Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Unsure about how much beer and wine to buy

We are supplying beer and wine at our wedding. I've used the alcohol calculators, but I'm really confused about how much to buy. I know I need to budget for about five drinks per person, but I have no idea how many wine or beer drinkers I have. Should I just assume half drink beer and half drink wine? Or should I buy enough beer and wine for people to have five drinks of each? I'm worried I might have more beer or wine people than the other and run out of one. Also, how do I know how much white versus red wine to supply? Thanks.

Re: Unsure about how much beer and wine to buy

• How many of each are you having? How well do you know your crowd-drinkwise?

Let me just say, for instance, if it was my party and there were gonna be 100 guests, I'd get 2 full sized kegs of a crowd-pleasing beer like Bud LIght, and then 2 cases each of red wine and white wine (a case is 12 bottles).   Almost every liquor store on the planet accepts unopened packages for returns so if there are bottles that don't get opened or cases of beer that you don't touch you can always return them.   
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_unsure-about-how-much-beer-and-wine-to-buy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:fd1e4839-95f2-4d7c-91a9-a462d3e74c1ePost:53ea5e18-b781-4565-abf2-7d0b7e45339e">Re: Unsure about how much beer and wine to buy</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many of each are you having? How well do you know your crowd-drinkwise? Let me just say, for instance, if it was my party and there were gonna be 100 guests, I'd get 2 full sized kegs of a crowd-pleasing beer like Bud LIght, and then 2 cases each of red wine and white wine (a case is 12 bottles).   Almost every liquor store on the planet accepts unopened packages for returns so if there are bottles that don't get opened or cases of beer that you don't touch you can always return them.   
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>We are offering two kinds of beer and red and white wine. I don't know my crowd at all. A majority of the people I know don't drink, but I don't know much about my finace's side in that regard.</div><div>
    </div><div>And I'm not sure about returning unopened bottles. We were plannin gon buying all the wine from Trader Joes and most of the liquor stores didn't have anything as cheap as TJ's.</div>
  • If you're worried about not having enough you probably don't need to by enough for everyone to have 5 drinks of each, but you could buy enough so 3/4 of your guests were covered under the umbrella of 5 drinks of each. That should give you plenty of leeway, especially if you know many of your guests wont be drinking! I would do half red and half white with the wine selection, in my experience people are usually split pretty down the middle on that especially if you are offering entrees that pair well with each, I.e. chicken and beef. As far as leftovers go once you've purchased them you might as well keep them. My fiance and I are also purchasing our beer and wine ahead of time, any of our wine leftovers will go towards beginning a nice wine collection in our new home and the beer will go towards the inevitable family and friends barbeques we will be having throughout the summer in our new home : Just another idea!!! Good luck and congratulations!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards