Catholic Weddings
Options

Alternate First Readings

I've left two messages for my priest but still haven't heard back, so I'm wondering people on here have any experience with alternate readings for the first reading.

Like many other brides on here, I don't like most of the Old Testament readings in Together for Life. I've come across two others that I like, but I'm wondering if the priest is likely to allow them (he has been very lenient so far and even will allow secular music--like, the Beatles, if we want). In particular, I'm looking at the Ecclesiastes, Two are Better than one, or Book or Ruth, Wherever you go, readings.

Anyone use these or get shut down by the priest? I'm still going to keep trying my priest, of course, but I'm getting antsy.

Re: Alternate First Readings

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used the Ruth reading. My priest told me right from the beginning that he was OK with pretty much anything as long as it was in the bible.

I think the Ruth reading is actually listed at the back of the Together for Life book as a "suggested alternative" (just the reference, not the whole text).
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, we didn't even get one of those Together for Life books, so I couldn't tell you what is in there. You can pretty much choose any reading as long as it is in the Bible and one is from the Old Testament and one is from the New Testament.

As far as the music is concerned, we were not allowed any secular music. We were not even allowed the wedding march bc it is from a secular (Shakespeare) play. I would just ask to be sure. Some parishes are more lenient or liberal than others.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I thought I recall that passage from the book of Ruth being one of the options listed in Together for Life (but maybe I'm wrong).  And I know I've heard it at a Catholic wedding before.  Anyway, you should be able to use any selection from the Old Testament for your first reading, so long as your priest approves it. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    OK good to know. I flipped through Together for Life again and didn't see it, but maybe some versions have more 'alternates' or something. I feel better now-- If MOST priests will allow something, I am SURE this one will. He's quite laid back.

Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went with the Ruth reading because I hated all the others too. My priest approved and it made me happy. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also went with the Ruth reading because I didn't like the others our church suggested, and I think the one from Ruth has a great meaning.  Our priest was fine with it as long as it was from the Old Testament. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our first reading is Ecclesiastes 4:7-12.
  • Options
    preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We'll be using Ruth too...  We can use anything so long as it's appropriate.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have a pretty laid back priest and the together for life book. He told us that pretty much anything from the bible could be used, and we could pick our own if we didn't like any in the book. His only thing was that he preferred if the readings weren't normally used for things like funerals, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Talk with your priest.

Mine told us that we could pick anything we wanted and that the readings listed in the wedding book were suggestions not requirements.

I love Ruth 1:16-17 too and will probably use it as my first reading.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've chosen to use a reading for the song of songs, it's so beautiful and reads like Shakespeare.
    A reading from the Song of Songs 2:8-10.14.16; 8:6-7
    Love is strong as Death. I hear my Beloved.
    See how he comes
    leaping on the mountains,
    bounding over the hills.
    My Beloved is like a gazelle,
    like a young stag.
    See where he stands
    behind our wall.
    He looks in at the window,
    he peers through the lattice.
    My Beloved lifts up his voice,
    he says to me,
    'Come then, my love,
    my lovely one, come.
    My dove, hiding in the clefts of the rock.
    In the coverts of the cliff,
    show me your face,
    let me hear your voice;
    for your voice is sweet
    and your face is beautiful.'
    My beloved is mine and I am his.
    Set me like a seal on your heart,
    like a seal on your arm.
    For love is strong as Death,
    jealousy relentless as Sheol. The flash of it is a flash of fire,
    a flame of the Lord himself.
    Love no flood can quench,
    no torrents drown.

Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is a song that uses the song of songs poetry

http://www.spiritandsong.com/compositions/51669
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We asked to use Ecc 4:9-12 (the "two are better than one" reading) and our priest allowed it, even though it wasn't in the book.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards