Christian Weddings

altar call

Anyone doing this? FI & I would love to, just looking for advice on the best way to fit it into the ceremony. Thanks!

save the date
"Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>

Re: altar call

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We're not doing an altar call during the ceremony, but one of my pastors is presenting the Gospel.  All 4 of our pastors will be available after the ceremony to speak to anyone who feels lead/tugged/whatever you want to call it, and Pastor G will make that known while he is speaking.
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We did not do one.  I personally feel that it would be awkward to attend a wedding where there was an altar call.  I guess it's because I feel that the ceremony is about the bride and groom, not about the salvation of the guests.  I like FPA's idea of making it known that there are people to talk to after the ceremony if anyone wants to talk about it.

• xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_altar-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0300c80e-cb57-4148-b3b0-54b7dba67fa4Post:30f03cf9-fa8c-4b6b-8907-b7a1719c45ab">Re: altar call</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're not doing an altar call during the ceremony, but one of my pastors is presenting the Gospel.  
    Posted by fpaemp2011[/QUOTE]

<div>What do you mean by "presenting the Gospel"? </div>

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_altar-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0300c80e-cb57-4148-b3b0-54b7dba67fa4Post:973407a9-e06e-4def-b4fb-5bd483f3c5ee">Re: altar call</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: altar call : What do you mean by "presenting the Gospel"? 
    Posted by xstarx05x[/QUOTE]

We don't know exactly what he's going to say, because we're not giving him a script, but he's sharing the run-of-the-mill Salvation message.  Knowing Pastor G, he'll most likely use The Romans Road.   It'll probably be around 5 minutes long. 
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_altar-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0300c80e-cb57-4148-b3b0-54b7dba67fa4Post:fb5e5dbc-cadd-463c-bc0f-ee9d854ee59e">Re: altar call</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did not do one.  I personally feel that it would be awkward to attend a wedding where there was an altar call.  I guess it's because I feel that the ceremony is about the bride and groom, not about the salvation of the guests.  I like FPA's idea of making it known that there are people to talk to after the ceremony if anyone wants to talk about it.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

I echo Joe's thoughts.
  • edited December 2011
    I think your loving, Christ-centered relationship will speak more effectively to your guests than any sermon during a wedding ceremony. I would be afraid that my friends would feel like they were "tricked" into attending church when they were there to attend a wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think an altar call would be awkward for guests that aren't accustomed to such things occurring, even in church.

We had three readings from the Bible, hymns (that related to marriage), and a sermon that tied the readings, the hymns, and our relationship--and the tandem bike!--together in a beautiful message about a Christ-centered marriage.  

The point of a marriage ceremony is to celebrate your commitment to each other before God and man.  That's not to say that an unbeliever won't be moved by the messages presented, of course.  But I just don't think it's the place.
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

I never heard or thought of that. Usually, the readings, hymns and declaration of marriage led by the pastor is a good indication of your faith and where God resides in your life. However, if you feel led to do it, then do it. I would fit it in at the end after the bridal party exits, have a pastor there in case there is anyone who needs prayers. That way it is not an awkward silence. If people want to stay back they can or they can leave to congratulate the bride and groom.

• edited December 2011
    Our pastor usually just takes 5 minutes or so to compare the husband and wife to Christ and the church and kinda weaves the gospel into that. No altar call though.
  • xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    edited December 2011
    Although I respect not being intrusive, being a Christian does not mean you remain silent about your faith so people aren't uncomfortable. I'm not talking about some of those scary evangelists you see on TV shouting at everyone. I want to tell my family and friends together how FI has changed my life in helping me get right with God, and I think it could be an inspiration to some people there. I think this would be the perfect opportunity.

save the date
  • edited December 2011
    The marriage ceremony is the place for you and your pastor to decide what you want to do.  I for one WANT My pastor to make sure he mentions that this is a commitment before God, and that because the bride and groom are both believers, not only are we growing closer to each other, we will be growing closer to God.  Now, Some churches might ask you to consider it a "church service" with a wedding attached to it, and I think that might cross the line a little based on what my fiancee and I want.  However, if that's what you want, go for it.  After all -- it is selfish to believe that all the attention is due the bride and groom.  Aren't we trying to make sure that even in our marriage ceremony, God is reflected?  

In reality, any marriage ceremony involved a real church pastor is going to have an element of Christianity and hopefully Biblical messages weaved throughout.  For unbelievers who come to your ceremony, this might just inspire them to talk with that pastor after the ceremony.  Some churches even have the pastor process out with the wedding party not ONLY to clear out the church for photography, but also to give him a chance to be available if anyone from the attending congregation wants or needs guidance, prayer, or just a listening ear.  

Just my humble opinion!  Do what works for you.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards