Christian Weddings

Welll....there goes all THAT planning...

Ladies, I could use a little prayer, I am having to basically start over my planning because for financial reasons, we had to move the wedding back 6 months and everything was incredibly summer-y and now my wedding is in the dead of winter. Luckily we only lost a little on a couple of deposits but over all nothing other than a lot  of my plans. So now I am off to figure out how to make the few things I had planned work and to figure out new...pretty much everything else. Anyone else have this happen? And anyone have any cute ideas for winter wedding stuff?
My baby Buster. FI is jealous cause I love him more.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic >

Re: Welll....there goes all THAT planning...

• edited December 2011
    What about a "winter vacation" kind of theme, and keep your summery stuff?   Kind of a trip to a warmer time?  I personally don't buy the "colors with seasons" stuff... but if you are concerned about it looking too summery, you could emphasize your darkest color a little more.  Have your BM's ordered their dresses yet?  If so, is there a possibility of calling to get the color changed if you need to?  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    The problem with my stuff being summer-y is that it was sunflowers, bright colored daisies, short dress (on me and my BM) and I don't think it will be in season, which makes it out of my budget. My colors were royal blue and yellow. I'm DIY a lot of things and had always had a more casual idea, but my idea of casual also is more, picnic (but with class!), which doesn't seem to fit in winter. Would you raise your eyebrows at someone who had a wedding that didn't really fit the season?
  • edited December 2011
    AH, I see what you mean.  Didn't know you had a short dress.  I might wonder for a second about the short dress, but I think weddings in modern society are starting to be accepted more as "this is the bride's taste."  If it makes you uncomfortable... is there a way you can keep the dress you've already paid for, and add a bottom to the dress, like a second skirt underneath?  I've seen that style on MANY dresses during my browsing and it looks pretty amazing.  Plus, you could take off the 2nd skirt for your reception if you want to.

The flowers question... Hmm.  Well, I'm saving major $$ on flowers by doing the 17-piece white roses floral package from SamsClub.com.  It's only $300 and that comes in WAY under most of the florists in my area.  Roses are pretty classic, if you are up for a change.  It might be pretty expensive to get sunflowers or daisies out of season, so I get your post now!!!

Royal Blue and Yellow IMO is a beautiful combination.   Maybe do the BM's in royal blue, have a broach or something on the dress in a yellow hue, and have the groomsmen do a vest that is a blue / yellow stripe design, with a yellow pocket square?   I could see a flurry of white roses (like snow, perhaps) all over the church with a yellow flower thrown in for a little color, maybe a blue stephanotis (sp?).  

So sorry you are dealing with this stress... I guess you at least have a few more months to try to get it all nailed down.  Try not to panic.  God is a great confidant and you can trust him to help you through this crisis.  Thanks for posting it on here, it helps to get it all out.  
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice! Do you know anything about the issue with white roses "bruising" really easily? I think the white flowers might take down the bright, summer feel but I don't want brown roses!!
    And on my dress, short isn't the right world, its tea length and very 50's/vintage in style, it actually looks almost exactly like my grandmothers dress from 1955.  So at least its not TOO summery.
    I'm glad to have this board too! Not complaining about the extra time but I am just a little bit of a psychotic planner. So this wrench in the cogs makes me nervous.
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't read everything here, but a way to have fun with your colors without changing them TOO much would be navy blue and gold or champagne! That is absolutely GORGEOUS for the winter! I actually prefer the blue and silver combo for Christmas sason over the multi colored lights and such, it seems so much more elegant and classy to me!
  • edited December 2011
    I think white roses are usually shipped with a box around each rose to prevent bruising.  From what I've heard, if you order them and get them a day prior, if you set them in some water, they "come back to life."  A lot of florists will send roses with the untrimmed petals around the outside so you can take off any petals that bruise or tear without taking away from the rose.  

Vintage tea-length would be awesome, no matter what time of year.  I think people who know and love you would love your dress even if it's in December.  That's just me, but I bet there are others who might agree!

• edited December 2011
    Hello!

The EXACT same thing happened to FI and I. We were engaged for a year and a half planning a summer wedding, then moved it back to winter for financial reasons.(however, when the winter wedding came around (it was supposed to be next weekend), we still weren't stable financially, so now we are moving it back again).  One thing that helped me with just all of the emotions was reminding myself that this is for the best. It's best to be financially stable in the beginning of your marriage. Try to keep reminding yourself that. It's soooo tough, but you'll pull through.  Since now I'm planning my THIRD wedding (since we've moved it back twice), I have some ideas for you!

We were trying to save money so we changed our centerpieces from flowers (summery) to branches (wintery). We collected branches outside, spray painted them white, hung little crystals off of them and some glitter and such, and put them in vases with white rocks in the bottom (we got the white rocks at menards or home depot in bulk- SUPER cheap, and got our vases at the dollar tree). They looked REALLY nice. However, now we aren't using those since we pushed it back again... but it's an idea.

About the flowers, saveoncrafts.com has bulsa wood flowers. They're really pretty and look extremely life-like.

For the dress, my bms were just going to keep their short dresses and freeze. I did buy them pashimas though online to put over their dresses. As for your dress, I think it would be totally fine to just keep it short. If you really dont' like it, maybe look into david's bridal $99 dresses or all of the clearance ones at neighborhood stores.

Heads up: Although summer was awesome planning for, I actually got REALLY into the winter theme. There are so many awesome things you can do. I'm a little heartbroken still that we have to move it back to summer again, because I was actually enjoying all of the wintery-stuff. i bet with time you'll feel the same.

Feel free to PM me if you need some encouragement. Sounds like we're in the same boat.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have any suggestions, but I know you will pull it off! I like the navy and gold idea. Let us know what you decide! 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips! I love the navy and gold idea, it keeps many of the same ideas I had before, just slight tweek to make it less summery.  The branches sound cool too. Thank you so much ladies! I really just needed the encouragment and yall have given that.
  • edited December 2011
    I echo the PPs about the branches idea... I am having my wedding in January and am definitely planning on doing some branches in my centerpieces. Of course, judging by your location the wedding won't be terribly cold (for me, I'm expecting no warmer than 25 degrees! And that is if I'm lucky...), so I am fairly confident that a short dress and your colors sound just fine.
  • squeakyducksqueakyduck member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the opposite problem! I was all set for a winter wedding but now I'm getting married in the spring. 

I wanted to use evergreen or pine tree branches as fillers for all the flowers instead of baby's breath or ferns. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KaitlinRichKaitlinRich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I understand... Ours got changed due to when we are graduating and now I get to start over too. The only advice I can think of is don't stress!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards