Not Engaged Yet

Teeth Whitening

Have any of you used an at-home teeth whitening kit (ie Crest Whitestrips)? Experiences? Any particular brand and type you'd recommend? 

BF and I have decided we both want to whiten our teeth before we get pics taken in the next month or so (Christmas gift from his Mom's photog BF - basically, she has pics of her other son and his wife from their wedding but none of us, so this was her solution, I think).
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.

Re: Teeth Whitening

• tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I've done the Crest Whitestrips, several times. Though not recently... Anyways I say go for it. Laughing <--- This could be you!
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_teeth-whitening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d59e5638-677b-4220-92bc-655c641200e2Post:432d317b-e298-427a-b16c-226975f7f0ca">Re: Teeth Whitening</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've done the Crest Whitestrips, several times. Though not recently... Anyways I say go for it.<strong> <--- This could be you!</strong>
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

<div>*Giggle* Not until I have braces, to be honest. I'm hoping maybe whiter teeth will make me hate them less and subsequently not want braces anymore (actually, I want Invisalign, but ya know, same result). </div><div>
    </div><div>I think the Whitestrips are the most common. What specific type did you use? There seems to be a lot now. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • MaryLaura13MaryLaura13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just to interject ...I just got invisigln last month and I love it! My teeth are changing already. My teeth were my one big insecurity and I am finally starting to feel confident smiling in pictures! Do it if you get the chance (and money)
    Wedding Countdown TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic">" /> Bouquet Inspiration
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_teeth-whitening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d59e5638-677b-4220-92bc-655c641200e2Post:e66db51f-a056-4f1d-9a9f-663306d31531">Re: Teeth Whitening</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just to interject ...I just got invisigln last month and I love it! My teeth are changing already. My teeth were my one big insecurity and I am finally starting to feel confident smiling in pictures! Do it if you get the chance (and money)
    Posted by MaryLaura13[/QUOTE]

<div>Ya, it's a major insecurity for me. My childhood dentist wanted to put braces on me, but passed away before he had the chance. The next dentist I had (at braces age) didn't want to give me braces. And the dentist I have now (and have had for a long time now) also wants to. When he first brought it up, I asked my Mom about it, and she said they wouldn't pay for it. I was in high school at the time, so it wasn't unreasonable to ask them to, especially since they paid for my sisters a few years prior, and insurance would cover part of it. So, ya, its kind of a sore spot. I can't afford it at this point, but it's still something I would like to do in the future. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
    edited December 2011
    omgosh! I haaaaaate my teeth and just talked to my new dentist about getting invisalign.

I'm worried it will be wicked expensive. Like I saw the estimates for total cost, but how much does it cost per month?
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_teeth-whitening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d59e5638-677b-4220-92bc-655c641200e2Post:cfd3adca-541b-468e-af5f-1991c13caac9">Re: Teeth Whitening</a>:
    [QUOTE]omgosh! I haaaaaate my teeth and just talked to my new dentist about getting invisalign. I'm worried it will be wicked expensive. Like I saw the estimates for total cost, but how much does it cost per month?

<div>Noo clue. I just guarantee it's more than I can afford on my student budget. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
    edited December 2011
    Yea the website says something like $4,000 to $8,000, and of course it all depends on the condition of your teeth when you start.

When I was a student teacher, the 23 year old teacher I was working with had them. (She was in her second year of teaching.) Seemed like such a better alternative to braces. Which I actually had for 9 months, but like a jerk I didn't wear my retainer when I got them off and my teeth have shifted. Not to what they were when I was little, but still crooked.
    edited December 2011
    Ya I remember reading that a while ago and that was basically the end of my researching Invisalign at the time. I'm not even sure if my current dentist does Invisalign, but there is no way I want normal braces, so it would mean going to someone else. I already get mistaken for a teenager, pretty sure normal braces would only make that worse.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
    edited December 2011
    Confession: I had braces at 19! It sucked. But that's when my parents could afford it... Hence me being a jerk for not wearing the stupid retainer after I got them off. Ugh my dad brings it up all the time. Thanks, Dad.
    edited December 2011
    Haha, 19 eh? Now they put braces on 8 year olds. No joke. A friend of mine's daughter got braces at 8 or 9. This girl is the tiniest 9 year old I've ever met, it's unbelievable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I went through the lovely time of having braces from 8th grade to sophomore year (expanders and all), wore my retainer every day....and then had all 4 of my wisdom teeth come in...  yeah, not cool.

But to answer the original question, I've used Crest Whitestrips a few times and I loved the results.  I tried again last year and bought the cheap original set (2 weeks) and couldn't remember to use them.  I plan on getting the advanced ones that only take a few days soon and then probably once more just before the wedding.
    Anniversary
  • MaryLaura13MaryLaura13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_teeth-whitening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d59e5638-677b-4220-92bc-655c641200e2Post:cfd3adca-541b-468e-af5f-1991c13caac9">Re: Teeth Whitening</a>:
    [QUOTE]omgosh! I haaaaaate my teeth and just talked to my new dentist about getting invisalign. I'm worried it will be wicked expensive. Like I saw the estimates for total cost, but how much does it cost per month?

It depends where you live and if you need a full set or just top or bottom. I needed a full set and it is costing me $5000. I paid half up front (which I took out of my savings) and now I pay $275 a month for 10 months. I had paid off my car and thats why I decided to do it. Alot of dentists do a finance option too. If you are interested to just see if you are a candidate and what it costs go to the invisigln website and find a doctor near you, most of them do free consoltations.
    Wedding Countdown TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic">" /> Bouquet Inspiration
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using the Crest 3-D toothpaste and mouthwash currently, and I can definetly see a difference. I have tried the strips which i had some problems with. Firstly, my teeth are not perfectly straight (not that they are overly crooked, I just have one tooth that sits a little further back) and the strips don't get every tooth. The two around it get too white and the one that is slightly back remains the same color. Secondly, I have sensitive teeth and the strips bother it. I have in the past used the Aquafresh trays and they worked fairly well, and avoided those problems.

Hope this help!

{Little A2} 1
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My dentist recommended Crest Whitestrips. He didn't think I was a good candidate for professional whitening because I have white spots on my teeth.

I just bought the sensitive ones because I was a little scared of the regular kind. I've only used 'em once so far. Check the Amazon reviews--I think the middle of the road Crest Whitestrips have the best review.
  • edited December 2011
    I've whitened my teeth with all kings of brands, and honestly they all have the same ingredients and work similarly. I now use the walmart brand...they work just as well as Crest...and they cost a lot less. I don't think the effects last as long as I would like...so if you want super white teeth for the day of your pics, just time it so you're using the last strip the morning of your pics. (14-day pack start 14 days our, 7-day pack, start 7 days out.)

Hope this helps and saves you some money too!!
    edited December 2011
    Hoagh - I'm sorry to hear that whitestrips don't really work on un-straight teeth. My 2 front teeth are slightly ahead of the rest (which you can't really see by looking, but I suspect it would be enough to screw things up), and my bottom teeth are just a disaster. Soo...looks like whitestrips won't work for me. We went to look at our options last night, and whitestrips seem to be the cheapest option (the white trays at $15 more), so we're reconsidering this whole idea. I have a dental appointment this afternoon, so I'm going to ask him about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The old Crest Whitestrips didn't work on crooked teeth - the newer ones stick better (they're actually a little hard to get off) so you just have to be sure to press it between the crevices.

I'm a big fan of Crest Whitestrips, but I'd advise one every-other day instead of two times per day every day to avoid sensitivity.  It still whitens very quickly (within a week or two) but you won't have as sensitive teeth (in my experience, at least!).

I reallllllly want Invisalign, but I can't justify the cost.  It would be $5000 for me, and I feel like if I'm going to do it, I should do it now since they'll be straight in time for me to get married, and it's the longest time I'll likely be in one place for awhile since we'll be moving every year or so once BF goes active duty.

Anniversary

• leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I should also add if sensitivity is an issue, start brushing with Sensodyne about a week before you start the whitening strips. That's a tip from my friend who's a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards