Wedding Invitations & Paper

Last name on invitations

I was married before (many many years ago) and never changed my name back to my maiden name; however I do not want my ex-husbands name on my wedding invitations.  What's the 'etiquette' here?  I'm afraid if I leave my last name off entirely, "Shannon Elizabeth and Dennis Walter Smith invite you...' makes it sound like I am already a "Smith".  Am I over-reacting by wanting to leave my ex's name off?

Re: Last name on invitations

• Normally the Bride's last name does not appear on the invite. It would read...

The pleasure of your company in requested 
    at the marriage of

Shannon Elizabeth
    to 
    Dennis Walter Smith

Date 
    Time
    Venue
    City, State

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_last-name-on-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:d5d26158-c97c-4c3c-820b-2691f694d6cfPost:e7913c18-0270-4ed0-8e22-64a7e0c193a1">Re: Last name on invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Normally the Bride's last name does not appear on the invite. It would read... The pleasure of your company in requested  at the marriage of Shannon Elizabeth to  Dennis Walter Smith Date  Time Venue City, State
    Posted by brita722[/QUOTE]
    I believe this only applies when the bride's parents are hosting and they have the same last name.  Because it would read:
    Mr. & Mrs. John Doe request the peasure of your company at the marriage of their daughter Shannon Elizabeth to Dennis Walter Smith.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_last-name-on-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:d5d26158-c97c-4c3c-820b-2691f694d6cfPost:28b1a12b-d66d-4635-900e-3288619cee42">Re: Last name on invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Last name on invitations : I believe this only applies when the bride's parents are hosting and they have the same last name.  Because it would read: Mr. & Mrs. John Doe request the peasure of your company at the marriage of their daughter Shannon Elizabeth to Dennis Walter Smith.
    Posted by Jager1219[/QUOTE]

<div>Not necessarily. </div><div>
    </div><div>This wording can be used if the Bride and Groom are hosting the wedding themselves. Therefore there is no need to put the Bride's parents names on the invitation at all.</div>

Anniversary
  • This doesn't make sense to me:

Not necessarily.
    This wording can be used if the Bride and Groom are hosting the wedding themselves. Therefore there is no need to put the Bride's parents names on the invitation at all.

How would people know who the bride is?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_last-name-on-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:d5d26158-c97c-4c3c-820b-2691f694d6cfPost:6c061dc4-dac4-4663-b4cb-6088140b5d39">Re: Last name on invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Doesn't make sense to me either, I thought Bride's last name was omitted when parents are hosting only.. otherwise like PP said how would people know who the bride is..
    Posted by clovester[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I'm sure that CMGr knows, so maybe she will weigh in with what is technically correct.</div>
  • I stand corrected on the Bride's last name.... 

I suppose I just didn't consider sending an invitation to anyone who doesn't know me and wouldn't recognize my name. Nor would they be unaware of my upcoming wedding. 

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_last-name-on-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:d5d26158-c97c-4c3c-820b-2691f694d6cfPost:3d6869b1-3e11-4d2b-b5e7-160baa3dbf03">Re: Last name on invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]I stand corrected on the Bride's last name....<strong>  I suppose I just didn't consider sending an invitation to anyone who doesn't know me and wouldn't recognize my name. Nor would they be unaware of my upcoming wedding. 
    </strong>Posted by brita722[/QUOTE]

... really? Passive aggressive much?

I can honestly say that I've never considered not using my last name on the invitation, nor have I had any friends or family who haven't had the bride's last name on the invitation. It has nothing to do with sending an invitation to someone who doesn't know me or doesn't know I'm getting married -- my full name is my formal name, and with a formal invitation, I want to have my formal name.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_last-name-on-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:d5d26158-c97c-4c3c-820b-2691f694d6cfPost:434bdb13-a0be-4a9e-a5f6-0e89f28fe71c">Re: Last name on invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Last name on invitations : ... <strong>really? Passive aggressive much?</strong> I can honestly say that I've never considered not using my last name on the invitation, nor have I had any friends or family who haven't had the bride's last name on the invitation. It has nothing to do with sending an invitation to someone who doesn't know me or doesn't know I'm getting married -- my full name is my formal name, and with a formal invitation, I want to have my formal name.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

<div>I wasn't being passive aggressive. </div><div>
    </div><div>I truly never thought leaving my last name off of the invitation (even without my parent's names in the host line) would be an issue. Nor did I consider it to be confusing as to who I am, but that is mainly because I have an unusual name that no one else in my circle or family has. </div><div>
    </div><div>However, after some thought I do agree that it is less formal not to include last names (especially if the parents names are not on the invitation). So I've actually gone back and re-worked my own wording to include our last names and I like the way it looks much better. </div><div>
    </div><div>Tone cannot always be conveyed properly online.</div>

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards