Catholic Weddings
Options

Flower girl in church???

Hello everybody....
I have been contemplating having a flower girl at our wedding because of the simple fact that the church does not allow for flower petals, rice, bubbles or anything to be thrown in or outside the church. Can you guys give me any suggestions of alternatives or will it be better to just not have a flower girl??? opinios please??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Flower girl in church???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Why not have her carry a pomander (real or fake) or a small bouquet. My FG's were not allowed to throw petals either, but they still carried a little bouquet. There are pics in my married bio if you want to take a look.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having my little snow fairies carry a few stems of white roses and hand them out to people as they walk down the aisle.  They are old enough to handle this responsibility though; 4 (going on 40) and 8.

Hope this helps!

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Our church had the same rule, and I decided not to have a flower girl.

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Give her a little bouquet or a basket of flowers
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My 3 flower girls will be carrying Pom Balls.. But you can also make them small bouquets to carry if you don't want to do pom balls
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having my flower girl carry a wire basket overflowing with beautiful flowers that match the older girls' bouquets.  I think she can carry something without having to throw things.  Also, see if there are any traditions you could incorporate.  Irish brides consider it good luck to have a horseshoe carried down the aisle.  So, you could ask you family and google to see if there is a neat tradition you could include like that...
  • Options
    lauraNkieranlauraNkieran member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our church did allow petals to be thrown but our FG was too nervous walking down the aisle to do it.  The alternative (before we knew the churches rules) was to have the florist fill her basket with flowers matching the girls bouquets.
  • Options
    Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our chapel had the same rules, so we had our flower girls carry pomander balls along with a rosary and veil (Catholic/Filipino wedding items).  I was disappointed in her not being able to throw the petals at first, but quickly got over it and fell in love with the pomander balls!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a flower girl twice when I was little and never threw petals. I carried a basket, one time with real flowers and one time with silk. I never knew the difference and thought flower girls only did that in movies until I was like, 20!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    our church has the same rules so we're going to have our flower girl carry a basket filled with the same flowers as the BM bouquets. the pomander balls are also super cute, and mini bouquets work really well too. you've got options! GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies, i guess I have more options then I thought!!! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having flower princesses.
    I made their flowers look like wands with crystals and streamy ribbons so they can carry their scepters. Try looking up pictures of scepter bouquets, they're a nice alternative to pomanders and look different that regular bouquets.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my FGs will also be carrying pomanders, they will be real flowers though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    www.mrandmrsponce.com
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    the pomanders are cute.

i'd be cautious on teh age of your flower girl, though.  my cousin had an FG who was about 3, and she had a pomander, and boy did she love swinging and whacking that thing everywhere.  so, of course, the petals all fell off anyway.

if you do a FG, to avoid mess, i'd make sure you pick one who's a little older, say 6 or 7.   but IMO, i think this is a good age regardless of whether you can have the mess of petals or not.
  • Options
    Tuneful_BrideTuneful_Bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had 2 FGs. They carried small bouquets. For the Marian devotion after the vows, We tied the two smaller bouquets together and carried them to the statue of the Blessed Mother. We liked the symbolism of tying the two bouquets together, and it solved the problem of where the flowers would be before we did the devotion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards