Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Should I die my hair back to it's natural color before the wedding?

So I go through phases where I really hate my natural hair color (don't we all?) and I decided to try something different a few months ago and go red. Red red. My mom freaked out about it, but I assured her I just needed a change and it would be back to light brown for the wedding.

Problem is, I've come to really, really love my new hair color. It's safe to say I adore my hair, which is not usual. The red really flatters my skin tones (I'm anemic and very pale), and it makes me feel like I've got a little oomf in my style, lol.

So I'm completely torn as to whether or not I should keep the red come wedding day, go with an auburn, or just go back to light brown? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Should I die my hair back to it's natural color before the wedding?

• Options
    I voted for auburn because it seems like a good compromise, but if you really love the red, you should keep it that way. this is one of those decisions that really is completely up to you, with no right or wrong answer. I had red hair before the wedding and dyed it close to my natural color, and was very happy with that. My hair changes so often, I wanted to look as much like me as possible on my wedding day, if that makes any sense.

Another tip: if you are going to keep it red, have it professionally dyed about a week ahead of time. That way it will still be bright and fresh, but you can get a few washes in. There wouldn't be much worse than having it rained on and bleed on your dress.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    The red is really fun! It looks gorgeous on you...but the auburn would be a good compromise.  I voted auburn.  If you do change it, I would make sure that you color your hair auburn or whatever color you decide, a couple months before the wedding, and as the PP mentioned get it freshened up about a week before your wedding.  Even if you are going back to your natural, I wouldn't do any big changes just before the wedding (in case it doesn't work out.  Red tones can be hard to neutralize).    Definitely go see a professional for any changes, it's worth it! Especially for your wedding :)
  • Options
    I'm a hairstylist, and have BRIGHT red hair.  I'll be rockin my red at my wedding this June, and I think you should too!  But it's your hair, and your decision.  I do think the red looks great on your skin though!  If you decide to go back natural, it will be a bit of a process (red likes to hang around) so keep that in mind.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i generally never suggest to make a major hair color change for an important date like a wedding.
  • Options
    My hair is naturally dark blonde (I think, lol), and it's currently at a strawberry blonde color. I love my "new" hair color (it's been this color for about 8 months now). I see pictures from high school graduation: my hair was RED RED. College graduation? Very blonde. I think I'm going to keep this strawberry blonde, since it seems to work for me. (People can't believe I used to have blonde hair!) We're still  ~10 months away from The Big Day, though, so who knows. I may change my mind again.

But, to that point. If you love your hair color, stick with it. Although if you do decide to change it up, I'd say do it now so you can get used to it, and figure out how the dye holds in your hair. If you stick with the red, make sure you do/get touch ups about 6 weeks before your Big Day.
  • Options
    I say keep it red. I have a very similar situation, I bleached my light and ended up rally liking it. My mother dislikes it so much she offered to pay me to dye it back before the wedding. I refused. If you really like it, it's not worth changing it so someone else will be happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

l am having the same problem!!!
    I am african-american, my complexion is more along the lighter end of the spectrum but my natural hair color is a brown-sandy brown color. For the last two years I have been  auburn red which I love. My sisters said that I should change it back to it's original color for the wedding because I might look back and regret the red. I'm not sure what I am going to do, i am leaning on changing my hair color to my natural color and going back red afterwards just for pictures sake.

You look good in either color...do what you feel is right for you!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    1. Rock the Red, it's your wedding!
    2. Your wedding style will look dated in 20 years regardless of how you look. 
    3. Being happy and confident because you love your hair will not go out of style.
    4. Red is a pain to maintain, but have fresh color for the wedding - I would hate to stare at my roots for the next half-century.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards