial idea person, I wear lots of hats.

I think this is the most fabulous idea ever.  I love me some cupcakes.   This lady will travel for cupcakes.  Or frozen yogurt.  
    photo bridalparty.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

<div>LOVE this. I'm not really sure of many cupcake places in AZ. The only cupcake place I know of is in the mall. Anyways, I wish I could eat cupcakes. :(</div>
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • Options

I'd be down for this! I've got three cupcake shops that come to mind right away! For the fit part we could just take a hike in the rocky mtns. :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    OP, don't preplan. It could ruin your relationship. How it does this is because preplaning makes you crazy and want the ring more which in turn puts extra, un-needed, stress on your relationship and could start some pretty nasty fights or worse.

Just don't preplan. Daydreaming is okay and all but booking vendors and what not equals crazy.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If he has to save for the ring, how are you going to pay for a wedding right away? You might have to wait until you have some money saved to pay for the wedding before you start planning, even once you are engaged. Never assume that anyone else will foot the bill for your wedding, so plan one that you and your SO can afford w/o outside help. And believe me, there is a HUGE difference between pinning thing on a "maybe one day" board and actually planning a wedding that you're shelling out cold hard cash for, even with family help. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards