Michigan-Detroit

Alternative Centerpieces

Hello Ladies!

Before I began speaking with florists - we are trying to get ideas of centerpieces/themes we want.  We're trying to save some money on flowers and decorations, and in that case I was thinking of doing every other table with flowers and then some other centerpiece that might be cheaper.  I've been looking into the Manzanita Trees or Crystal Trees and thought this would be a fun DIY project.  Has anyone tried making one of these or been to a wedding that had them?  Trying to see if they really look good and might help save some money but look good too. :-)
Any information would be great. 
Thanks!

Re: Alternative Centerpieces

• sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen the manzanita tree centerpieces and they are gorgeous but from what I've heard they can be quite expensive, even to diy. You have to make sure you get good quality branches and then you have to have something to put them in (a pot or base of some sort), and then the crystals can get expensive too.

I'm not trying to discourage you by any means but I just think that these can turn out to be more expensive than people think.

Have you thought about doing something simple like hurricanes with pillar candles something similar? You can create really beautiful inexpensive centerpieces with candles and various shaped vases and things like that. That would be much cheaper and much easier to DIY.

I bought brown glitter wreaths from another knottie and will be using them for our centerpieces. I haven't decided if we are going to do some tables with floral centerpieces or not. I have enough of these to do all of the tables but I may want some higher centerpieces as well, not sure yet. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I looked into manzanita centerpieces for a few months. They are expensive to buy and shipping is a lot (unless you plan on buying like $300 worth) because they can't be compressed. If you do go that route you can make them a bit cheaper by buying those beaded curtians for about $30 and cutting strands off of them to hang on the trees.

It was much cheaper for me to get flowers than manzanita branches. Or you can do a bunch of different size pillar candles and a few flowers. Start following wedding blogs and you find tons of inspiration. I follow around 20 blogs and ideas are coming out of my ears.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you Ladies!
  • edited December 2011
    I've seen fruits being incorporated into centerpieces and they looked great.
  • edited December 2011
    I used wooden lanterns with a little bit of greenery and grapevine around them with candles.  I'm sure I have a picutre somewhere...I'll try to track it down for you. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I actually priced a centerpiece that is one big bloom in a small square vase- like a hydrangea or a ranunculus (sp??) which ended up being relatively inexpensive. I would mix it up with a more full centerpiece that is more expensive.

You can also talk to the florist about providing your own vessel for the flowers- then you can go to Michael's or Flower Factory with coupons.

I also saw the hurricane vase with a big pillar candle as the centerpiece when I checked out the Iroquois Club in Bloomfield Hills, and I loved it, so we might do a couple of those, too.
  • edited December 2011
    Taryn, if you do have pics of your centerpieces, show them! Our wedding is on Sweetest Day, so we are trying to limit the amount of flowers we use in centerpieces.
    Updated 9/21/2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    377 Invited image
    338 Ready to rock image
    40 Party poopers image
    0 still making up their minds image
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rachel has some pics of Taryn's centerpieces in her blog here:

http://abeautifuldayevents.blogspot.com/2009/12/taryn-brian.html
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, Kim!  I didn't even think to check Rachel's blog (DUH).

She has pics of both types of centerpieces I had...the floral (w/ grapevine ball) and the lanterns (w/ greens and a few random flowers the florist threw in because she had extra).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No problemo! I just happened to visit her blog yesterday and saw them so I knew they were there :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards